Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question about 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Question about 997.2 GT3

Can a 997.2 GT3 really be driven every day? I am debating a 997.2 turbo S but these GT3's seem to be holding their value much better and I prefer the driving experience they offer.

BUT..........

I really don't want a firm riding super low *** car that scraps over everything. Also if I stick winter tires on this car, can it be driven in the snow? (And I'm talking 1-2 inches max if that 4x a year). Also how is the clutch feel in the car? Does it get annoying and tiring in bumper to bumper traffic? For comparison I had a 13 shelby and 12 zr1 and those things were annoying as hell in bumper to bumper traffic. Especially the shelby, since the clutch was heavy as hell.

And if I go on the hunt for a CPO GT3 what are some potential things I should look out for? What are the must have options?

I really like this GT3 for example (and I hate white, but this one looks nice) but it's been serviced like every 500 miles according to the carfax over 3 owners.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...22/overview/#1

Would that imply this car has been tracked heavily?? I would want a GT3 that someone literally used only for the street or just stared at in a garage all day.

Also what are the prices right now for a 997.2 GT3? I would want miles under 25k and CPO, and ideally wouldn't want to pay more than 110-115k.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:20 PM
hs63gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my gt3 almost every day without any problem. it is kinda firm riding but I dont really mind since I hate soft riding.

clutch is very heavy, probably heavier than your mustang, so it will bother you in heavy traffic.

most important thing is that everything depends on where you live.

if you live in a place like LA, I wouldn't recommend you to drive gt3.

if it snows heavy during winter at where you live, you dont wanna drive gt3 even with snow tires.

for me, GT3 is 100% daily driveable car, but as I said, it is totally depends on you and your location.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hs63gt3
I drive my gt3 almost every day without any problem. it is kinda firm riding but I dont really mind since I hate soft riding.

clutch is very heavy, probably heavier than your mustang, so it will bother you in heavy traffic.

most important thing is that everything depends on where you live.

if you live in a place like LA, I wouldn't recommend you to drive gt3.

if it snows heavy during winter at where you live, you dont wanna drive gt3 even with snow tires.

for me, GT3 is 100% daily driveable car, but as I said, it is totally depends on you and your location.
I'm in the DC/MD/VA area. It really doesn't snow, and if it does and it actually sticks on the road, its 2 inches. I drove a 997.2 manual turbo. So then it's clutch is heavier than that? Snow isn't so much of a problem. If it's on the ground it's there for a day or 2.

Some guy in my area drives a yellow .1 GT3 around all the time.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

110 views and 1 reply? Would really appreciate more input from the community guys.

thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

111, now.

I have no experience with a 3 as a daily drive, so not much advice I could impart there. I will tell you, however, that you definitely don't want to try to DD an RS - in any weather.

Vivian
Old 10-27-2014, 12:10 AM
hs63gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by jem7v
I'm in the DC/MD/VA area. It really doesn't snow, and if it does and it actually sticks on the road, its 2 inches. I drove a 997.2 manual turbo. So then it's clutch is heavier than that? Snow isn't so much of a problem. If it's on the ground it's there for a day or 2.

Some guy in my area drives a yellow .1 GT3 around all the time.

it is definitely heavier than turbo's clutch.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Anyone else on this forum DD their GT3 that can weigh in on some experience? Also what are the potential problems of this car? People don't have to DD them to give answers to that.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:37 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

A front axle lift equipped 997.2 GT3 is the most daily drivable GT3 of the entire group. It's definitely usable as a road car.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 AM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Can a 997.2 GT3 really be driven every day? I am debating a 997.2 turbo S but these GT3's seem to be holding their value much better and I prefer the driving experience they offer.

BUT..........

I really don't want a firm riding super low *** car that scraps over everything..
It's a firm riding super low *** car that scrapes over everything. Clutch is heavy, quite heavy if you are comparing to a turbo. For sure it can be driven every day, but in stop and go traffic and inclement weather...Not enjoyable IMO. It's an occasion car. If your drive is wide open, go for it. Turbo you should be able to land for a greater discount vs original MSRP.

Problems, weak lsd (more of a track issue), coolant pipes.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

I've done about 23K miles in mine in the last 3 years. Not even close to DD'ing for me but I've put a decent amount of miles on it. That said, everything is subjective. Given what you've stated above, I'm not sure this car is for you. I've driven mine to work in LA 405 rush hour traffic. Didn't bother me much. Couldn't do it every day though. In my current bay area commute of 20 miles in barely any traffic, I could easily drive it every day.

From feedback posted by other drivers, the car can be driven (carefully) in the snow. Just need the proper tires.

Scraping is something you just get used to. The piece scraping 90% of the time is a $200 detachable plastic lip. Takes 5 minutes to replace and most here consider it a wear item. Lift would be optimal though based on your stated needs.

I would look for a car with a clear ownership history - preferably a private party car. Dealers will tell you anything to sell a car so you can't believe anything they say. As is said here, you buy the seller, not the car. Find someone that knows the car well and takes meticulous care and has every receipt. For a street driven car, not much to worry about other than the center lock recalls being done and the owner or servicing mechanic knowing the proper procedures for install/removal of the wheels. If tracked, the coolant pipe fittings ideally should be addressed. Cars are pretty bullet proof otherwise. Don't shy away from tracked cars either. Most here that track (myself included) take meticulous care of our cars.

Options are totally subjective. One owner here may want a stripped car; others may want one with deviated stitching on the air vents and on every other orifice in the car. What's important to you? What will you be doing with the car and how will you use it?

Market on these cars is $100K - 120K dependent primarily on condition and mileage. Options except maybe carbon buckets don't add much value. If you have more specific wants (color, options, mileage, etc) post a WTB ad here and if one exists, it will be sourced here.

The GT3 is a simply amazing car. If you haven't driven one already, start by doing that. You'll know right away whether it's for you or not. Most that drive them, buy them shortly thereafter.

Best of luck and if you have more specific questions, ask away.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:29 AM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

chrisf said it best.

my 997.1 is dd-able except for the clutch being stiff. my friends 997.1 turbo is much more enjoyable on a daily basis. I think it depends a lot on what your commute consists of.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:35 AM
scbeast
Instructor

there was a period of 1 mo that i daily drove my .2 GT3 while awaiting a replacement DD.
I live in LA and I have the lift kit...the caveat is I drive PCH to work and not a congested freeway. Pure joy every day...if you don't mind the attention. The car has since been put back on weekend duty.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:36 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

I have had mine for two years as a DD having done 30,000kms in that time. The clutch is heavy but you quickly get used to it, it is not until you drive another car do you realise how heavy it is. The turbo uses a pressure vacuum system on the clutch line to make it softer, where as with the GT3 you are directly pushing the clutch fork with the hydraulics.

For a DD the front axle lift is mandatory, I use mine every day to get in and out of my drive, plus on occasions to get in and out of the supermarket etc.

The car is firm and buffets you about over undulating roads, but once again it all comes down to your tolerance for having a track focused car. If you want comfort the GT3 wouldn't be at the top of your list, go for the turbo. If you are willing to compromise some comfort for the driving experience then it is no problem. Don't get me wrong the GT3 is pretty complaint for daily use, it just isn't as soft as a turbo and you are going to have to live with that day in day out, not just on occasions.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

May want to consider the 991 GT3? The PDK for the daily commute hads got to be much easier than the heavy clutch of the 997. The more involved 997 might be negative for most in a daily commute. I wouldn't trade my 997 for a 991 - but mine is for the weekends and track events. Looks like its the last Motorsport derived GT3.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM
s4awd
Advanced

I currently have a 997.2 RS and a 2014 GT500. I can tell you right now, the GT500 feels like a Cadillac compared to the RS. The clutch on the GT500 is much lighter and smoother than the GT3. More in line with a BMW M clutch. I traded a standard GT3 to the RS and the clutches feel pretty much the same in weight. Getting in and out, clutch feel, size, ground clearance and overall driving comfort are much better in the Shelby. If you have the adaptive sport seats in the GT3 it will help quite a bit compared to the sport buckets if you still want to try.

Quick Reply: Question about 997.2 GT3