Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question about 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

7.2 Turbo manual clutch is hydraulically assisted (I think) and is much lighter than 7.2 GT3 clutch.

Try the 7.2 Turbo clutch with engine off to get an idea of the weight of 7.2 GT3 clutch
Old 10-27-2014, 12:30 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

mine is DD. no problem at all.

I live in SF, so weather is not a problem, nor is the clutch.

Our roads are really bad (the state is broke), that's the only issue. Too bad CA can't afford fresh asphalt
Old 10-27-2014, 02:58 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s4awd
I currently have a 997.2 RS and a 2014 GT500. I can tell you right now, the GT500 feels like a Cadillac compared to the RS. The clutch on the GT500 is much lighter and smoother than the GT3. More in line with a BMW M clutch. I traded a standard GT3 to the RS and the clutches feel pretty much the same in weight. Getting in and out, clutch feel, size, ground clearance and overall driving comfort are much better in the Shelby. If you have the adaptive sport seats in the GT3 it will help quite a bit compared to the sport buckets if you still want to try.
Hmmmm this comment is very useful. Since I use the shelby has my comparison tool since the zr1 had the magnetic ride and independent rear. So the RS is bumpier than a live axle shelby? That's hard to imagine. I'd imagine the porsche would be way more comfortable than the shelby. The shelby was at my absolute limit for what I would put up with day to day for a car that gives me driving enjoyment.

Originally Posted by brake dust
May want to consider the 991 GT3? The PDK for the daily commute hads got to be much easier than the heavy clutch of the 997. The more involved 997 might be negative for most in a daily commute. I wouldn't trade my 997 for a 991 - but mine is for the weekends and track events. Looks like its the last Motorsport derived GT3.
Can't afford to spend 150k. My max budget is like 110-115k.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I've done about 23K miles in mine in the last 3 years. Not even close to DD'ing for me but I've put a decent amount of miles on it. That said, everything is subjective. Given what you've stated above, I'm not sure this car is for you. I've driven mine to work in LA 405 rush hour traffic. Didn't bother me much. Couldn't do it every day though. In my current bay area commute of 20 miles in barely any traffic, I could easily drive it every day.

From feedback posted by other drivers, the car can be driven (carefully) in the snow. Just need the proper tires.

Scraping is something you just get used to. The piece scraping 90% of the time is a $200 detachable plastic lip. Takes 5 minutes to replace and most here consider it a wear item. Lift would be optimal though based on your stated needs.

I would look for a car with a clear ownership history - preferably a private party car. Dealers will tell you anything to sell a car so you can't believe anything they say. As is said here, you buy the seller, not the car. Find someone that knows the car well and takes meticulous care and has every receipt. For a street driven car, not much to worry about other than the center lock recalls being done and the owner or servicing mechanic knowing the proper procedures for install/removal of the wheels. If tracked, the coolant pipe fittings ideally should be addressed. Cars are pretty bullet proof otherwise. Don't shy away from tracked cars either. Most here that track (myself included) take meticulous care of our cars.

Options are totally subjective. One owner here may want a stripped car; others may want one with deviated stitching on the air vents and on every other orifice in the car. What's important to you? What will you be doing with the car and how will you use it?

Market on these cars is $100K - 120K dependent primarily on condition and mileage. Options except maybe carbon buckets don't add much value. If you have more specific wants (color, options, mileage, etc) post a WTB ad here and if one exists, it will be sourced here.

The GT3 is a simply amazing car. If you haven't driven one already, start by doing that. You'll know right away whether it's for you or not. Most that drive them, buy them shortly thereafter.

Best of luck and if you have more specific questions, ask away.
Yea my daily commute is 7 miles to work and 7 miles back so 14 miles round trip. It's the commute coming back really that has the worst traffic. Usually will take me around 30 minutes to get home when I live 10 minutes away. Though I am moving to the city I work in, so I will be able to walk to work. But that isn't happening for at least another year or two since the condo I want to live in won't be built until then. At that point the car would become a weekend car.

Essentially I just want a fun enjoyable car that right now won't kill me on resale value. It's not because I can't afford it that I care, it's just losing that amount of money at this point in time psychological bothers me. In like 3-4 years I want to sell what I have and get a 991 turbo or GT3 when prices come down.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:13 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering, a turbo S 2011 could be had for under 115k with under 20k miles, same as a 2011 GT3, but I made a build for a new C2S at 123k which I probably could get for 110-115k, and a 911 GTS build at 130k, which maybe could get to 115-117k.

I wonder whats the best option here for a DD. It seems the turbo S may be it.....
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I would argue against a Porsche 911 of any kind as a commuter vehicle in the above mentioned setting. Sure it will do fine, even with the stiff clutch of a GT3 (and it's quite stiff!) but these cars' engines like to be revved and taken through their paces. They don't like crawling. I don't see how spending 30 minutes inside one of them to cover 10 miles is any fun. I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

Best of luck on your decision!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally wouldn't DD it for the following reasons:

-It's low so you'll scrape inevitably
-I don't like parking it anywhere I can fit it

Nothing's wrong w/ the clutch or ride. If my econobox had the same stiffness, I'd daily it no problem.

I only like driving when work and the daily grind aren't on my mind and unfortunately/fortunately, these moments are more the exception than the rule for most busy people.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:05 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
I would argue against a Porsche 911 of any kind as a commuter vehicle in the above mentioned setting. Sure it will do fine, even with the stiff clutch of a GT3 (and it's quite stiff!) but these cars' engines like to be revved and taken through their paces. They don't like crawling. I don't see how spending 30 minutes inside one of them to cover 10 miles is any fun. I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

Best of luck on your decision!
Huh? The 911 was designed to be a DD sports car. What your saying doesn't quite make sense. Besides it makes those 10 miles all the more enjoyable. Plus I drive a lot of back roads on weekends and I plan on tracking a couple times a year.

Originally Posted by CYKBC
I personally wouldn't DD it for the following reasons:

-It's low so you'll scrape inevitably
-I don't like parking it anywhere I can fit it

Nothing's wrong w/ the clutch or ride. If my econobox had the same stiffness, I'd daily it no problem.

I only like driving when work and the daily grind aren't on my mind and unfortunately/fortunately, these moments are more the exception than the rule for most busy people.
Is the ride comparable to say a 911 991 4s with the shocks in the firm setting? Or a 987 boxster S shocks in the firm setting? Is it stiffer than that? People say the new GT3 feels like the C2s with the shocks in the firm setting so if its firmer than that I'd think it's too firm.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...731865558.html

So what can you guys tell me about this GT3? Good deal or bad? Apparently CPO till next year. All the recalls have been done and the water coolant hose has been replaced. It says never been tracked but somehow I doubt it. I mean why is all the track gear on it then? Even the tow hook.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it doesn't say never been tracked...it says never been raced...it's probably seen plenty of track time
Old 10-28-2014, 12:19 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paver
it doesn't say never been tracked...it says never been raced...it's probably seen plenty of track time
Raced, Tracked, seems to the same to me.

Anyone have any comments on if the sport buckets are comfortable for DD use? I liked the recaros in the shelby. Probably the most comfortable bucket seats I ever been in. I hated the zr1 seats. Made my back hurt.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^my point was this - "never been raced" does not mean "never been on track"...was just trying to help you understand that.
I really like sport buckets. They belong in the car, imo. But like most everything your asking about, it is based on personal opinion. Some say car has to have a lift to avoid scraping some don't. Some say the clutch is too stiff some don't. I wouldn't want to daily drive mine, I know that. But some have no problem with it. For a daily driver, some would find the seats hard to get in and out of. And if you're a big guy they could be a problem. But if you don't like them you could probably trade them for regular seats and come out three thousand dollars or more to the plus side.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paver
^my point was this - "never been raced" does not mean "never been on track"...was just trying to help you understand that.
I really like sport buckets. They belong in the car, imo. But like most everything your asking about, it is based on personal opinion. Some say car has to have a lift to avoid scraping some don't. Some say the clutch is too stiff some don't. I wouldn't want to daily drive mine, I know that. But some have no problem with it. For a daily driver, some would find the seats hard to get in and out of. And if you're a big guy they could be a problem. But if you don't like them you could probably trade them for regular seats and come out three thousand dollars or more to the plus side.
I don't really care if they are hard to get in and out of. All bucket seats are kinda like that, comes with the territory. I'm just wondering if they are too firm. They seem to have hardly any padding.

I'm trying to convince myself now to get this over the new zo6, so I'm using you guys as help for that by educating me, since I probably won't be able to drive a GT3 lol.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM
hs63gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
I don't really care if they are hard to get in and out of. All bucket seats are kinda like that, comes with the territory. I'm just wondering if they are too firm. They seem to have hardly any padding.

I'm trying to convince myself now to get this over the new zo6, so I'm using you guys as help for that by educating me, since I probably won't be able to drive a GT3 lol.
Are you really getting a new vette over last-mezger-engined gt3??

I bet you will regret if you get a gt3 without bucket seats.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 997.1 GT3 is a semi-DD. The stiff clutch becomes a non-issue after two or three days of getting used to it. You never think about it again. The low front end clearance can be an issue if you have to deal with steep driveway or garage ramps. Mine doesn't come with the lift, so I learn what to avoid. The ride is quite stiff and can be quite jarring over rough roads (I understand the 997.2 is better here). Outside of the magnificent engine/exhaust sound, the car is quite noisy, which may become tiresome on long trips. If you only have to deal with occasional light snowfall, you will be fine with winter tires. I've driven mine once in snow with winter tires to see how it coped and it was as good, if not better, than any other car I've driven in snow. Despite all the caveats, however, no other 911 variant, except maybe the GT2, has the soul of the GT3.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hs63gt3
Are you really getting a new vette over last-mezger-engined gt3??

I bet you will regret if you get a gt3 without bucket seats.
I know right?? lol. But the new zo6 is pretty bad ***. The problem is coming from this being my only car. If I was like most buyers and had 2, I wouldn't care really. Plus also finding one that wasn't raped on the track every other week is another issue.

Originally Posted by Jake951
My 997.1 GT3 is a semi-DD. The stiff clutch becomes a non-issue after two or three days of getting used to it. You never think about it again. The low front end clearance can be an issue if you have to deal with steep driveway or garage ramps. Mine doesn't come with the lift, so I learn what to avoid. The ride is quite stiff and can be quite jarring over rough roads (I understand the 997.2 is better here). Outside of the magnificent engine/exhaust sound, the car is quite noisy, which may become tiresome on long trips. If you only have to deal with occasional light snowfall, you will be fine with winter tires. I've driven mine once in snow with winter tires to see how it coped and it was as good, if not better, than any other car I've driven in snow. Despite all the caveats, however, no other 911 variant, except maybe the GT2, has the soul of the GT3.
Hmmm....Has anyone who has a .2 GT3 and a 991 or 981 with PASM driven both to compare the ride quality? Again if it's basically the same as a 991 in the firm setting, then it'll be fine. But if it's worse than say the shelby that another member pointed out (albeit that was an RS), than that's too rough for me to drive every day.

So if someone could answer this that would be great.

Quick Reply: Question about 997.2 GT3