The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The bad news:
It's simply impossible for a human to heel/toe and this caused me no end of frustration. I don't yet know how I will fix this but I will, and soon.
Just check the granny paddle box on the option list….
Old 06-09-2014, 11:01 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

speaking of Camaro's, check out this vintage pic (location Montreal - Tremblant, Quebec) from racing in the 70's.
Derek Johnson - driver in door
John Todd - owner builder on left,
They built some wicked race and street cars, including my black 66 Mustang. Sorry I sold it back then
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 11:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

How did it handle the summer heat on the track?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added video to original post. Remember, I have to short shift for break-in reasons

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just check the granny paddle box on the option list….
Lol!

Originally Posted by DRPM
speaking of Camaro's, check out this vintage pic (location Montreal - Tremblant, Quebec) from racing in the 70's.
Derek Johnson - driver in door
John Todd - owner builder on left,
They built some wicked race and street cars, including my black 66 Mustang. Sorry I sold it back then
That is a great picture!

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What's the issue with heel and toe? Brake/gas pedal height not good? Got pics? Mike
I have it with my Porsche tech who's doing more track prep items. I'll shoot some pics as soon as I have access.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
How did it handle the summer heat on the track?
That's a great question. Owners Manual specifies steps to take for track use:

1. Remove the rain deflector from under the hood vent- YES
2. Install 70/30 water coolant mix in lieu of 50/50 factory fill- NO
3. Install 15W50 engine oil- NO

I did not do 2/3 because I didn't have time, was sick, and planned to drive the car gently anyhow. Ambient was various, but let's call it 95-100+f. For all but my last run session I ran full sessions, with A/C on, and oil temps were steady around ~280f. The last session, where temptation led me to let it sing a bit but not to redline, the A/C compressor was shutoff and a message came up indicating as much.

The display will offer additional warnings in regards to coolant and oil temp being too high and request idle to let things cools down. I saw indicated oil temps hit 300f and it generated no warnings and engine produced full power. And I did not alter the coolant mix as requested (Water Wetter is going in as we speak)

So the bottom line is that we can argue what is too hot and what isn't, but the fact is Mobil1 factory fill protects to 500f, no warnings were triggered, and the car ran great.

Answer is- it handled the heat as it would be expected to given the attention paid by the engineers to all the cooling systems they spec'ed for this car..
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Was that Mikymu with his corvette passing you? Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a great drive for the money or more money. Any thoughts on how this will compare against the Z06 now that the specs are out?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
So the bottom line is that we can argue what is too hot and what isn't, but the fact is Mobil1 factory fill protects to 500f, no warnings were triggered, and the car ran great.

Answer is- it handled the heat as it would be expected to given the attention paid by the engineers to all the cooling systems they spec'ed for this car..
Woah, woah, woah. Back the train up just a second. I think we're looking through slightly tinted glasses right now.

I don't think you can 'bottom line' anything yet. I'm sure the car ran just fine, but steady 280F oil temps are worrisome. You weren't driving the car at full tilt, so we really can't say anything about heat durability until you really open it up. The real heat is made at high sustained rpms. Changing the coolant mixture to 30/70 isn't going to make a huge difference. I saw this posted by brt3 in the camaro5 forum:

The worst thing I got was a message that my A/C was not longer available due to operating temps. I believe the oil touched 290 to 295, and the coolant was around 245. Changing my technique seemed to lower oil temps by at least 10 degrees.
290-295F oil temps and 245F coolant temps are not good, and this not even driving at full tilt. Just because the oil won't break down at those temps, doesn't mean you are free from worry. When oil temps get out of control, so does the coolant. Stable oil won't save you from head warp.

I don't think many cars will do well in the type of heat you guys were driving in this past weekend anyway, so it's not a fair test environment for the car. Although the last time I drove in 106F temp, datalogs showed the coolant temps on my BRZ stayed below 200F. It will be interesting to see how the temps do in 80-90F ambient temps in the Z/28. Jury is still out, IMO.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

It'll probably outlast your boxster spyder and mile away laptimewise and since your a future 991 gt3 owner- the camaro won't hurt as much when u nail a wall. Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

How much you bought your boxster spyder out of curiosity? Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

It'll probably outlast your boxster spyder and mile away laptimewise and since your a future 991 gt3 owner- the camaro won't hurt as much when u nail a wall. Mike
What makes you so sure that the camaro will outlast a boxster? Anything objective? Ben's spyder has 80+ track days in a span of 2 years and it hasn't skipped a heart beat.

Agree that the z/28 in the right hands will destroy a boxster on track. Whether or not anyone around here manages to do that with the car remains to be seen.

How much you bought your boxster spyder out of curiosity? Mike
$64k. I don't plan on ever selling the car. I find it to be that special to me. It's not just about lap times.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Then Y the bitching? Savy likes the car much like u like yours. Where are u going with this? Defending Porsche lore? And why make that gauntlet that your spyder will outlast the camaro. U making a challenge? You know where that goes- nothing happens. Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

And mind u stop breathing the Porsche koolaid. Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 01:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

About the temps, on this track that day my car ran hotter then I have ever seen. I backed out one session and not the last session but it was hard on the car, high on Sunday was about 108F I think and there was a LOT of full throttle for an air cooler.

My guess is the Z28 is so fast it won't see full throttle for very long.
Still unproven, early adopters like Savyboy will report in.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Then Y the bitching? Savy likes the car much like u like yours. Where are u going with this? Defending Porsche lore? And why make that gauntlet that your spyder will outlast the camaro. U making a challenge? You know where that goes- nothing happens. Mike
And mind u stop breathing the Porsche koolaid. Mike
The only person bitching here is you. Mike, I'm not sure what your deal is, but you love to jump down people's throats more than I do. Read what I wrote carefully. I don't hold ANY brand on a pedestal. They ALL have problems. If I don't think someone is being objective, I'll point it out. Fair and simple.

I NEVER said that the spyder would outlast the camaro. You're the one that made a 'guantlet'. Not me. YOU SAID that the camaro would probably outlast the spyder, so I asked you for an OBJECTIVE reason why that would be. Think about it, and go back and read my words with untinted troll glasses. I don't think one can fairly say that z/28 has no issues with heat based on the information that has been posted. I said the JURY IS STILL OUT. That means, it could still go either way. How that equates to being a bitching Porsche koolaid drinker is beyond me, so please explain.

Porsche has their fair share of problems too. I've never denied that, and I never will. I make a conscious effort to be as objective as I can when it comes to talking about any of these cars.

Last edited by orthojoe; 06-10-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
About the temps, on this track that day my car ran hotter then I have ever seen. I backed out one session and not the last session but it was hard on the car, high on Sunday was about 108F I think and there was a LOT of full throttle for an air cooler.
Florida doesn't see temps like that? That makes me feel better about running away from Thill during the summer time and I'm not such a wus. LOL

Still unproven, early adopters like Savyboy will report in.
You are correct. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate savyboy's reports and find them very interesting. I was seriously considering a z/28 at one point. I just wanted to point out something that I felt was worthwhile to discuss. Opposing viewpoints and arguments are welcome.

Quick Reply: The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading