Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ferrari itch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016 | 05:34 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Only Ferrari I have ever driven was a paddle 360. I hated it. Would love to have gotten into a gated 430 when they were lower but price rise matches what we've seen with 997 GT3 RSs. A bit nuts but driven by the same factor- no more manual. A friend of mine just traded in a 6 speed 430 Spyder on a green .1 RS and did pretty well.
Right but a manual is not a manual. Fact is Ferrari manuals were never any good to begin with.
Old 07-08-2016 | 06:11 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I scratched my itch wit a 355 GTB, loved the looks, feel, especially the sound, BUT it just felt too slow. Like a modern Camry V6 could give me a run for my money from stop light to stop light.
Obviously there is more to a car than that but I grabbed a 360 Challenge Stradale and absolutely love it. Although it's not that much of an increase in power over the 355, the lower weight and racecar like chassis setup make it a completely different animal. I find myself passing up the RS and grabbing the keys to it when it's time for a nice drive.

I also have a F512M which is a 12 cylinder GT car, more in the vane of the 599 you mentioned but light years apart in technology/performance so I can't make any genuine comparisons for you. However what really sets it apart from our P cars is the noise, how low you are sitting, how wide it is, oh and the did I mention the noise.

I say got scratch the itch, you will probably enjoy whichever car you get, but be warned it is not a thirst you can quench with one quick sip. Once you have a taste from that sweet cup from Maranello you will be forever cursed with a thirst that can only be satisfied by another F car.
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2016 | 11:20 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

i got the itch recently again, for an older gated shifter to go with my aircooled Porsches. I choose the 348 for the period styling and it's the bargain in gated shifting Ferrari's if there is such a thing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2016 | 10:15 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,410 Likes on 647 Posts

Okay lets back up a bit- you want a manual trans ferrari and are considering a 599?

because if so- they're 500k now.

I'm probably one of very few who has owned one, and I personally loved it. My only issue was servicing it, I didn't really like who I had to deal with on that end.

I bought my gated shifter 599 and drove it daily for a year. LOVED IT. Noises!! Clink, clink, raaaaaaarrrrrrr. And I really drove it. Drove it across the country- super practical because of the trunk. Same engine as the enzo. It's a great car- but like I said they're 500-600k now depending on miles.

The clutch master slave cylinder blew on mine and was the first ever car that broke down on me.

I should never have sold it. Oh well.

550M is your best bet financially in terms of keeping it in the $200's. Gorgeous car and lots of them were pampered.

Service sucks on these- if something breaks you will be waiting a while for parts.
Old 07-09-2016 | 11:40 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 221 Posts

I have always liked the idea of a manual 360 but realise they are not that quick of a thing. Still, it seems like the gated shifter, the sound and the handling characteristics would make it an excitIng car to own? I would have to sell my 996 GT3 though and not willing to take such a hit in performance capabilities. I see some relatively higher mileage 360s for sale...isn't a clutch $10K on one of these things?

I have driven a 430 Scud on track and while it was a nice experience, it felt quite generic compared to a GT3.
Old 07-10-2016 | 10:17 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 286 Posts

Had one of the last 612 Scagliettis here with MT. Black/black with Tubi exhaust. Extremely low key since it looks like a large 2-door sedan. Like most of my cars it sits a lot and it kept developing leaks: clutch master cylinder twice, brake master cylinder mystery leak, RMS, and some place on tranny.

In years of ownership no one ever recognized it as a Ferrari. I would not recommend this car.

Last edited by Igooz; 07-10-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2016 | 10:55 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,410 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
I have always liked the idea of a manual 360 but realise they are not that quick of a thing. Still, it seems like the gated shifter, the sound and the handling characteristics would make it an excitIng car to own? I would have to sell my 996 GT3 though and not willing to take such a hit in performance capabilities. I see some relatively higher mileage 360s for sale...isn't a clutch $10K on one of these things? I have driven a 430 Scud on track and while it was a nice experience, it felt quite generic compared to a GT3.
Anything that goes wrong on your ferrari is 8-12k vs the same being said at 2-5k on a porsche.
Old 07-10-2016 | 02:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

348,355 and 360 all require slightly more love.
430 manual would be a wise choice.

550 and 599 are great front engine V12 examples. Open your wallet if you must.

458 is paddle shift but light years better then 360 and 430. Open your wallet for it if you can.
Old 07-10-2016 | 10:36 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I always felt the 355 was a BIG improvement over the 348. The 360 always left me cold. I liked the F430 but I believe the 6-speeds are getting too pricey.

458 and on are fantastic except for the transmission. This whole move to manu-matics is killing my passion for some awesome new cars. One day I'm just going to have to get over it.
Old 07-11-2016 | 01:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
if something breaks you will be waiting a while for parts.
thx u saved me lots of money.
waiting is not my forte
Old 07-11-2016 | 01:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
thx u saved me lots of money.
waiting is not my forte
Understatement of the year
Old 07-11-2016 | 09:50 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Having owned multiple Ferraris, I think you'll enjoy one if you add it to your stable. The combination of a GT3RS and a Ferrari is a fantastic combination and will give you two very different driving experiences - both amazing in their own way.

Hard to go wrong with a well-maintained 360, either manual or F1 trans. There are plenty on the market and are maybe the best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to a modern Ferrari. My 360 with F1 trans has been a reliable and trouble free and most of the 911's I've owned. You should probably drive one with the F1 trans to see if you like it. Contrary to what many say, I personally I find it very engaging and fun to use. If you're one who insists on 3 pedals, then look for a manual. Either one is a great driving experience.

Like any high end sports car, just be sure to get a reputable PPI and find one that has had a recent full service including timing belts. Also, be sure not to listen to the nay-sayers who have probably never even been in a Ferrari much less owned one and simply regurgitate what they read on the internet.

You may want to consider a 430 over the 360. While some argue the 360 is a more attractive car (I happen to agree) the 430 is less expensive to maintain (more expensive to buy) mostly due to having timing chains vs belts on the 360. A 599 is a phenomenal car but is a very different kind of Ferrari from a 360/430.

If you want some more information or have some specific question, feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-11-2016 | 09:55 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Service sucks on these- if something breaks you will be waiting a while for parts.

Nonsense. I've never found a part on any of my Ferraris that took longer to get than any Porsche part. And if you believe service sucks, you're not going to the right shop. Granted, if one lives out in the boonies competent service might be difficult, but probably the same with a Porsche.
Old 07-11-2016 | 03:06 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 451 Likes on 268 Posts

Okay lets back up a bit- you want a manual trans ferrari and are considering a 599?

because if so- they're 500k now.

I'm probably one of very few who has owned one, and I personally loved it. My only issue was servicing it, I didn't really like who I had to deal with on that end.

I bought my gated shifter 599 and drove it daily for a year. LOVED IT. Noises!! Clink, clink, raaaaaaarrrrrrr. And I really drove it. Drove it across the country- super practical because of the trunk. Same engine as the enzo. It's a great car- but like I said they're 500-600k now depending on miles.

The clutch master slave cylinder blew on mine and was the first ever car that broke down on me.

I should never have sold it. Oh well.

550M is your best bet financially in terms of keeping it in the $200's. Gorgeous car and lots of them were pampered.

I had NO IDEA they had gotten that expensive!

I was fortunate enough to be in Italy, interning with a certain Italian design firm, during the car's development. Inspiration came from a 250SWB that was often thrown gregariously sideways into corners around the design studio.

Absolutely agree that a 550 would be a great alternative for the price point.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-11-2016 | 10:16 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had owned 6 Porsches, incl a 997 TTS.... and then got into Ferrari cars...first a 430 Scuderia and the 599 GTB HGTE.....and now the 997.2 GT3.

The Ferrari cars were more fun than the TTS.

The GT3 is THE BEST of all.

The Ferrari's were boring in comparison to GT3. Fast...sure...but BORING. Poor feel to steering. flappy paddles to the F1. Garnered a lot of attention but that became a nuisance. And... they are money sinks. A friend had to replace a windshield on a 599 due to a pebble crack that extended......8 weeks and $8000...explain that to the wife!

IF you must have a Ferrari...go with an F12 for front engine experience in GT mode or a 458 Speciale for mid engine racer mode. If speed and prowess aren't your thing then get a low miles 328 as they are lovely and fun to drive, too.

GT3...the best of all!

Quick Reply: Ferrari itch