Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.2 GT3 or GT3 RS. Worth the difference in price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:37 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the difference is mainly on paper and academic unless u are some hot shoe

at msrp I suppose RS is worth a few bucks more
at today's delta, u have to be pretty dumb to
buy RS

that said RS is RS
and I really like RS, my most favored alphabets in the language. after paying for the RS, i promptly deleted the RS logo and decal in all my RS

I did say only the dumb ones buy RS. I just illustrated my point.

while this sounds ridiculous and insane, feel
free to read all the journalist reviews and put 50000 miles on the two chassis, u will
find your conclusion to be very similar.

is the wife's D IF princess 3 ct rock really worth the delta over a fake. let the debate begin and bring out the soda and popcorn
haha John you crack me up. Speaking of rocks... now that I just bought the GT3 my girlfriend and soon to be finance she said hmmmm you spent how much on that car of yours that I can't drive!?!? I best be getting a nice diamond since I'm taking public transportation to work each day!

I'm browsing for a 1.75C diamond which is a good size, It will look huge on her little fingers... or that's what I tell myself.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:02 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Saru385
When I started looking for a 997.2 GT3, i was hoping to get RS and the price delta was something like 30-40k. even at that i had a hard time justifying it since it was going to be a street car for me. then as price delta moved up and up, it priced me out of RS anyway, so decision became much easier.

i've not driven a RS, but when i chatted with SSTHO at Laguna Seca and got his impression (as he stated above) it did make me feel better about only having a lowly GT3.
You got a beauty! Enjoy what you have.

Only on these forums can you feel having a non-RS GT3 is not enough.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:21 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the choice when ordering my GT3... For me, it came down to this: proper sports buckets, get the RS... Any of the comfort seats, get the normal GT3. I spend a minority of time on the track and go on long road trips... Normal seats were the call, and I just couldn't do THAT to an RS. I was also concerned around availability of Porsche n-rated front tires for my foul weather needs, Normal GT3 size has quite a bit of choice.

I have no doubt the RS has a few ticks advantage around the track... But something is always a few ticks better... The RS guys in Europe would have you know that stateside cars aren't as good: no lightweight plexi back windows. The 4.0 guys will have you know a 3.8 can't compete.

I've driven both on the road, the RS is a bit... 'Sharper' would be the best word. Shorter gearing you notice, power not so much. A bit louder and more mechanical sounds. Clearly a more rambunctious brother of an already loud kid. On the track, you WILL have a blast in either car - if the few ticks concerns you, get a real track car.

Current market shows RS is priced well beyond any conceptual difference, this is a collectors market... So, how many miles will you put on it? That seems like the most worthwhile question right now, to me at least.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

great post Globed - agree 100%!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

The RS was $20k better and the 4.0 was 70k better.
I agreed with Porsche than and now.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

At the current price delta I would get a GT3 and send it to Sharkwerks for a 4.1 conversion (assuming they offer it on non RS cars)
Old 07-12-2015, 11:26 AM
stltim1979
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
At the current price delta I would get a GT3 and send it to Sharkwerks for a 4.1 conversion (assuming they offer it on non RS cars)
I believe its 3.9 on everything other than .2 RS, which is the 4.1. But I like the idea
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
haha John you crack me up. Speaking of rocks... now that I just bought the GT3 my girlfriend and soon to be finance she said hmmmm you spent how much on that car of yours that I can't drive!?!? I best be getting a nice diamond since I'm taking public transportation to work each day!

I'm browsing for a 1.75C diamond which is a good size, It will look huge on her little fingers... or that's what I tell myself.
that's very big.
the biggest i bought was 1.05 and that was not for the wife or the fiance.....
Old 07-13-2015, 08:15 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was the second marriage for both of us, 38 years ago, and it was a decade before I was able to afford to get Lynne a diamond. Family and profession came first for us. Both of us came from somewhat humble origins, she a farm girl from Nebraska, me, son of a Naval Aviator, who started mowing yards in the mid '50's for fifty cents each. I often, now, look back in amazement at how the stars must have aligned just right for me, with my family and now what we are so privileged to have. I do think that people make some of their own luck.

Beginning to gather the things Chris and I need to run the Sandhills Challenge, I am watching the video's to see how the turns are marked or are unmarked, as he will drive and I "navigate." Or perhaps, just hold on with my eyes closed. At one end, there is a lot of sand on the road, so we have to be very careful there. Surgery went well, after two months, came home last night.

All the best.....
Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

that's very big.
the biggest i bought was 1.05 and that was not for the wife or the fiance.....
Exactly.
Not recommending a harem like Mooty, but this is the time to test her.
Tell her all the money went into GT3, she wants you to be happy right?
Do the ring for the 10th anniversary. Hell I even did the wedding for our 10th anniversary.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
If you got the cash, get the RS.
If you got the cash, get them all...
Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ good call
I want ur 4.0
ping when sell
Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

^ good call
I want ur 4.0
ping when sell
I'll take your sloppy seconds ;-)
Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

my has a lot of mileage, likely cost more than Polar's. his is dry rotting, Being a kind enthusiast, I want to help him out.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm hunting a 996 RS in Europe at the moment.... Will keep it there until 2017 and then ship over to continue the line-up 😁😁

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 or GT3 RS. Worth the difference in price?