Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT 3 / RS wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:21 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default GT 3 / RS wing

Has anyone upgraded their 2010-2011 GT3 rear wing to the rS wing? Not trying to pose my GT3 as an RS, I just like the look of the RS wing better. I believe you also have to change out the deck lid, and I can't remember if the air box inlet is the same.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:25 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

It's a big upgrade in downforce, there is good reason to want one. I believe you need a new deck lid, uprights, wing, and potentially a RS airbox....though I suppose you can mod the deck lid to block on intake scoop to work with the single entry GT3 airbox. There is a Cup-like version for sale here somewhere, complete with deck lid.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:22 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

You will need a new air box. Both .1 and .2 GT3's have single air inlet while the .2 RS has dual inlet (.1 RS has the same air box as .1 GT3).

If you decide to go this route I suggest that you upgrade the RS airbox to Autowerx (I think that's how it's spelled) one. That is very similar to the 4.0 intake providing much better air flow. Sharkwerks also sells the same air box, but with their badge. The thing is though if you source it through Europe from the original manufacturer it is cheaper.

I'll try to find the link to it.

Been thinking about the same thing for a long time but the price tag for the conversion is too high and I have more important upgrades still waiting
Old 02-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
You will need a new air box. Both .1 and .2 GT3's have single air inlet while the .2 RS has dual inlet (.1 RS has the same air box as .1 GT3).

If you decide to go this route I suggest that you upgrade the RS airbox to Autowerx (I think that's how it's spelled) one. That is very similar to the 4.0 intake providing much better air flow. Sharkwerks also sells the same air box, but with their badge. The thing is though if you source it through Europe from the original manufacturer it is cheaper.

I'll try to find the link to it.

Been thinking about the same thing for a long time but the price tag for the conversion is too high and I have more important upgrades still waiting
Hi Sin, did you end up finding the link to the airbox you were talking about? I'm thinking about doing this to my car for the added downforce an slowly trying to work out where I can source the relevant parts from.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:38 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Similar situation here, I've never cared for the looks of the .1 GT3 spoiler and would like upgrade to a factory .1 RS lid & wing but I just cannot justify the insane nearly (or more than) five-figure cost. I do not want a fiberglass aftermarket (MA Shaw, etc.) setup so it looks like I'm stuck with the original funky one.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:53 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When we bought our '07GT3 15 mos ago, it came with a really nice Getty wing. Here is the post where the prior owner had it done. It is finished on the underside as nicely on the upper, fits perfectly, the air accordian for the air inlet and the fan and the center mounted light all work. Many thousands cheaper than a "real" Cup wing, and I am very happy with it.

All the best...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...y-cup-esq.html

Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Another cheaper cost option is get a .2 PMNA cup deck lid. You can pick up a racers spare for significantly less than the oem rs part. My car is a .1 but I swapped to all PMNA .2 GT3 Cup body work. You can get a cup airbox as well, same thing as the RS airbox but cheaper because its a cup part.

Here is my airbox, which I may be open to selling, along with my PMNA .2 gt3 cup deck lid, if the new setup that is being developed comes through.

And here is the wing setup I went with:
2012 PMNA GT3 Cup deck lid
2010 OEM RS rear wing
2012 PMNA GT3 Cup Wing Uprights
2012 PMNA GT3 Cup Wing Endplates
Orbit Racing Carbon Fiber Gurney Flap

Old 02-07-2016, 02:29 PM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Another cheaper cost option is get a .2 PMNA cup deck lid. You can pick up a racers spare for significantly less than the oem rs part. My car is a .1 but I swapped to all PMNA .2 GT3 Cup body work. You can get a cup airbox as well, same thing as the RS airbox but cheaper because its a cup part.

Here is my airbox, which I may be open to selling, along with my PMNA .2 gt3 cup deck lid, if the new setup that is being developed comes through.

And here is the wing setup I went with:
2012 PMNA GT3 Cup deck lid
2010 OEM RS rear wing
2012 PMNA GT3 Cup Wing Uprights
2012 PMNA GT3 Cup Wing Endplates
Orbit Racing Carbon Fiber Gurney Flap

I saw this setup at Monterey last year, very nice!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Great looking setups, I need to double check the local club regluations, I think the body parts in my class need to be off the street car...
Old 02-07-2016, 10:40 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

A vote here for the Getty set-up. I have it on my 6-3 and it truly is an excellent piece of work. See my avatar
Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cup air box
Getty deck lid
Cup uprights and wing
Old 02-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

The stock 997.2 GT3 wing obscures some rear view out the interiior mirror
Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cup risers sort this...
Old 02-10-2016, 08:51 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my GT3 with the Getty wing, which is mid height, it does indeed obscure rearward vision in about the middle of of the rear hatch. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, as even though it keeps a driver from seeing if the following car may be law enforcement, it also keeps the headlights from cars and SUV's and such from blasting the driver's vision from reflections from the rear view mirror. If it is really necessary to see what is coming up, I just lean a bit and look aft with the side mount mirrors. My Getty seems very sturdy and secure, the wing is rock steady, no wobble and fragility at all. Fit is perfect. The shop that finished and installed it made the white paint match perfectly, with no paint or finish blemishes, inside or out. When the rear hatch is fully opened, it does not quite touch the rear window, either. The wing itself has a range of adjustments, if a driver were to have the knowledge and experience to determine what angle would best suit their handling preferences.

I know that some forum members don't appreciate higher "fake" wings, but I personally think the OEM rear wing looks rather wimpy, and does not express the nature of these machines. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Besides, to most people a GT3 with a stock wing looks like any other Porsche. I want people to think "what the hell is that" when I roar by them, the Sharkwerk's "Cup" exhaust spilling their Starbucks!

What a seismic event the present presidential race has become!

All the best....

NV
Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NV - always good with the words man...

I too have the getty cup setup for my 7.1 and I like it for reasons that NV has posted above.

to the OP, they also make a rep of the 7.2RS setup so you could purchase the getty setup and install on your car vs. going OEM which is much more pricey.

Cup wings aren't for everyone, they are very purposeful but don't look as elegant as the dual foil RS wings. with that said the 7.2 cup uprights look nicer than the 7.1 cup uprights which look similar to the 996 setup.

Quick Reply: GT 3 / RS wing