Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:17 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Does it have to be some sort of original GT car? For instance, last fall i sold our pristine '07S Carrera, with BBS wheels, chrono and every option less nav. 35K, for $52K. You can get them now for mid $40's, put some Tubi mufflers on it, good tires, and have 90% of a GT car for less money. Or a recent Boxster for about the same. Any sort of GT is going to cost substantially more. But like for just about everyone, ultimately it will be your choice and your money.

wish you well in your search.

All the best...
That's about what I was thinking. Thanks!
Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I'll also throw my hat in the ring for a 993. I've had mine for 11 years and love it more each day. It has the rawness of my RS but in a package that's honestly much more fun on the street. As mentioned above it also seems to be an appreciating asset. If it wasn't great I would have sold it and bought my RS a few years earlier.
I need to drive a 993..never have had the pleasure. Thanks!
Originally Posted by mooty
i wouldn't
bc you will sell it quickly
lose more money
and come back to ask this identical question
Hmm. Good point.
Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Another vote for the 987.2 Cayman S. A lot of fun on the track and lower cost of consumables when it comes to tracking.
I bet they'll drop in price as soon as GT4's hit stateside...be a really good value.
Originally Posted by brake dust
993 or 964. Has the GT ethos before the GT variant of the water cooled engines
Man, very popular car. No wonder they are appreciating.
Originally Posted by coryf
996 turbo. They are starting to turn the corner and creep up in value. Huge fun on the street with the torque. IMO it the best car for the dollar you can buy right now. You can find very nice ones in the 40's. A reflash and exhaust on a x50 car will give around 500hp at the wheels. Makes a cayman S or anything short of a 3.8/4.0 rs feel slow. I bought one a few months ago.
Cool! Congrats bro. Gonna track it?
Originally Posted by etchhead
+1 996TT is still a bargain for the performance and reliability. Wish I had mine still (in addition to the GT)- the good news is there are still loads of them out there.
True. And I'm seeing a lot of X50 examples out there. Thanks!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Compared to a GT car everything else is a joke. So many times I drive my 993 (well set up - PSS10 and M030+RS suspension bits) back to back with my GT3. There is no comparison. None.

And 964, please. It is a worse car than a 993 any way you slice it. I owned 2 of those before I got into a 993. The rear suspension is archaic and it shows, it has noticeably less power, especially if compared to a 993 w Varioram, and the brakes are weak. The 5-speed G50 is the only bright spot in a 964.

Also, any 964 or 993 you buy you'd have to set aside at least a good $10K to make it feel right. Double that if you decide to track it. Those are 20+ year old cars by now, lots of things need replacement. Even if the seller tells you "it needs nothing."

Regarding a turbo, my old 997TT can't hold a candle to a GT3. It's quite heavy and the suspension is bad in that car. A TPC DSC box is a must. And a 996TT will be only worse and you'll have to stare at that awful interior the whole time you're in the car.

If I had to buy a car now with $60K I'd go with a Boxster Spyder or a Cayman R. Depreciation will be lower until you get the scratch for a real GT.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is either boxter spyder or, blasphemy, stingray.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ilko
Compared to a GT car everything else is a joke. So many times I drive my 993 (well set up - PSS10 and M030+RS suspension bits) back to back with my GT3. There is no comparison. None.

And 964, please. It is a worse car than a 993 any way you slice it. I owned 2 of those before I got into a 993. The rear suspension is archaic and it shows, it has noticeably less power, especially if compared to a 993 w Varioram, and the brakes are weak. The 5-speed G50 is the only bright spot in a 964.

Also, any 964 or 993 you buy you'd have to set aside at least a good $10K to make it feel right. Double that if you decide to track it. Those are 20+ year old cars by now, lots of things need replacement. Even if the seller tells you "it needs nothing."

Regarding a turbo, my old 997TT can't hold a candle to a GT3. It's quite heavy and the suspension is bad in that car. A TPC DSC box is a must. And a 996TT will be only worse and you'll have to stare at that awful interior the whole time you're in the car.

If I had to buy a car now with $60K I'd go with a Boxster Spyder or a Cayman R. Depreciation will be lower until you get the scratch for a real GT.

Dang, tell us how you really feel. No, seriously good info. Last thing I want to do is put money into anything to get a decent driving experience. Newer cars are attractive also because of warranty. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by m5trol
My vote is either boxter spyder or, blasphemy, stingray.
Stingray...vette? Actually, my wife likes those. They are so many of them now though... Your avatar will do just fine! Dream car in the right color!
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Surprising post. I've had two 964s as well and the thing I like MOST about my 997.2 GT3 is how much it reminds me of the mechanical nature of the 964.

That said I agree with Boxster Spyder but I'd also suggest a nice 997 C2. Get it cheap, do the suspension, alignment, exhaust and get a short shifter and you'll have a nice driving sports car for Camry money.

Originally Posted by ilko

Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you may be looking for water-cooled P cars, but any thoughts on the E92 M3? Its a great car for the money!
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Here...steal this Spyder for under $60K. Perfect spec with manual and sport buckets:

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...9950/overview/
Old 04-20-2015, 02:36 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kchu221
I know you may be looking for water-cooled P cars, but any thoughts on the E92 M3? Its a great car for the money!
I like Bimmers...but not the same as a Porsche. I've had Bimmers as daily drivers..great cars. Want something a little more special.
Originally Posted by LastMezger
Here...steal this Spyder for under $60K. Perfect spec with manual and sport buckets:

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...9950/overview/
Great deal! Need a black one though.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:18 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

just get a well kept well optioned 996 turbo optioned out, drive it and sell it for what you paid. Best bang for buck.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:46 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I like Bimmers...but not the same as a Porsche. I've had Bimmers as daily drivers..great cars. Want something a little more special.

Great deal! Need a black one though.
BLACK: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...6650/overview/
Old 04-20-2015, 06:29 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Dang..that's pretty sharp. One in Atlanta also. Is there room for 6'2"?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:02 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I may be biased but a Cayman S with mods can be a great track weapon. I picked mine up for $39k and have about $20k in mods (including full suspension, brakes, 2nd set of wheels, and performance mods) and I keep up with 90%+ of cars at the DE events and that's only on NT01s. Wait till I bust out the R7 cheater tires...I'm going to give Mooty a run for his money at my home track.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I may be biased but a Cayman S with mods can be a great track weapon. I picked mine up for $39k and have about $20k in mods (including full suspension, brakes, 2nd set of wheels, and performance mods) and I keep up with 90%+ of cars at the DE events and that's only on NT01s. Wait till I bust out the R7 cheater tires...I'm going to give Mooty a run for his money at my home track.
Especially the red steering wheel mod!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:09 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Especially the red steering wheel mod!
That's good for at least 1 second. Flappy paddles FTW!

Quick Reply: Is it hopeless for me?