Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3/RS Overpriced?? Is anyone actually paying the premium?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy
Its debatable if we are in a bubble or not. I have read extensively about this and my conclusion is that we are experiencing the onset of a new paradigm.
Just curious how you concluded this "new paradigm" differs from those that ended in 2001 and 2008?
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
The 9a1 may be raced by some people - but not by Porsche Motorsport. The Cayenne engine was raced too.
Is there an echo in here?
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just curious how you concluded this "new paradigm" differs from those that ended in 2001 and 2008?
This time is different.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like bubbles

the soapy kind as well as the financial sort
Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, good question.

What is different now vs then:

What is different in the US economy, the global demand for luxury items, the omnipresent threat of rising rates and inflation (what impact does inflation have on 'assets'), how are the US and global demographics different, how are the sociographics different now vs then, are cars being purchased now using borrowed money or no borrowed money? etc.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, can just wonder what the rate of return, internal and otherwise, would be for someone who overpays for a GT3 at the Stealership after the bubble pops using borrowed money at current rates? Will figure that one out after the floor has fell out, everyone is perfectly happy with their swapped and newer 3's and idiots are paying $50K premiums on the new RSs VW will tell Porsche to over-produce like they did the last one.

Remember, no sunroof, no wart!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:12 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Having spent some time researching this topic...an interesting question remains unanswered.

What caused the housing bubble to pop?

There is no real reason why it popped other than homeowners stopped believing..and then stopped making their payments. If you have no equity because you bought with no money down and you no longer believe your home will appreciate.. history has shown us that its easy for someone to simply walk away.

Are 'collector cars' being financed or bought with cash?

Cash.

Folks think about things differently when its their money vs borrowed.

Last edited by VegasSpeedy; 05-19-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 205 Posts

Having spent some time researching this topic...an interesting question remains unanswered. What caused the housing bubble to pop? There is no real reason why it popped other than homeowners stopped believing..and then stopped making their payments. If you have no equity because you bought with no money down and you no longer believe your home will appreciate.. history has shown us that its easy for someone to simply walk away. Are 'collector cars' being financed or bought with cash? Cash. Folks think about things differently when its their money vs borrowed.
Funny thing, as I was looking for my GT3, I came across several cars that surprisingly had a loan/lien reported on them. I guess it's a different world when borrowing is cheap.

Last edited by ranger22; 05-19-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 PM
maomao911
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

last two GT3s I bought all had loans on them...
Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maomao911
last two GT3s I bought all had loans on them...
+1 .... money is free when i was looking for a car ... 1.7% interest ? ugh.... i can get a much higher return with MY cash. So i got a loan... cheap money for those whom have credit.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 AM
Nis1973
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I did it...

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
I understand that the new GT3 is only coming in PDK but is it really necessary to jack up the prices on these cars? I traded my 997.2 GT3 last year for a 6 speed manual Valentino Balboni Gallardo. Great car but I missed the GT3 and overall I think I made a mistake. Ended up selling the Gallardo and have the money sitting in the bank to go toward the next toy. I ordered a 991 GT3 in the beginning of 2013 so I'm eager to get this, but with all the BS that's happened to them I am going nuts in the meantime waiting for a new car. My car was supposed to be completed in my possession by the beginning of June and it has been postponed until Nov/Dec and I am receiving a 2015 model.

Regardless, I have been looking for a car to drive in the meantime and I keep going back to another 997.2 GT3/RS but will not pay 120k for a GT3 or 160k for an RS (with over 10k miles). Can anyone actually show me proof of someone paying these ridiculous prices!? I have seen the same cars on eBay and autotrader for MONTHS and they aren't selling for whats being asked. Does anyone else feel my frustration? I realize its rare and its the last of the 6M Gt3 but does this REALLY justify the 10/20% price increase??? last year I could get a .2 RS for 130 and a .2 GT3 for 100 and when I make these offers on the cars I inquire I get laughed at. C'mon....

I just want to hear from someone who has an intelligent and objective stand point that has something more to say than "last of the 6spd, get f**ked"

Well, I'm one of those who actually paid a steamy price for a 2011 gt3 rs. I did pay 169k for a 2011gt3 rs. It has 4,200 miles, virtually no over-revs, ceramic brakes and front axle lifter (like having ceramic brakes and absolutely need the lifter). It came with a new set of tires (original still in decent shape), spare front lip and a few other things so the real price of the car itself was a bit below 169k. I knew I was overpaying a bit but i was ok with it because:

1. It was the car I wanted both in terms of options and color. I was willing to pay a bit of a premium to get what i wanted. Red wheels and decals aren't my thing and that limited my options a lot. Blacklabel here on RL had (and may still have) a white/black 2010 that I thought was great and well priced but it didn't have the carbon seats and that was a deal breaker for me. Awesome car otherwise!

2. I had the benefit or drawback of not knowing where RS's traded last year. Rather than thinking of how much higher they are than last year I was thinking of how much a RS is worth to me today. I felt that at 4,200 miles I was basically getting a new car and was paying what I'd pay for a comparable new Porsche. To me it was the way to go because I just do not like new Porsches. It's purely subjective but to me they look too big and bloated, more of a GT rather than a sports car. I also find the interior is too fancy and flashy. And yes, I do want a manual, not for investment but personal reasons. I've just never owned a non-manual car. So i figured I paid a new car price and if worse comes to worse it will experience the depreciation of a new car. Since manual transmission cars are going to be harder to get in the future I don't plan to sell so it doesn't matter all that much anyways.

Now, I do think there are a lots of signs of a bubble in the car world. The gt3rs might be a part of it but if it is I think it's far from being the worst offender. It may take a hit but there is something to be said about not letting life pass by while timing the market. I guess I just really wanted one...
Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Nis,
It's refreshing to learn about how you "sliced through all the BS." Good for you! You now have a true gem.

Drive it in good health.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 AM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Dude, congrats. I am sincerely happy for you. My previous cars:
1) 2011 Lambo 570-4 SL
2) 2009 Scuderia
3) 2007 Lambo Gallardo Spyder
4) 2010 California
5) 2009 Porsche 997.2 S Cab
and a few more.....NONE were as incredible (to me) as our 997.2RS. In all areas that matter the RS is a more compelling car. Now, add to this the dramatic and painful depreciation from those cars...egad.

Your financial downside risk (if you care) is minimal. The market has spoken and these are now considered collectibles. You probably have what I like to call a 'guilt free' car. Would cost you a dime to own, insure and fix assuming you aren't a dirt track racer.

I am guilty as anyone thinking too much about values. I am getting bored of my own thinking! Simple fact is we are all stupid lucky and blessed to be alive doing well enough to own a GT3/ RS.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Dude, Simple fact is we are all stupid lucky and blessed to be alive doing well enough to own a GT3/ RS.
Well said
Old 05-20-2014, 01:04 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

What caused the housing bubble to pop? There is no real reason why it popped other than homeowners stopped believing..and then stopped making their payments.
Stop believing in what? Hello. People were given loans who didn't make their first payment. lol

Quick Reply: 997 GT3/RS Overpriced?? Is anyone actually paying the premium?