Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 is reliable!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 is reliable!

I was driving my car the other day, in the rain, and hit 20,000 miles....and it didn't blow up! Curiously, though, 2 ignition coils were malfunctioning and they've all now been replaced. Good to go!!!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

wait till you hit 40, just like in life, things start to fall apart
Old 01-21-2016, 12:44 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced all my ignition coils on my 07 when I'd changed the plugs at 16k miles. Wasn't that expensive. Preventative.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:15 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, coils have gone through a few revisions and upgrades- the biggest made the cases bigger/thicker to withstand the heat and stop cracking which would lead to a short and missfire in the wet. Just need to remember to get the longer securing bolts when you order!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

So you consider a car with 20k miles needing new ignition coils to be reliable?

Is this serious?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:24 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Lew,

It's been fun watching you go through cars over the years. I remember your scud, the 599 and now this GT3. Sounds like you might stick with this one for a while?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
So you consider a car with 20k miles needing new ignition coils to be reliable?

Is this serious?
well, it's at least better than Audi who ships car with faulty coils, replaces with faulty coils and then does a recall to put in slightly less faulty coils.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:47 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha, i put just over a quarter million miles on my '71 Type III VW Squareback, and sold it running fine, watched it head away to the other side of the country. But then, it only 52 ponies. The oil filter was just a metal screen, enough to keep out things like bolts and nuts from the oil gallery. Once, on a trip, the throttle cable broke, so I took off my shoelaces, tied them together, and ran them back to the throttle, and drove by pulling on the laces to accelerate, over my shoulder. Gotta be resourceful. Then there was the time I did a 360 in the air in my MGB, landed back on the wheels. Or the time i rolled my dad's '59 Anglia in my HS parking lot, putting it on its roof in front of the principal's office.

Someday I should write about my automotive adventures.

See you soon at the Rolex,

all the best....

NV
Old 01-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^great idea NV. Will look forward to it.

I have had Square backs, Notch backs and square back- 4 or five of each quirky cars. Rust gets them especailly under back seat in the corners or inner front wings (fenders). My green 72 fastback was my first ever car at the age of ten- put a built type 4 2 litre motor running twin webers- that got me into a few scrapes including spinning it and getting it wedge sideways across the road stuck firm between two cars with out touching them, there was literally an 1" clearance front and back.... this was 10 minutes after passing my driving test lol!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, for my Squareback, i put on wider rims from a 914, Addco sway bars, Koni shocks, about 8 VDO instruments, a 0-4K rpm Tach fit right where the clock was, the flat four's redline was 2700 RPM. Then rebuilt the motor with Gene Berg Parts, 8 dowel crank. From time to time would drop the motor, remove the back engine cover, climb in, remove four bolts and with a big "heave-ho", pull the motor back and then let it down on the floor. About 20 minutes to remove or reinstall the motor. Sort of like the way Audi makes their Le Mans cars so the mechanics can remove and replace the whole back end of the car in a few minutes. I had an army Chinook mechanic make up some aircraft oil lines, for a full flow external oiling system. The months i was doing much of this work at Bragg, learning Vietnamese, another Captain, a good friend, went over to Italy, and brought back a red long nose four cam GTB, and his Ferrari was parked out in the rain next to my loyal VW. He told me when he was looking at used Ferrari's in Italy, every salesman told him every one had been owned by Gina Lollabridgida. We went to Vietnam together, but he soon got TB from his work, and was returned to "The Land of the Big PX.

I learned the "drop back, accelerate, pull out to go-no go pass" way of overcoming cars. A simple passing maneuver took on all the tactical planning of a military operation.

The fold down back seats were nice when I was seeing a German Girl in Munich, when we would drive way up into the mountains. No story there......

all the best...

NV
Old 01-22-2016, 11:05 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

NV, you really, really should write a "life experiences" book and/or become a contributing writer for Automobile or Road & Track Magazine....

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 is reliable!