OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums



997 GT2/GT3 Forum

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #46
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
TB993tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
BOOM.

waiting for that email now with the pricing

thanks!!!
Really look forward to your reports on this, I would love it if provided that magic combo of limo ride when needed then whip into ultra controlled go kart when the sensors tell it it's needed..... I am way too sceptical to be a guinea pig
TB993tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #47
Tim Kay
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So Calif
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC Sport View Post
Thank you very much, hesperus! Glad you found this thread.

Tractive DDA shocks bring racing level performance to a street car only when the driver needs or wants this level of stiffness. For street, the supple and controlled ride is a result of maximizing shock stroke paired with more stable springs and superior electronic management that will soften the "nose" of road bumps and stabilize the vehicle against oscillations before it happens. The dynamic range between rstreet comfort and race track performance is made even more flexible to the individual user preference with the tunable software that we will release later this year. The standard mapping is already very well developed but you can personalize it for your exact usage, preference, and your local roads. A way to depict the dynamic range of Tractive DDA is to think of the PASM modes as "3" for Normal and "8" for Sport. The "3" and "8" are pretty much fixed values. With DSC and OEM PASM shocks you have a dynamic range varying between "1" to "10" based on the speed and other inputs for the driving situation. Tractive DDA's range is "-5 to 15". In addition to the much wider range there is no "bump rubber effect" and the reaction time to command is 17x faster than OEM PASM to shape damping curve to stabilize vehicle oscillation; soften nose of the compression then ramp up as load increases and tailor rebound to smoothen vehicle weight transfer, which results in reduction of shocking to tire contact patch, which results in more grip. Tractive DDA shocks maintain a guide clearance of 0.01mm, this means virtually zero front toe deflection as a result of shaft play on MacPherson Strut type suspension. As for durability, each design of Tractive DDA shock has to pass a life cycle test on a large drum dyno for the duration of 2.4 million cycles at 100 degrees Celsius. After the test the damping curve has to be within 15% of the original damping curve. The DDA valve has been tested with 18 million cycles by an OEM manufacture and approved by them for production. Even the details down to the ZnNi coating for the outer casing is tested to conform to ASTM B117 specification. This means no white rust within 120 hours and red rust within 700 hours of high pressure salt spray test.

Hope this information helps.
Wow, are DDA coil overs going to be offered for other 911 models ie remodeled 930?
Tim Kay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #48
DSC Sport
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB993tt View Post
Really look forward to your reports on this, I would love it if provided that magic combo of limo ride when needed then whip into ultra controlled go kart when the sensors tell it it's needed..... I am way too sceptical to be a guinea pig
We are installing Tractive DDA coilovers with Standalone DSC on a 987.2 Cayman S and 987.2 Spyder in our shop this week.

I rode in the Cayman S, it been tracked prepped(roll bar, seats, harness) and had single adjustable monotube coilovers with 400/500 springs. It was pretty bouncy on the public roads near the shop. I rode in the same car again today with Tractive DDA and same rate springs installed, it was indeed magical how smooth the car is now. Smoother than stock. Photos and videos to come.

Oh and the test driver said it put down power better because the new coilover didn't squat before go. Car has turbo kit installed too that previous broke the tire loose easily.
DSC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #49
DSC Sport
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kay View Post
Wow, are DDA coil overs going to be offered for other 911 models ie remodeled 930?
We plan on offering DDA for Standalone installation for earlier cars. We have already gotten 993 and 964 requests but we want to get the newer car plug&play models flowing smoothly first. The 911/930 will present a small challenge to obtain the front spindle mounts to weld onto the struts, but not impossible.
DSC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #50
Tim Kay
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So Calif
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC Sport View Post
We plan on offering DDA for Standalone installation for earlier cars. We have already gotten 993 and 964 requests but we want to get the newer car plug&play models flowing smoothly first. The 911/930 will present a small challenge to obtain the front spindle mounts to weld onto the struts, but not impossible.
Thanks.
Tim Kay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #51
DSC Sport
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 294
Default DSC/Tractive sets new qualifying lap record at the Glen!

The TPC Racing team is at the Glen this weekend for races 3, 4, and 5 of the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge. Mike Levitas in the #36 car is loving his DSC/DDA set up, and the results are fantastic!

Levitas set a new qualifying lap record today, finishing P1 in his class and P10 overall! Even his second fastest lap would have secured the same starting position, both overall and in class.

We're very happy with the practice and qualifying results and are looking forward to race 1. You can tune in today for a live stream of Race 1 at www.imsa.tv at 3PM ET!

Check out the qualifying results below:
DSC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #52
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Jake951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 1,767
Default

So, here's a question. I have the DSC on my '07 GT3 and I can only really tell the difference between the 3 different stiffness settings when I'm on the track. On the street, all 3 seem about the same, at least in terms of ability to cope with bumps, which is much better than the OEM PASM. On the track, I do sense the firmer settings by the amount of additional stiffness under cornering or braking.

Does this sound about right?
Jake951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #53
Larry Cable
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake951 View Post
So, here's a question. I have the DSC on my '07 GT3 and I can only really tell the difference between the 3 different stiffness settings when I'm on the track. On the street, all 3 seem about the same, at least in terms of ability to cope with bumps, which is much better than the OEM PASM. On the track, I do sense the firmer settings by the amount of additional stiffness under cornering or braking.

Does this sound about right?
yes and no, I can feel the difference between the modes on the street in my 7.2 GT3, but its all subjective measured by the seat-o-the-pants-o-meter(tm)
Larry Cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #54
Chris in Japan
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 32
Default

I have a question.

What is mode 3 for?

I use mode 1 for street which I find quite supple, and mode 2 for track which seems decently stiff. I remember reading that mode 3 used to be the stiffest setting, but is now a sort of middle ground.
Is this the case?

My DSC was purchased 2 months ago.


Thanks.
Chris in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #55
DSC Sport
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake951 View Post
So, here's a question. I have the DSC on my '07 GT3 and I can only really tell the difference between the 3 different stiffness settings when I'm on the track. On the street, all 3 seem about the same, at least in terms of ability to cope with bumps, which is much better than the OEM PASM. On the track, I do sense the firmer settings by the amount of additional stiffness under cornering or braking.

Does this sound about right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
yes and no, I can feel the difference between the modes on the street in my 7.2 GT3, but its all subjective measured by the seat-o-the-pants-o-meter(tm)
I think Larry Cable summed it up pretty well. If you're referring to ride quality and comfort over bumps then there is a certain level of subjectivity here. Furthermore, the modes are all rather vast ranges (rather than fixed values) and the damping value or perceived "stiffness" is going to be based on the input level. There's also a lot of overlap within these ranges.

It's most likely that when you're driving on the street you're not pushing the car hard enough to really feel that increase in damping level, whereas on the track you're pushing your car a lot harder.

We're looking to release a user-friendly version of the software where you can custom tune your modes by the 3rd quarter of 2015. Hopefully this helps!
DSC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #56
DSC Sport
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Japan View Post
I have a question.

What is mode 3 for?

I use mode 1 for street which I find quite supple, and mode 2 for track which seems decently stiff. I remember reading that mode 3 used to be the stiffest setting, but is now a sort of middle ground.
Is this the case?

My DSC was purchased 2 months ago.


Thanks.
Mode 3 is generally reserved for the track, particularly high speed, smooth tracks. It provides the "stiffest" damping range of the three modes. It also has a more aggressive response rate.

Mode 1 is intended for street use (particularly city streets and bumpy ones at that). Mode 2 is ideal for spirited driving, if you will - winding country roads, highway driving, etc.; however, it can also be great for bumpier tracks - Sebring would be a great example of where you might want to consider using Mode 2.
DSC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #57
hesperus
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB993tt View Post
Really look forward to your reports on this, I would love it if provided that magic combo of limo ride when needed then whip into ultra controlled go kart when the sensors tell it it's needed..... I am way too sceptical to be a guinea pig
will definitely post up when i finally pull the trigger-- hopefully within the next 60 days

however i'm under no illusion that i will get a "limo ride" from the DDA's. it's a GT3, and i don't believe the technology currently exists using a traditional spring and damper setup-- even an active one-- that will truly allow that, especially on an ageing platform like the 997.

i've driven 458's and MP4's, and those-- the Mclaren in particular-- have a degree of comfort which i can only dream about for my car. if the DDA's get even halfway there, i'd be happy.

am i overpaying given such a marginal improvement in comfort? i guess we'll find out soon enough. what makes the decision easier is that i was all prepared to go with a set of full adjustable Exe-TC's, and those are at least as pricey as the Tractive's. problem is, there's no one around here whom I trust to really set up a full adjustable suspension properly, so i could just end up making things worse!
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #58
DSC Sport
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 294
Default DSC/DDA dominates the Glen!

What a weekend!

After setting a new qualifying lap record in the #36 car, Mike Levitas went on to set a new race lap record in the first race of the weekend at Watkins Glen. Even from watching on the tv, you could visibly see how planted the #36 car was when driving over the curbing compared to the other cars in the field. We will link the broadcast when/if IMSA posts it online.

While other teams set up for a wet race 2, Levitas left the setup alone and allowed DSC/DDA to adjust to the wet conditions on its own. The results? Another P1 finish.

It was great to see the DSC/DDA setup working to its potential in both wet and dry conditions. With the Yokohama tires that are run in the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge series, we typically see a 1.8G threshold in dry conditions and a 60 bar dry brake threshold. In wet conditions these numbers are about 0.8-0.9G and 30-35 bar. The DSC/DDA did an excellent job of adjusting the damping rates to achieve these thresholds in both conditions with little manual setup or adjustments.

We really couldn't be more happy with the results from this weekend. And while Levitas is an excellent driver and we couldn't have done it without him, the DSC/DDA setup played a critical role in weekend's sweep!
DSC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #59
DSC Sport
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 294
Default

A "limo ride" would certainly be a stretch for any sports car, and this is not a claim we would like to make. However, the goal of the DSC/DDA combination is to provide a truly race-level shock that optimizes performance on the track, while maintaining the ride quality on the street as say a luxury/sports sedan. This would be a more accurate representation of its streetability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
will definitely post up when i finally pull the trigger-- hopefully within the next 60 days

however i'm under no illusion that i will get a "limo ride" from the DDA's. it's a GT3, and i don't believe the technology currently exists using a traditional spring and damper setup-- even an active one-- that will truly allow that, especially on an ageing platform like the 997.

i've driven 458's and MP4's, and those-- the Mclaren in particular-- have a degree of comfort which i can only dream about for my car. if the DDA's get even halfway there, i'd be happy.

am i overpaying given such a marginal improvement in comfort? i guess we'll find out soon enough. what makes the decision easier is that i was all prepared to go with a set of full adjustable Exe-TC's, and those are at least as pricey as the Tractive's. problem is, there's no one around here whom I trust to really set up a full adjustable suspension properly, so i could just end up making things worse!
DSC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #60
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Jake951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 1,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC Sport View Post
I think Larry Cable summed it up pretty well. If you're referring to ride quality and comfort over bumps then there is a certain level of subjectivity here. Furthermore, the modes are all rather vast ranges (rather than fixed values) and the damping value or perceived "stiffness" is going to be based on the input level. There's also a lot of overlap within these ranges.

It's most likely that when you're driving on the street you're not pushing the car hard enough to really feel that increase in damping level, whereas on the track you're pushing your car a lot harder.
Yes, my impressions on the DSC are subjective, i.e. seat of the pants. I am definitely not pushing the car very hard on the street. I save that for the track. When I am on the street, if I try to adjust the DSC settings based on perceived comfort over bumpy roads, then as I said earlier, I don't see a lot of difference between the 3 modes.

I do find myself using different settings on different tracks, however. Here in the Northeast, I use setting #1 ("softest") at NHMS, #3 (stiffest) at Palmer, #2 at WGI, #3 at LRP, and #3 at Thompson.
Jake951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-new DSC Sport Air Lift System! DSC Sport 997 GT2/GT3 Forum 11 02-16-2017 01:04 PM
All-New DSC Sport Air Lift System! DSC Sport 991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R 6 12-03-2016 12:37 PM
DSC Sport - RetroSeries (user definable active suspension system) 911Jetta 964 Forum 5 10-21-2016 09:36 AM
Who has full Tractive DDA suspension on their GT3? Jake951 997 GT2/GT3 Forum 21 10-19-2016 03:52 PM
DSC Sport bigkraig 991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R 23 04-25-2016 06:06 PM


Tags
dsc, dsc sport, pasm, porsche, suspension

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send