Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric shifter bearing failure - FYI

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, shifter feel. You should have driven my early TR's and MG's, the latter didn't even have a first gear synchro. I once took my TR4 to a small garage for something or another, Road & Track, in Lincoln NE, and the former limping race driver who owned the place drove my car, and asked me how I ever managed to shift the thing. He drizzled some oil down onto the sliding shift bars, and it made a world of difference. How was I to know? Then my Superformance had first a Tremec 3550, then a close ratio TKO box, and moving the reverse angle gearshift lever left the driver feeling that he was moving the shaft reduction gears on the Titanic.

I have a friend with an early T 911, and while he had the engine re-done, the high mileage transaxle has never been touched. When you move that spindly gear lever, first is sort of towards the left front fender, second can eventually be found mostly by pulling it rearward, third and forth, likely lie somewhere to the right side of the car. I can't drive it; it has no "gate." Instead of a shifter like a hot knife thru butter, it is more like stirring jello with a straw.

Our three Porsches have all had short shifters, and were very different from one another.

The same limping driver/mechanic taught me how to shift my first sports car, which is to momentarily pause in the H, just a tiny fraction of a second, almost imperceptible to anyone one observing, he called it the "snick-snick" method, and I have used it in every manual gearbox car ever since. Somehow that momentary pause seems to give the syncho's a moment to do their thing, making even balky gearboxes so much smoother.

Well anyway, for a half century "snick snick" has worked for me.

All the best....
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With cae and mounts it happens very little and it's usually user error (rushing)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Where's a good place to order the CAE?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:49 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got mine from hardmotorsport.com
Contact was Adam
Old 04-07-2015, 04:14 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
Where's a good place to order the CAE?
Contact Adam or get it from GSR Autosport if you need it installed as well. Josh did some nice trimming when installing this in a friends car. He's done a few and does it well.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:08 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Not sure if 997 GT3 shift feel is anything like 6 GT3 but I will assume it is so. Coming out of a lotus exige I was terribly disappointed with the shift feel in my GT3, I have cup cables but the shift feels (and sounds) plasticy, hollow and very disconnected. Is that CME shifter compatible with 6 cars?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:44 PM
ms4cd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the 996 shifter and cables from Adam, should work great with Bill Raider transmission. Will report back once it's in.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:08 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was doing a bit of a service and clean up. As I had the centre console out it was a good chance to inspect and lubricate my Numeric shifter. All looks like new even under my inspection magnifying glass. Also checked out my Numeric cables including bushings etc, again all like new.

Again I have nothing but good things to say about Numeric, their customer service and products.

Awesome shifter and cables and believe they hold their own over the competition.

Hope they will bring out more products of this quality and function.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:01 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have installed and used a few numeric shifters and cable sets. Been happy with all of them. Just received a CAE set up today to install so it will be interesting to see them side by side/back to back.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2015, 01:03 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is my sad Numeric story........

I drive a 987.2 Cayman R with 3.8. Numeric (early, single bearing) shifter and cables. I bought from them direct. I am happy with the set up.

Last weekend I am enjoying a track day at Laguna Seca when I feel a "pop" in the shifter, and then a lot of slop. I gently finish the day and get the car home.

Sunday night I pop my shifter boot and quickly see what the problem is. Same as the OP, my left bearing has disintegrated. I do an internet search and find this thread.

Monday I call Numeric, inform them of the failure, and request the 4 new bearings and pin. I also request 2 day overnight shipping, as I have another event the upcoming Saturday. I give them my CC number to cover the expedited shipping fee. Numeric says OK, no problem.

Wednesday, I check my CC account and see NO charge from Numeric. I call Numeric and am told this: "we thought we could save you some money as USPS Priority Mail should get to you by Friday, but I can't find any record that the package actually shipped". I then tell them to ship overnight express. Numeric responds "I can still get it out today UPS overnight 2 day, will get to you Friday".

Friday morning I check with UPS. Package is at UPS terminal 18 miles from my house. YEE HAW. Friday afternoon I check with UPS, and see a yellow alert on the web page. Seems they have F'cked up an misrouted the package and it is now 180 miles away.

I call UPS and eventually get through to a manager. After many words, they essentially tell me tough ****. Their 2 business day guarantee is like the "Pirates Code", more of a guideline than a code. And the package will stay there until the following Monday. They really don't care about your inconvenience or their commitments.

I wish Numeric had sent me a letter informing me of the potential failure. If you have redesigned it, you can't argue its not a weak point that should be addressed. Any other redesigns that you want to disclose Numeric?

I wish Numeric had honored my original shipping request, instead of second guessing and then totally failing to ship.

I wish UPS had a semblance of competency. You wouldn't believe the conversations I had with these people. They are utterly clueless and really don't care. If you really need something to be there, they are a very bad choice.

Last edited by ReadyKW; 06-21-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2015, 01:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

good to see u at LS!

UPS
FEDEX
are both bad, actually ALL shipping company are bad.
a client of ours who ships in millions $ was pissed and had dinner with brown's ceo. short of that, it's hard to get them to care.

with regard to shifter. the 7.2 shifter is BETTER.
just b/c a unit is short and has a lot of metal parts in it. it is not better.
i've got every shifter made for 996 986 997 987 and more than a few of each. 997.2GT3 shifter is just better.

i'll over night one to you, but i am out of the country at the moment ;-(
Old 06-21-2015, 03:07 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mooty! Good to see you too! My first time there. Great track, and I passed sound. Used the sound booth as a 3-4 shift point early in the day. Later, didn't care and I still passed! Instructor I was with thought I would fail for sure.

Maybe I should give the GT3 shifter a try.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:45 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Had a Numeric failure this last PCA track weekend at TWS. I was hoping it was the shaft, because I bought an extra one of those to be preemptive (they made me buy one vs. giving it to me to replace a known defective part). Got the console out at the track and nursed it back together. One of the numeric cable-ends broke off. Now that the console is out, I'm going back to stock. I am not sure how something as simple as a shifter can be so fragile. After having this in the car for over a year, I can't really say that there is any benefit, especially when you are holding your breath all the time waiting for it to fail in some obscure way. I guess I will send back to have all the "upgrades" performed before I try to sell it.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:04 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I don't get the love affair with the POS numeric stuff. Some people think if it'a aftermaket stuff then it's better. Hardly ever the case. Install a PMNA cup shifter / cables and forget about it....
Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^ well sheet, now you let the trick out the bag......
i will have to quadruple my holdings.

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter bearing failure - FYI