Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 VS 930 (Thinking trade???)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:39 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GT3 VS 930 (Thinking trade???)

For those of you on this forum with an opinion (can of worms opened) please enlighten me as I am thinking of trading into a 997 GT3 from my 930. The Ideal situation would be to find someone that would like to go the other direction +/- cash depending on car, condition, etc. If not I think I can get the right kind of money out of my car to make this deal happen either way. That being said I would really like some feedback from anyone who has had the opportunity to have spent seat time in both cars especially a modified 930 vs GT3 to tell me I’m nuts or what are you waiting for.

I was also thinking this community may be able to provide some direction in finding a GT3. What I should be looking out for. Some reputable dealers that may have them more often than others, or better yet if there is someone on RL with car ADD that is looking to move in a different direction.

I do have 95% of the original parts for my car (missing 16” Fuchs wheels and the Radio) it does have the following upgrades. G50 5 speed, Split case rebuild with under 3,000 miles GT3 oil pump, additional crankshaft oiling ports, ARP hardware, NEW P’s & C’s, 964 cams, K27, B&B intercooler, Elephant fin tube style oil lines, Lindsey Racing 8x17 & 11x17’s

Car in question below

Name:  IMG_5852_zpsiyptqqws.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6227_zpsfhb47gsy.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  154.8 KB

Name:  9304014_zps3d9a5740.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  92.4 KB
Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

about 3+ years ago, my business partner sold his '75 gray market 930 for $35k, it was really nice, seemed to drive ok. I would suspect it would be worth more now. As for the OP's question, going vintage versus more modern performance is something someone has to answer for themselves

all the best....

NV
Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

930 is iconic. I've driven a 4 speed 930 a few times. if i owned both GT3 and 930, I'd spend more time looking and washing/waxing the 930 and more time driving the GT3. I personally didn't enjoy driving the 930.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I had own a 1986 930, with a well prep engine.
Both cars are different, I really like the 930 a lot, however prefer the GT3.

link of my ex-930: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turb...-for-sale.html
Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

You need both. I wouldn't sell one for the other.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:57 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

Cant comment on gt3.....but gt2 and 930 i have. Gt2 is a precision scalpel that has excessive speed while 930 demands respect, requires some concentration but envelopes in old school sound and smell....you can appreciate the 33 year lineage from my 76 to the 09....for me 930 is more fun and the weekend rides and gets more thumbs up.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

First off, great looking car. A nice example.

I own both, if you PM a phone number I am happy to talk live. As said, they are two different cars and you need both. I am guessing that is not the kind of help you were looking for.

It all comes down to what you want to do with the car and whether you are prepared to live with the reliability issues of the 930.

For street driving I will take the 930 over the GT3 any day of the week. The GT3 is clearly fun, but it has too much power and too much grip to be much fun on the street. Yes it is cool to take a windy mountain road at 50+ MPH without touching the brakes. The acceleration is fantastic, but you never get it out of 3rd unless you are really pushing the speed limit as the gears are quite tall. Granted, you can change R&P to address this. The 930 on the other hand has to be muscled around that same mountain road and it is work. She understeers, oversteers, has braking issues (no ABS) and it takes a lot more concentration and skill to drive her well. It has all the power you need on the street. That said, if you do a canyon run with a bunch of GT3s be prepared to be the last car in the group.

On track the GT3 is superior. Tons of grip, precise turn-in, easy to manage at the limit, and the limit is approachable as the car has great feel. The car will give you good lap times, but it is becoming harder to keep up with the newer 991s. You have to work hard to do so. It is still a blast.

Reliability the GT3 wins hands down. You start it, get a puff of smoke and off you go. The sound is intoxicating. The 930 starts every time, smokes a LOT more, and can be finicky until it is warm. If all goes well you get to your destination and back. While I have never been stranded, I have needed to change relays or diagnose an issue on the side of the road. Something I have not had to do with a GT3. I can fully understand how this alone could send someone from the 930 to the GT3.

Get both if you can afford it.

Last edited by RobT 394; 10-03-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2015, 12:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

sweet 930! Love the seats.

I would like to have a 930, but my GT3 will never be sold for one.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:35 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

I would like to have a 930, but my GT3 will never be sold for one.
True-dat. Such a hard choice. Both special cars but in a different way.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 PM
CDILL
Racer

Thanks to all for the coments. Rob T as I get closer to making the decision I will defienlty be in touch would love to have more of the owners perspective in regard to both cars. I do have a couple small issues on the 930 that I need to address in the next couple of weeks before I feel comfortable selling it to someone else or should I decide to keep it that won't drive me nuts.

I think it is an interesting statement about the gears especially in comparison to a 930 with a 4 speed. I had always felt as though the 930 was under powered as it never seems to touch boost with that silly gear box.

I would love to own both cars, but not sure my wife is willing to give up her garage spot so I can have two cars that get minimal use. And even thought it is the American way I'm not so sure I want to over extend myself to have both cars and buy a bigger house.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Both would be nice, but, the GT3 is a FAR superior car. Also IMO, the GT3 has similar investment value especially with the demise of the NA engines, both will retain or gain value well into the future
Old 10-05-2015, 12:24 PM
/five
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi,
I came to the GT3 (997.1) from a 1980 930 RoW. The 930 was my first Porsche so I had no benchmark for comparison.
The 930 for me symbolized the marque--childhood bedroom posters and all--and was a great jumping off point. I found it to be a rocketship around town, visceral, engaging, etc. I smelled like gas when I came back from a drive. After only about a 10 month fling though, some of its quirks began to irk: my pregnant wife really wouldn't come along for rides b/c of the fumes and lack of airbags, the novelty of huge turbo lag was wearing thin and I further scared myself on a highly crowned rural decreasing radius turn with lift off oversteer. Finally, though no fault of the 930, I had simultaneously acquired an '85 Vanagon Westfalia. Between these two old relics, having no time and being OCD, I began to feel overwhelmed. Aside from my DD, I wanted one of my fun vehicles to be totally pristine and sorted with nothing to do but wax. After more reading and talking to owners of other P-cars, the GT3 kept coming out at the top of the pile. It was still raw, visceral, pretty unique and had modern improvements like airbags. After 4 or 5 months of looking, I found a great example and bought it. The 930 shared garage space for a few months, but with such a short driving season in Wyoming, it made no sense to have 2 cars and I sold the 930. I really haven't missed it and am still in love with the GT3, which remains the better car for me.
(I see that you're in Denver. I'm just a few hours north in Casper, and I'd be happy to let you take the GT3 out if you want to come up although getting close to mothballing it again for winter).
Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 PM
CDILL
Racer

^^^ Not sure I can make it to Casper in a timely manner, but I do thank you for the offer.

The 930 is my 4th Porsche and has always been the car I dreamed of owning one day. Mine is well sorted and at this point requires basic oil changes, tires, and a good detail every once in awhile. The reality is I am not always excited about smelling of exhaust after driving, at times it is a bit louder than I would like (did I just say that out loud??), functional A/C does seem nice, and I'm bored.

I had been looking towards the 997 Turbo as I also have two small children and thought it may be worth while to put a couple car seats in the back and we could use it to go on short weekend drives. After driving a few I feel that even though it is wicked fast it leaves me wanting a more intimate driving experience like the air cooled cars provide. I have talked to some of the local PCA guys that have GT3's and as described it seems to be the most raw type driving experience that can be offered and seems to have been confirmed here as well.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Had a 930 long time ago. Sold for $48k few years ago. Would have been well over $100k now. Still kicking myself for it. I'd prefer the gt3 over 930 now. Just can't seem to decide/afford. I might pull the trigger on a gt3 soon.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The GT3 will ruin you. It did me in. I have had 3, all 996's and frankly, I will never be without one again. I sold my 73 E RS spec car, which was amazing. I had her for 13 years and I admit that I sometimes miss her.....but honestly, the GT3 simply does everything better. Easily the best P car I've ever owned, and I've owned over 30 different models over the years. I did just pick up an 05 Twin Turbo S that I'm enjoying tremendously, but it's purpose is different. Turbo power is intoxicating, but frankly, nothing beats NA for responsiveness and agility in GT3 form. Good luck w your decision.

Quick Reply: GT3 VS 930 (Thinking trade???)