Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.1 GT3 street camber settings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .1 GT3 street camber settings?

I bought my car about a month ago and the previous owner put MPSS on it...how long they were on there i have no clue...i put 800 miles on them and finally got the car up on the lift last week and had cords showing on the very inside of the tires in the rear only..the front was wearing fine.

with the MPSS being backed ordered until May i went with the R-S3's version 1 all 4 corners and i have to say i love them and have so much more grip, ride better and quieter then the MPSS.

I put the car on my Alignment machine saturday and oh my god was this car out of alignment... the camber was way out the toe not so much
LF -2.8 RF -2.2
LR -2.7 RR -2.4

The car has been lowered a little and corner balanced by the previous owner but had a string alignment performed...

Not wanting to change the height of the car and the corner balancing i just performed a alignment... i was able to get the camber in the rear to
LR -2.1 RR -2.1
I have Rennline rear upper arms and rear toe arms ordered to be able to adjust these more and get them into spec

The front i only brought the LF camber out to meet the RF
LF -2.2 RF-2.2

The car drives and handles so much better with these camber settings!

I have searched and have not been able to find anything....this is a street driven car and i drive my cars hard on the street.

What are the recommend settings you guys are running on the street or maybe i should ask how much negative camber is everybody running on the street without eating up the tires?

I see on my alignment machine the max negative camber to keep it in the green is -1.6 i believe for each front and rear tire..i would have to look at my print out again to make sure..unfortunately that is in my tool box at work currently.

I don't want to eat up brand new tires and waste them. I understand this tire is not going to last that long but i should be able to get 3 years or a little more out of the tires with me driving less then 5K on year.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean about those tires not lasting too much longer? They are already corded. I would not drive on those. 15K miles on rear tires on this car would be well above my expectation. I plan on 10K.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

these are the MPSS i replaced...I put brand new R-S3's on the car last thursday and aligned the car saturday...this picture was taken last Monday on my lift.

when i said this tire ..meaning the R-S3 will not last as long as the MPSS ..tread wear on the R-S3 is 200
tread wear on the MPSS is 300
Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,249 Posts

You might want to be under 2 degrees (maybe 1.6-1.8 if you are gonig to drive on the street).
Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MikejGT3
...i drive my cars hard on the street ... i should be able to get 3 years or a little more out of the tires with me driving less then 5K on year.
This is an unrealistic expectation. I agree with surlynkid. 10K is about right, and sometimes it's less.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Thork'sGT3
Instructor

It has been my experience that though negative camber will wear the inside of the tire more than if there was very little negative camber, however this is negligable. Toe settings are by far more damaging. I have always set my alignment with a Smart Racing string alignment tool and have never had issues with poor tire wear. Specs that I would use for the street could be:
front -1.5 L & R camber ( -2 is fine)
zero toe
rear - 2.0 L & R
1mm of toe in L & R exactly even.
As an example I was too lazy after 5 days at ORP and Miller last year. Drove 3000km with -3 degrees camber in the front and - 2.6 in the rear and 1.0 mm toe in per side in the rear with no bad effects on tread wear at all.
These cars inherently will wear the inside on the rears quicker. Don't hesitate to swap left to right. No sense is wasting good rubber.

Hope this helps

Brent
Old 04-23-2014, 10:51 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

thanks guys for the replies.....i agree about the toe wearing the tires more then camber....the Toe was actually in on the RR but was a little out on the LR. I plan on not running no more then -2.0 degrees of camber that would be no more then a 1/2 of degree camber more then what the OEM specs are.

Im still waiting for my Rennline rear upper arms and Toe Arms to come in so i can realign the car.

I will definitely keep a eye out on the rear tires and when they start to show more wear on the inside of the tire then the rest of the tire i will flip the tire on the rim and move it to the other side of the car.

Thanks again for the replies i really appreciate the info!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 533 Posts

I ran a set of MPSS with something like -2 F and -1.8 rear camber with 0 toe front and about .26 total rear toe and had over 17k miles on them when I sold the car. There was still plenty of tread left.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

.26 total on the rear.... i remember when i set the toe saturday i set it to .21 each side....

so are you guys running more Toe in on the rear to get less rear steering?

Quick Reply: .1 GT3 street camber settings?