Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

COTA Question - Tires & Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts
Default COTA Question - Tires & Brakes

Wondering how hard this track is on tires/brakes. This is a 3 day event at end of Feb with MVP

I'll be bringing 2 sets of Nitto, plus street tires in case it rains, will this suffice for 3 days of DE there?

Brakes, my rears are in decent shape, fronts pretty good, will bring a set of new front rotors + new pads all around. Assume this will suffice?

I've never been on this track and tend to learn a little slow - and my speeds at local tracks are intermediate. So where a top DE driver may get 3-4 DE days out of a set of tires I get 4-5 days typically.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run COTA several times in my 997.1 GT3 also. It's pretty easy on tires, so 1 set of NT01's should last the three days. With all the sets you're bringing, you're good to go.

It is hard on brakes but the straights are pretty long to help with cool down. Main thing is I'd make sure you have good fluid, SRF or the best Motul (can't remember the number). I run SRF along with PFC08 brake pads. These held up very well - no issues with fade.

Good luck and have fun. I ran with MVP at COTA their first year. I've never seen so many GT3's in one place.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:05 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy on tires. Hard on brakes. One set of fresh Nittos will be fine so you are good on tires. Bring some spare brake pads unless they are new.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Wondering how hard this track is on tires/brakes. This is a 3 day event at end of Feb with MVP

I'll be bringing 2 sets of Nitto, plus street tires in case it rains, will this suffice for 3 days of DE there?

Brakes, my rears are in decent shape, fronts pretty good, will bring a set of new front rotors + new pads all around. Assume this will suffice?

I've never been on this track and tend to learn a little slow - and my speeds at local tracks are intermediate. So where a top DE driver may get 3-4 DE days out of a set of tires I get 4-5 days typically.
I agree with the other guys, you've more than got it covered with what you're taking.
Just out of curiosity, so a set of nittos only last you 4-5 days? Thats really surprising. Do they cord at that point? I easily get 10 days out of mine and if I flip them on the rim about halfway through their life they will probably go to 15. At the end of every track day I move them side to side. Could that be the difference?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Ok, sounds good. i'll have a 70% set of PFC on the car, a new set of front rotors, rears should be fine, they look good, and another new set of pads as backup. I run Endless fluid that is always fresh (I flush often).

Depends on the track and the heat. One of the tracks here is pretty hard on tires, lots of long high-g turns and it can get hot which based on the amount of rubber on the side of the car looks like the tires are just melting. if I'm running some of the other tracks I can get a few more days. I rotate left/right each day. I don't bother flipping on rim as they actually wear really evenly with the setup of my car. Rears wear inners a little bit faster but not enough to bother flipping on rim. So low side for me is 4-5, high side can be 6-8 for the tracks here.

I know the really fast guys will cord NT01 in 3-4 days.

Originally Posted by paver
I agree with the other guys, you've more than got it covered with what you're taking.
Just out of curiosity, so a set of nittos only last you 4-5 days? Thats really surprising. Do they cord at that point? I easily get 10 days out of mine and if I flip them on the rim about halfway through their life they will probably go to 15. At the end of every track day I move them side to side. Could that be the difference?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:58 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Ok, sounds good. i'll have a 70% set of PFC on the car, a new set of front rotors, rears should be fine, they look good, and another new set of pads as backup. I run Endless fluid that is always fresh (I flush often).

Depends on the track and the heat. One of the tracks here is pretty hard on tires, lots of long high-g turns and it can get hot which based on the amount of rubber on the side of the car looks like the tires are just melting. if I'm running some of the other tracks I can get a few more days. I rotate left/right each day. I don't bother flipping on rim as they actually wear really evenly with the setup of my car. Rears wear inners a little bit faster but not enough to bother flipping on rim. So low side for me is 4-5, high side can be 6-8 for the tracks here.

I know the really fast guys will cord NT01 in 3-4 days.
I'm probably a lot slower than I think
Have fun at COTA
Old 01-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Or maybe just a smoother more efficient driver :-)
Old 01-06-2015, 03:07 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with previous comments. You'd want to have an extra safety margin, especially on brakes as there are a few turns that can turn nasty very quickly if your brakes fail. T12 comes to mind, but T11 and 20 qualify too..

Old 01-06-2015, 05:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
I get an average of 18-20 sessions on a set of NT01s. Thats almost 5 days for me. All 4 are bald at that point but the rears will cord first. I do flip tires side to side after each day also. With a sticker tire like V710, I barely get 3 days...
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I get an average of 18-20 sessions on a set of NT01s. Thats almost 5 days for me. All 4 are bald at that point but the rears will cord first. I do flip tires side to side after each day also. With a sticker tire like V710, I barely get 3 days...
how much does your car weigh? Ever driven any eastern tracks? Just curious to compare lap times.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Bring a spare set of F/R pads. Not only are the long straights hard on brakes, there is a ton of rear grip that you'll use to brake, and consequently use up rear pads faster than you'd expect. I'd also get a brake fluid flush, new engine and tranny oil. COTA is hard on everything.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
... I'd also get a brake fluid flush, new engine and tranny oil. COTA is hard on everything.
C'mon, Shake - while COTA is tough, I don't think he will need a new engine. I usually get 3-4 DE's out of an engine before I replace it....

Old 01-06-2015, 09:08 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Shake is hard core. He swaps in new motors every few events to keep up with the Jones'. He has to chase down Mister "Fast Everywhere".
Old 01-06-2015, 09:30 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

you got me....rickybobby likes to go fast
Old 01-06-2015, 09:30 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

You are VERY covered with what you're bringing. COTA isn't that much of a monster. The surface is so smooth it helps prolong your tire life. T12 is the only REAL killer of brakes. T1 and T11 aren't that much worse than many other tracks.

Relax and have a frick'n BALL!!

Quick Reply: COTA Question - Tires & Brakes