Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 03:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
This one has been on the market for a while with weekly price reductions. Started at $130k and now down to $112k. It doesn't have any options except for adaptives but seems very well priced now for a 15k mile 997.2 GT3. I'm surprised it has not sold yet.

WP0AC2A97AS783229

https://mart.pca.org/ads/46618
I just wonder if they're asking too much for .2 narrow bodies (esp a low MSRP example as this)

that's just approaching .1 RS territory IMO

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 12-30-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:05 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
“That Merit stripper 4.0” is soon off to its next driver; BIG congrats to the new owner; you better drive the wheels off of it! I will drone on in a separate reply/thread about my fun journey with that 4.0 and 997 gt’s in general.

In the meantime, I wanted to give a shout-out to Burt and Jonathan at Merit. I have bought/sold my fair share of cars over the years. I did most of the legwork myself early on. I’ve found a VERY small list of good-guy dealers along the way. Merit takes it to an entirely different level. Their combination of integrity an no-BS results are unparalleled in my experience. They also make the process as enjoyable or at least as low-hassle as possible. Personally, I think buying is fun. Selling cars SUCKS. I have done my fair share of selling lately and Merit has exceeded my expectations in every transaction. And I did NOT make it easy on them. I was a PITA. I tested them a lot. They responded each time with transparency and creativity to find solutions; not excuses. They have a GREAT network of buyers/sellers. They don’t flake or back-out. If they tell you something, they stand on it. And that is my most consistent complaint of even most “good-guy” dealers; they just don’t come through when things get tough. Merit does. Anyway, I have no skin in the game with them. I just wanted to make it clear that they have separated themselves from anyone else I’ve ever dealt with in the hobby. I highly recommend anyone to give them a call and build a relationship; I think it will pay off in multiples, especially if you are as afflicted with this hobby as I am.

bye bye 997’s; it was a he11 of a ride.
Glad it was a good experience for you - nice easy sales are always so enjoyable.

From a buyers perspective - dealing with them wasn't great / downright frustrating. Had a nice 30 minute chat when we both found out the car was coming in for sale (around 4 weeks early or so). I asked for vin / details/ condition etc.
He wouldn't tell me anything - just promised to reach out to me ASAP - once he had complete details / got the car in. Then we could discuss all including pricing.

The next several weeks - I called a few times, and texted several times. All no response. Total radio silence.

Sure enough - next thing I know - it gets discussed on Rennlist with link to their website showing full pictures, advertised to the public.

I guess they just didn't want to sell to me - annoying and pretty strange tbh.

The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:34 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I just wonder if they're asking too much for .2 narrow bodies (esp a low MSRP example as this)

that's just approaching .1 RS territory IMO
I think it's now quite a bit below where you can find comparable mileage/condition .1RSs.
Also, not sure too many people are cross shopping .1 RS with .2 non-RS. I could be completely wrong, but I know I never did. No question the RS is the ultimate GT3 for the track, but for street/canyon carving the non-RS may be an easier car to live with.

Last edited by GlenGT3; 12-30-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:39 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
75 hours was probably a long time ago. I would go for it if everything is in working order. It’s a very good price.
Agreed. Car has 530 hours now so this was a loooong time ago. If we average out the miles and hours, this happened when the car had 2k miles on it. It now has 15k. I think it's safe to say that if no problems from the overrev appeared in 13k miles following the incident, then no damage was done.

Why compromise with a blight for life? You guys are trigger happy and it’s setting precedent for future purchases. Come on....530hrs on a motor is a pittance. Down the longer road that’s completely different.....
Old 12-30-2020, 04:41 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Why compromise with a blight for life? You guys are trigger happy and it’s setting precedent for future purchases. Come on....530hrs on a motor is a pittance. Down the longer road that’s completely different.....
I'm not sure what you're saying. What is being trigger happy? Are you saying 530 hours since an overrev is not enough time to know if any damage was done?
Robocop305 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:47 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I just wonder if they're asking too much for .2 narrow bodies ..........
You're forgetting this is crazy Porsche world, lol. Now that Porsche went to wide body across the whole 911 line, narrow body cars will be considered historical gems and highly sought after. I mean "they don't make them anymore". On one hand I'm joking around, on the other, I can see that happening.
GlenGT3 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:05 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

I'm not sure what you're saying. What is being trigger happy? Are you saying 530 hours since an overrev is not enough time to know if any damage was done?
You won’t know in 530hrs. Of course you have the document which states what Porsche will CPO, but why document higher revs if it isn’t an issue? Why not go to the 996’s way of recording just 1 and 2 for all ranges.....

Loom at all the high milers....none have beyond 1’s. It’s not just the rods that stretch or bolts that fatigue, the head is the money part.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:18 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
You won’t know in 530hrs. Of course you have the document which states what Porsche will CPO, but why document higher revs if it isn’t an issue? Why not go to the 996’s way of recording just 1 and 2 for all ranges.....

Loom at all the high milers....none have beyond 1’s. It’s not just the rods that stretch or bolts that fatigue, the head is the money part.
I would love to know what you think can change or break on the cylinder head as a result of an overrev, 530 engine hours and 13k miles after the event. Please educate me. I'm being sincere.
Robocop305 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Glad it was a good experience for you - nice easy sales are always so enjoyable.

From a buyers perspective - dealing with them wasn't great / downright frustrating. Had a nice 30 minute chat when we both found out the car was coming in for sale (around 4 weeks early or so). I asked for vin / details/ condition etc.
He wouldn't tell me anything - just promised to reach out to me ASAP - once he had complete details / got the car in. Then we could discuss all including pricing.

The next several weeks - I called a few times, and texted several times. All no response. Total radio silence.

Sure enough - next thing I know - it gets discussed on Rennlist with link to their website showing full pictures, advertised to the public.

I guess they just didn't want to sell to me - annoying and pretty strange tbh.
EZ, yeah, sorry about how things were handled in regards to you specifically. I actually blame most of that radio silence and lack of detail on me. I teed them up a few mos ago and then went radio silent for several weeks and then needed it sold asap (before end of year preferably). So I primarily am the reason to blame for that. And, like we discussed, the couple of times I tried to reach out to you directly via PM, I got a “full inbox” error issue. From what I understand, the process was characterized by a TON of people that wanted to ask a ton of questions and lob in bids that were more representative of a peak covid fear-factor market. Only a couple said “that’s reasonably priced, i’l take it”, which is more what this market is like at this point in time. A lot of the enthusiast crowd on here wanted to buy from me below where dealers would take it on trade, believe it or not. There aren’t a ton of 4.0’s that come to market. We’ve seen every other car creep up in the last few months. I think a lot of enthusiasts were hopeful the 4.0 market was completely immune to that; it was not .

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 12-30-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
Is this someone from RL?

2010 7.2, Black
Well, I decided to try to buy this car anyway, instead of waiting for the work projects to be done. I've been able to exchange a few texts with Jon Overton, but don't have the info I'm looking for yet (service history, mostly). Hopefully soon!
Old 12-30-2020, 05:58 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Burren
Well, I decided to try to buy this car anyway, instead of waiting for the work projects to be done. I've been able to exchange a few texts with Jon Overton, but don't have the info I'm looking for yet (service history, mostly). Hopefully soon!
Very nicely optioned car. Good luck!!
Old 12-30-2020, 06:24 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

I would love to know what you think can change or break on the cylinder head as a result of an overrev, 530 engine hours and 13k miles after the event. Please educate me. I'm being sincere.

Glen,

The “vagueness” in the event occurring after 530hr and 13000+mi is my point. You won’t know. How many motors have you broken before? I’ve broken a few on the EJ207/257 (8500rpm/7200rpm) variants. Different tune state is a given, but surpassing a threshold holds out either now or later for a catastrophic event. Unless you tear down the motor after it occurs, you won’t know. I won’t know. But it only takes 1, I repeat 1 spring to drop a valve and it’s over. That’s after pushing it more and more. Maybe it would last longer if you babied and never exceeded 6.5k it’s entire life. But rest assured, there’s damage done. Sure, look up the build and tear down threads for the GT1 and GT3 spec 996/997 variants. Time out and Life out can be related, but not always. You take the risk. I won’t and many others for resale and longevity reasons.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

FYI, the only GT car Doug at Switchcars has left is the very very clean white/red 7.2 RS
Old 12-30-2020, 07:05 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 258 Posts

Very nicely optioned car. Good luck!!
NVM, already sold.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:36 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Overton
That was mine. I am currently seeking out a buyer for this car for the dealership that has it. Car has only had 500 or so miles put on it in the last 12 months. Should be exactly as it was when I listed it, which was just about flawless. If anyone is interested I can try to work a deal out with the current seller for you. Just shoot me a text. 865-850-9199
Hi, Jon. Very happy to report that as of a few hours ago, I am your buyer.

The car and I are back home now after some backroad detours, and have exchanged parts of our souls. It is, as you note, absolutely flawless, and I am about as picky as they come. I was expecting something. Anything. But it's perfect. Literally nothing I could nit. Inside, out, underneath, etc. I would probably have kept the center locks black, but I get the vision on the caliper matching aesthetic.

This is my first Mezger GT car, and the hype is all entirely true. Several distinct "there's no way it has more power" moments on open interstate today. The thing just doesn't stop pulling.

Your broker, Charles, is an absolute stand-up, no-BS, good guy. Great transaction. Fair dealing. No games. Clearly an enthusiast himself.

Glad to have joined the 7.1-2 ranks.

Cheers.

Last edited by jreifler; 12-30-2020 at 09:44 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by jreifler:
9872SpeedYellowCS (12-31-2020), Abby997 (12-31-2020), Jon Overton (12-31-2020), monk46 (12-31-2020), Robocop305 (12-31-2020), XrussianX (12-31-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...