Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric shifter bearing failure - FYI

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
If you do a search you will find threads of the numeric shift rods having failed, their cable ends breaking, and now bearing failures.
Great, so something else to look forward to having also installed the Numeric cables… https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l#post11710165
Old 04-04-2015, 08:33 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

So where can I buy the 996 cup shifter?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

again speak to Dan, find out if you have the later cables.

everything suffers failers... google search and you will find good and bad- from Apple to Zondas. Be careful with information online as you would never buy anything.

Dan stands behind Numeric and its products.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

First, let me start with the facts about this customers issues. Dervish contacted us via email to let us know that bearings on his shifter had failed. Let me make this clear, This is NOT a prone issue and there is NOT a design flaw.

With any product that you find in the world, for example, one in every one or two hundred pieces, you may find a flaw. There is no such thing as perfect in any form, human or manufactured.

If there is a failure with any of our products, we stand behind 100% with a warranty. Which happened in this instance. Again, failure of the bearings on the shifter is NOT prone to occurring.

Being that Dervish had an important event taking place in the near future. We did all that we may to expedite his International Claim. We notified him that we will ship the replacement parts via USPS International Express. If he had any qualms about the way we shipped, he was more than welcome to provide his own shipping method at his cost.

I don't know of many companies who would have Expressed shipped a "$2" part to accommodate a customer.

We went above and beyond to help this customer short of flying cross country and hand delivering the part. When it comes to shipping, once it is out the door. It is within the shipping company and customs procedures on how and when the shipment will be delivered. We apologize that he didn't get his part on time.

Unfortunately with any company, news of a negative service experience reaches more than twice as many ears as praise for a good service experience.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at sales@numericracing.com or call us at 727-372-0300 M-F from 10am-6pm.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 205 Posts

USPS to go international? Ya, that's really smart! Way to go "above and beyond."
Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
So where can I buy the 996 cup shifter?
Any shop with a PMNA account believe it's part # 996.424.010.9A Check with them as you may need a couple of the small bits to connect to your cables depending which you have.
Cup shifter is all metal bushings. the 997.2 GT3RS is similar, but cup has more metal and tighter feel.
Numeric has bearings and is adjustable. Cup isn't.
Had cup for a year, like feel.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/..._Assembly.html
Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely see porsche admit and warranty their design flaw such as coolant pipe there is a reason we buy this product because we all have OEM shifting issue in known conditions.
I am fine with vendor who stand behind their products and providing an upgrade solution instead of keep sending out the replacement parts.
For shipping, I think the suggestion is fair. Check out the international freight next day rate, not cheap. Warranty covering international, great.
Which German vendor did this for US customer?
Just sharing my experience with porsche so far, can be worst
Old 04-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Thork'sGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott40

I have had the Cup Shifter and Cables for a little over a year as well. The throws are a bit longer, which personally I like. There are a few good threads here on how to do the install.
I personally would not buy anything else. Very happy with the set up.

Brent
Old 04-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
This is NOT a prone issue and there is NOT a design flaw.
If not a design flaw then why the redesign?

If there is a failure with any of our products, we stand behind 100% with a warranty. Which happened in this instance. Again, failure of the bearings on the shifter is NOT prone to occurring.
Dan, I have no issue with your methods and speed of response. The reason for the post is that there are evidently a lot of your shifters still in use with the 2 bearing design. I feel it is in the spirit of Rennlist to give advance warning to others of design updates which may, or may not, affect them.

Many of these owners will have purchased from 3rd party vendors and as such will not have invoice details held by Numeric, who could, in theory, have contacted them about updates.

I don't know of many companies who would have Expressed shipped a "$2" part to accommodate a customer.
By the way, Faith@Numeric quoted a price on shipping that was almost double what the actually cost on packaging was, just to make a point to me, maybe you should update her also.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

This is Faith at Numeric responding.. Not Dan.

Never was the shipment quoted to you since it didn't come out of your pocket but yes, it did cost $70 to ship the part to you. We did go above and beyond to make you happy to only have you try to bad-mouth and make false respresentations about our shifter.

You are trying to put out a false bulletin.

If, we determine that a product manufactured by us is faulty, we would notify our customers and dealers. There is no difference between the quality of shifters whether it is 2 or 4 bearing.

Dervish is making this seem like this is an issue that is happening on a regular occasion but has only happened on a rare instance.

How many design changes do you get from manufacturers such as Sony and Apple, and even Samsung. Doesn't mean something is wrong with the product but the manufacturer looking to improve it, enhance, or repackage it.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Been reading and wondering whether to "stick my foot in it"?
Most here know my thoughts and feelings about an aftermarket shifter.
I have owned and driven the gamut.
After phase 1 of my build I got the 996 Cup shifter / cables. Frankly IMHO it was not better than the OEM shifter. The feel was really the same, felt let down.
Then I made a colossal mistake buying that total POS sequential shifter. Worst money ever spent on the car. Regret it to the day.
Then the heavens opened, I saw the light and I bought the best. The most hardcore ***** out shifter. The build quality is outstanding and it is the epitome of precision.
Members know what shifter I'm talking about. I say no more.

Ranger
Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Been reading and wondering whether to "stick my foot in it"?
Most here know my thoughts and feelings about an aftermarket shifter.
I have owned and driven the gamut.
After phase 1 of my build I got the 996 Cup shifter / cables. Frankly IMHO it was not better than the OEM shifter. The feel was really the same, felt let down.
Then I made a colossal mistake buying that total POS sequential shifter. Worst money ever spent on the car. Regret it to the day.
Then the heavens opened, I saw the light and I bought the best. The most hardcore ***** out shifter. The build quality is outstanding and it is the epitome of precision.
Members know what shifter I'm talking about. I say no more.

Ranger
Cae? Mike
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Cae? Mike
CAE.
Very nice unit.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:23 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyerx
CAE.
Very nice unit.
Affirmative.
My RS lives at Champion Motorsport between track events. No street use and never comes home.
In the summer of 2013 the CAE shifter was installed. Since then multiple customers that go through the shop and seen my RS and asked about the CAE shifter. Once they sat in the RS and go through the shift gates, to date 9 have been installed in other customers.
I apologize and do not wish to insult anyone BUT as I've stated many times over, all other aftermarket shifters are play toys compared to the CAE shifter.
Please, please compare the build design. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

Allow me to put it this way ... I have spent serious $$$$ on my RS build BUT the CAE shifter has been the best spent money.

Ranger
Old 04-04-2015, 10:27 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Just out of curiosity Spyerx have you driven the CAE shifter?
And I mean on the track?
If you haven't ... and when you do ... nothing else will satisfy your motorsport demands.

Ranger

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter bearing failure - FYI