Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric shifter bearing failure - FYI

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Just out of curiosity Spyerx have you driven the CAE shifter?
And I mean on the track?
If you haven't ... and when you do ... nothing else will satisfy your motorsport demands.

Ranger
Not on track. But I have checked out the action on they are nice, really nice. A couple guys have them here, in gt3, and m3 track cars and rave about them. I do street my car during the summer when it's too hot(for me) at the tracks here... and non-oem look and minor mods to the trim pieces has me settled on the cup shift box.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rangers a CAE man - Juan stands behind any product or shop that gave him the service he wants and needs- respect.

Me- if I had a CAE, I am sure I would love it two, but I have had a Numeric shifter and cables for years with no problem, great customer service AND price point topped with the results/performance I wanted i.e extremely please with my purchase... no regrets and exceeded expectations.

how many here had good customer service when their cam actuator bolts backed out?
Old 04-04-2015, 11:57 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Not on track. But I have checked out the action on they are nice, really nice. A couple guys have them here, in gt3, and m3 track cars and rave about them. I do street my car during the summer when it's too hot(for me) at the tracks here... and non-oem look and minor mods to the trim pieces has me settled on the cup shift box.
Spyerx, sorry but I do not know your name. An uncivilized animal like me doesn't focus on such as you've provided.
You have sounded knowledgeable on multiple threads BUT if you are not comforitable with the CAE set up then ... sorry but you do not belong.
Come on and go racing against the Brazilean competition here in So. Florida.
All you Cali guys would be destroyoid in only a matter of seconds.

So please, any Cali guy who believes you are "tough" (that includes MOOTY) please bring your stuff to Homestead and run the local competititon!!!!!!!

Ranger ... out!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^ I kinda respond like that when I'm drunk : ). Anyway CAE is a thing of beauty in my eyes. Top it off it does as promised. I don't think it's no.1 in my book for best money spent- I think Guard LSD has that in spades. Mike
Old 04-05-2015, 03:50 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Does the cup shifter shift nice and tight and less clickety clack? I find the stock one feels like garbage to me. I used to have an s2000 a long time ago and still in pursuit of that shifter's feel.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:54 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
This is Faith at Numeric responding.. Not Dan.

Never was the shipment quoted to you since it didn't come out of your pocket but yes, it did cost $70 to ship the part to you.
The actual price of shipping is stamped on the envelope and it's far less than $70.

No more to say on this.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Spyerx, sorry but I do not know your name. An uncivilized animal like me doesn't focus on such as you've provided.
You have sounded knowledgeable on multiple threads BUT if you are not comforitable with the CAE set up then ... sorry but you do not belong.
Come on and go racing against the Brazilean competition here in So. Florida.
All you Cali guys would be destroyoid in only a matter of seconds.

So please, any Cali guy who believes you are "tough" (that includes MOOTY) please bring your stuff to Homestead and run the local competititon!!!!!!!

Ranger ... out!!!!!!!!!
i am a bit of a puss on some things. Maybe too vain I want my matching shift **** lol. Reality is I see it one guys car and keepmtellingmysel I need that.

One day we will make it out there and have the **** scared out of us at Sebring with that insane surface and crazy walls.
But you're more than welcome here too. we just have desert dirt and grass. Well except at Sears pt.

Good crew out here. And a some are very fast.

Oh damage, I can't comment on track feel of cae but I too had an s2000. That is the best shifter on the planet ever. So no cup shifter is not like that it's still kinda notchy but more direct. I'd venture to say neither is cae.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ap1 had grinding issue in 2nd and 3rd gear if shifting too fast. Most of the ppl has this issue, but not all. The ap2 is a better tranny and Honda upgraded the synchro material. Part of the engineering process.
It has one of the best shifter I have driven, but hard to compare with our cable shifter. One thing I noticed is I can down shift 3 gears in a sec with most of the jdm cars. But in our car, I can't with OEM setup. Driving a Porsche at track requires lot more effort and attention than jdm. Engineering differently.
Anyway, the best cable shifter I had was 2000 Toyota celica. Short and solid & clear. Never had miss shifted nor grinding.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:28 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early adopter cae here (2+ years ago through Adam at hard Motorsport)
Love it
Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Hey P.J.S did you have the 'normal' 2nd to 3rd change issues under high load/rev's and did the CAE shifter cure or help?

Jay
Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I did but added wevo engine mounts and some firmer trans mounts seemed to have made that much better

Then added the cae later

Cae pros
- shift **** closer to steering wheel without lengthening throw
- precision shifting
- at track pace it's as close to perfect as an h pattern shifter as I have found (cup, cms, various ssk all tried - can't say anything about the numeric shifter - never tried it - although I consider its build specs superior to the cms shifter.)

Cae is not for everyone but if you are mostly track - I highly recommend it
I don't think they are difficult to resell if it's not to your liking

Cae con
-not necessarily a casual street driven shifter... It does not take any particular extra amount of concentration BUT it is rewarding when you are focused and shifting with purpose... Not loafing around in traffic...
Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

installed pic please!

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
Cae is not for everyone but if you are mostly track - I highly recommend it
I don't think they are difficult to resell if it's not to your liking
Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Old 04-06-2015, 02:17 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I should add there is a fancy carbon fiber trim piece you can buy to clean up the look at the base of the shifter but I haven't as the look does not bother me as is
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Thanks P.J.S, I run uprated mounts as well, sounds like no one has a cure for the bulky shift 2nd-3rd other than slow and deliberate?

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter bearing failure - FYI