Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question about 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:25 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
To answer your specific question - the 997.2 GT3 suspension is much firmer than a 991 or 981 with PASM. I had a 991 C2S and it was like a nice Mercedes - one of the reasons I sold it. The 987 with X73 suspension is about perfect for me - GT3 is firmer yet. 981 with PASM on sport setting - more compliant than GT3 with PASM in normal mode.

Reading through this thread I can safely say a GT3 is not the car for you. Another option for a compliant DD is the Audi R8. If you can handle the attention! Also, don't over look the Cayman or Boxster - they are among the most fun cars you can own.
Meh R8 is too much. I'd only want the v10 and it's too expensive. I'm contemplating the cayman GTS. My build for that 96k but I can get it under for under 90k so it's a very attractive car. Plus I feel it would be more DD friendly than the new zo6.

See if we were talking 991 GT3 I'd have no issues since everyone says the ride is much better compared to the 997.

So then I guess I'm back to trying to decide between a new cayman GTS for under 90k or a 997.2 2011/2012 turbo S for around 105-115k with less than 20k miles.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jem7v, I bought a Porsche Boxster new in 2005 and have owned it now for 9 years and it still drives exactly the same as new.
Porsche's have very, very good build quality, if my Boxster is an example.
You can't compare the quality of a Porsche to a Corvette, they are light years away in quality, even the new C7 Vette cannot compare.
The materials, fit and finish, build quality of a Porsche is much higher.
But you have to pay for it. For example the new C7 Vette comes with 455hp and starts around $54k.
A new Porsche Carrera S only has 400hp and starts around $100k. Huge difference.
The difference is quality materials and workmanship.
By the way I think you should scratch off the GT3 from your list, as the clutch is really hard, and the ride is quite harsh.
When I test drove a GT3 and then got back into my Boxster I almost put my left leg through the floor, as the Boxster clutch pedal felt feather light.
I personally don't mind the ride, because my 2007 Ariel Atom I had for 6 years had a pretty rough ride, but that was the least extreme part of that car.
The GT3 is probably the closest mass production car to my Atom, as it is rough, loud, very reactive and stimulates most of your senses.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick1
jem7v, I bought a Porsche Boxster new in 2005 and have owned it now for 9 years and it still drives exactly the same as new.
Porsche's have very, very good build quality, if my Boxster is an example.
You can't compare the quality of a Porsche to a Corvette, they are light years away in quality, even the new C7 Vette cannot compare.
The materials, fit and finish, build quality of a Porsche is much higher.
But you have to pay for it. For example the new C7 Vette comes with 455hp and starts around $54k.
A new Porsche Carrera S only has 400hp and starts around $100k. Huge difference.
The difference is quality materials and workmanship.
By the way I think you should scratch off the GT3 from your list, as the clutch is really hard, and the ride is quite harsh.
When I test drove a GT3 and then got back into my Boxster I almost put my left leg through the floor, as the Boxster clutch pedal felt feather light.
I personally don't mind the ride, because my 2007 Ariel Atom I had for 6 years had a pretty rough ride, but that was the least extreme part of that car.
The GT3 is probably the closest mass production car to my Atom, as it is rough, loud, very reactive and stimulates most of your senses.

Yea looks like no GT3 for me at least until 991 prices come down. So I guess its either cayman GTS or 997.2 turbo S. I'm wondering if its worth waiting for the cayman GT4. But if it's over 100k then I'm not really interested in it at that price.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

as someone who is also considering a GT3, this was a great thread to go through. thanks everyone for the feedback!

just spent 5 days driving around Germany in a 2015 Cayman S with the sport suspension and really liked it. stiff but not jarring. then again, roads in Germany are much smoother than roads around here, so guess we'll see how that car feels when it gets off the ship.

think my biggest concern now is if i'm going to scrape like crazy getting in and out of the garage at my place. most of the GT3s i'm seeing for sale near me (SF Bay Area) don't seem to have the lift kit. my RS4 is on coilovers and just barely scrapes when i pull out. i'll have to measure the clearance on that to compare.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saru385
as someone who is also considering a GT3, this was a great thread to go through. thanks everyone for the feedback!

just spent 5 days driving around Germany in a 2015 Cayman S with the sport suspension and really liked it. stiff but not jarring. then again, roads in Germany are much smoother than roads around here, so guess we'll see how that car feels when it gets off the ship.

think my biggest concern now is if i'm going to scrape like crazy getting in and out of the garage at my place. most of the GT3s i'm seeing for sale near me (SF Bay Area) don't seem to have the lift kit. my RS4 is on coilovers and just barely scrapes when i pull out. i'll have to measure the clearance on that to compare.
I drive around in a 981 boxster S often. The ride really is great on that car. Again if in the firm mode it is still livable. I still would like to see if someone in my area would be willing to take me for a ride in their GT3, so I can actually see for myself if its too stiff.

Quick Reply: Question about 997.2 GT3