Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

COTA Question - Tires & Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:28 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Sally and I might be in green. I would have to dig out Mark's email.

Last year, Red was intermediate and everything else was advanced. I think he had yellow, green, black and red maybe.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I asked for intermediate.

So pumped for the weekend. Will be fun.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I see that he kept his nannies on in that video. I'll be doing the same thing...
That was my first day on track and it was only semi-dry, that prompted me to leave the TC on. Since it was my first day, I started on 8 hc R6s and was saving my fresh set for day two. I was crushed when we came back from lunch to find that my radiator had sprung a leak. Weekend over - what a bummer.

Like I said earlier, ShakeNBake knows this place and he helped me get up to speed in my first session there.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
That was my first day on track and it was only semi-dry, that prompted me to leave the TC on. Since it was my first day, I started on 8 hc R6s and was saving my fresh set for day two. I was crushed when we came back from lunch to find that my radiator had sprung a leak. Weekend over - what a bummer.

Like I said earlier, ShakeNBake knows this place and he helped me get up to speed in my first session there.
What group are you and ShakeNBake in? It normally takes me 2-3 sessions to get 90% to getting the line down and then slowly getting faster and faster. I remember I ran the new 5-mile Thunderhill configuration back in Sept....first few sessions I ran a 3:45-3:50...by the end of the 2nd day I was down to 3:33-3:34. I always leave the nannies on, I try to drive smoothly so they don't kick in as much. You guys will have to provide lead-follow...
Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Btw, I hear you can pay people to wait and get Franklin's BBQ....I want to try some of that BBQ....who's in for that?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 AM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

@usctrojan, if there are a group of you, by far the better way is to call Franklin BBQ up two weeks in advance (IIRC) and have them cater it for you. No waiting in line, get whatever you want.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
@usctrojan, if there are a group of you, by far the better way is to call Franklin BBQ up two weeks in advance (IIRC) and have them cater it for you. No waiting in line, get whatever you want.
Been there and several other places in Austin. I love tx bbq. Question is, what do the locals think is the best. We can do a bbq tour of Austin. It's all I eat when in tx.

Good idea about catering. Who's in :-)
Old 01-12-2015, 01:39 AM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Nevermind what I said, apparently Franklin changed it and you now need to book 2 months in advance (no wonder we haven't been getting it as often at the office): https://franklinbarbecue.com/preorders/

Franklin is very good. Try la Barbecue as well. And for the real TX experience, make the 40 minute drive to Lockhart so you can try Smitty's, Kreuz's, and Black's (though Black now has a store in Austin, which I haven't been to). Avoid the Salt Lick, which is a tourist trap.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Micklethwait Craft Meats is a block away and nearly as good.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shivatron
Nevermind what I said, apparently Franklin changed it and you now need to book 2 months in advance (no wonder we haven't been getting it as often at the office): https://franklinbarbecue.com/preorders/

Franklin is very good. Try la Barbecue as well. And for the real TX experience, make the 40 minute drive to Lockhart so you can try Smitty's, Kreuz's, and Black's (though Black now has a store in Austin, which I haven't been to). Avoid the Salt Lick, which is a tourist trap.
Wow, catering booked 2 months in advance...nuts. Ok, so who's in for paying someone to get us Franklins and bringing it to the track?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Micklethwait Craft Meats is a block away and nearly as good.
Yeah but will they run out of BBQ before lunch time?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:35 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

J. Mueller's is also good.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:00 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Back to the track. Speak with ShakeNBake and Texas RS or others before going on this track.
You can achieve some good times if you have a good line and in many places you dont need to use the "entire track" or are better off not going complete left to right side. Going completely left to right, right to left as per DE instructions, will be reflected in slower lap times. If you are offline on this track, it can be scary in some places.
Ex: What you don't see in the video is that every corner from 3-7 are off camber. At entry to 3, you crest over hill, left turn and track falls to the right, then 4 immediatly following is right turn and track falls off to the left. Some of this can be eliminated by staying more center before entry to 3. Then you can almost go straight from 3 to 4. From turn 5 to 6 is all off camber and it is faster to stay close to right side. (the out/rescue for 3 is to go straight, lots of room forward, but dont try to save the line and and stay on track as turn 3/4 are known as Porsche killers. Better to take out suspension on big rumbles than the entire car)
In 16-17-18, you don't want to go to far left, track falls off, TexasRS has a good line, as you can see, he not going to far out to the left but stays more mid to right side of track before tracking out of 18.
There are many tricks to this track and talking with people familiar with the track will help.
Times: you can expect times around 2:40 first sessions, then improve from there.
Under 2:30 is fast, under 2:26 is in the top 10% of the cars/drivers that will drive with MVP that weekend.

Last edited by tgavem; 01-13-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

usctrojan,

I've sent Franklin's a note asking how they can best accommodate the needs of our west coast visitors who are only coming to Austin for a Texas bbq fix.... We will see how they respond.

Shake and I are in the black or yellow run group, they were both fast groups with a moving chicane or three in each. I have some entertaining video of fast cars, with slow drivers, that apparently had very poor rearward visibility. Or they may have been in overload. Just part of it, it happens at every track I have ever been to.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas RS
usctrojan,

I've sent Franklin's a note asking how they can best accommodate the needs of our west coast visitors who are only coming to Austin for a Texas bbq fix.... We will see how they respond.

Shake and I are in the black or yellow run group, they were both fast groups with a moving chicane or three in each. I have some entertaining video of fast cars, with slow drivers, that apparently had very poor rearward visibility. Or they may have been in overload. Just part of it, it happens at every track I have ever been to.
Thanks, other than a layover at the Dallas Airport I've never been to Texas. I have heard the BBQ is heavenly out there and I'm a meat eater so I'd be sad if I didn't gain 5+ lbs from eating delicious Texas BBQ.

Quick Reply: COTA Question - Tires & Brakes