Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on this enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this enclosed trailer

Was hoping to get some feedback on this trailer: http://www.99westtrailers.com/alcom-...7l-car-hauler/

I can probably get it around $11K which I know is pricey, but I'll be towing with a '09 Cayenne GTS so need something light. I know the Cayenne isn't ideal for towing what essentially is a brick but getting a 3rd vehicle isn't practical for me at this stage.

My primary concern is resale given that the brand isn't that well known (same group that makes Mission trailers?), so a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. I'm sure I'll end up wanting a longer one in the future, but this should be enough for at least a couple years.

Appreciate any feedback
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

If you need a light trailer, what about an open trailer? If you really want an enclosed, featherlite trailers are nice and light but also $$$
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 PM
entityx
Racer

Originally Posted by ngng
If you need a light trailer, what about an open trailer? If you really want an enclosed, featherlite trailers are nice and light but also $$$
I was originally looking at the Featherlite 3110, but decided that I would rather have an enclosed.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That you Kas? Looks like your car. Why don't you bring your Cayenne out and tow my Trailex enclosed w/ GT2 in the back and see if you like it? I actually sold my Cayenne when I switched from Open to Enclosed.

My Trailex is basically same specs at that for weight/length/height etc. Mine just has more dents.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:45 PM
entityx
Racer

Originally Posted by vr4henry
That you Kas? Looks like your car. Why don't you bring your Cayenne out and tow my Trailex enclosed w/ GT2 in the back and see if you like it? I actually sold my Cayenne when I switched from Open to Enclosed.

My Trailex is basically same specs at that for weight/length/height etc. Mine just has more dents.
Hey Henry, that sounds great - appreciate you offering that up. Looking forward to catching up tomorrow at TC.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:22 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used enclosed black trailex for sale in NW
Asking $17k - stored indoors
No affiliation
Ad came from pano

When and if you bought it - very good resale
Off brand trailers not so much
Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

kas
enclosed Trailex
contact doug at switchcar
Old 01-24-2015, 01:54 AM
entityx
Racer

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
Used enclosed black trailex for sale in NW
Asking $17k - stored indoors
No affiliation
Ad came from pano

When and if you bought it - very good resale
Off brand trailers not so much
Originally Posted by mooty
kas
enclosed Trailex
contact doug at switchcar
Thanks guys, I've reached out to both. That trailer does look pretty sweet, and would be ideal for the Cayenne. Its a bit out of my budget, but may make sense for me to stretch for this.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth the stretch imho
If you are towing with a cayenne and want enclosed then trailex is the way to go
Limited supply on west coast almost guarantees great resale

If you want some local eyes on the used one I would be happy to check it out for you if you are serious about it and owner is amenable
Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 AM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also. The big flappy side doors help so much with ingress/egress. I'd rather drive it up on ramps then have to winch it in/out every time.

If I bought a new Trailex I'd get their new awning cover on one side, electric tongue jack + 12" box height I think (maybe 6" if I could stand straight), LED lights everywhere.

After seeing all the sweet TPD 24' jobs around here in CA I really want one now for the storage. Not a lot of organization/storage in the Trailex. But the TPDs is way too heavy for the Cayenne. I question if my 2500 Suburuban would be happy with it loaded out @ 10k or so
Old 01-24-2015, 05:53 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I would agree with the others that Trailex is the way to go and I tow mine with a Cayenne Diesel.

First, the trailer shown in the first picture would make it hard to get in and out of the car when in the trailer. Trailer has a large side door so you just step in and out.
Second, instead of a ramp gate rear opening the Trailex has 11 foot ramps and the rear door opens up. The door opening up means protection from weather as you load and unload. 11 ft pull out ramps mean less of an incline as you drive your car on and off and far less chance of damaging a low front spoiler.

Third, the Trailex has moveable chocks so it is easy to adjust the load for different vehicles.

Fourth, the trailer is built so you can fully open the driver side car door on even a low slung sports car right over the fender making entrance and exit easier

Fifth, the trailer roof is lower, which means that while you might not be able to fully stand up inside ( I'm 5'9" and can not quite stand straight up) it does mean lower wind resistance while towing which is good.

and sixth you can't beat Trailex quality and customer support. No I don't work for them just rally like their trailers. Started with an open Trailex and moved to the enclosed. so nice to have all tools, tires etc have a place and always in their place. So in goes the car and off you go.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot the best part: it's only 7 feet tall. I was able or push mine into my garage with the race car in it and closr the door!!

It's so light that I was also able to pull it back out by hand and spin it around for easy hook up to my tow vehicle.

So light I had to keep checking the mirrors to see if it was still behind my truck!

Sold it for only 1000 less than I bought it for 5 years later.

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would agree with the others that Trailex is the way to go and I tow mine with a Cayenne Diesel.

First, the trailer shown in the first picture would make it hard to get in and out of the car when in the trailer. Trailer has a large side door so you just step in and out.
Second, instead of a ramp gate rear opening the Trailex has 11 foot ramps and the rear door opens up. The door opening up means protection from weather as you load and unload. 11 ft pull out ramps mean less of an incline as you drive your car on and off and far less chance of damaging a low front spoiler.

Third, the Trailex has moveable chocks so it is easy to adjust the load for different vehicles.

Fourth, the trailer is built so you can fully open the driver side car door on even a low slung sports car right over the fender making entrance and exit easier

Fifth, the trailer roof is lower, which means that while you might not be able to fully stand up inside ( I'm 5'9" and can not quite stand straight up) it does mean lower wind resistance while towing which is good.

and sixth you can't beat Trailex quality and customer support. No I don't work for them just rally like their trailers. Started with an open Trailex and moved to the enclosed. so nice to have all tools, tires etc have a place and always in their place. So in goes the car and off you go.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

kaz, budget is fungible.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Enclosed trailex is hard to find used.
When you do find them used they are $14-17k.

They have good resale. Buy with confidence.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Trailex all the way. I love mine. Used are hard to find, I got lucky and bought it from a dealer who had barely used it, never titled.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this enclosed trailer