Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thunderhill in NorCal finally got me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow: I had to choose an avatar with me in P1...

Mooty: Let's get you in that booth!

Aussie: Appreciate the reaching out. But, who the heck knows anymore?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,081 Posts

I metered a few cars while at BW this weekend. I think it is impossible to replicate the technique at the track in order to compare what you'll get tagged for at another location. Example, USCs track pipe (small resonator) from Fabspeed was metering in the mid 80's at about 50ft from the track, from about 20ft off the ground (2nd floor tower). There was an open exhaust (no mufflers, cats) that was metering at almost 110 db.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 AM
medpilot105
Instructor

I agree with you, Spyrex. Lots of variables at play.

Alex and the Sharkwerks gang have me setup with their deflector tips so, I'm going to give that a go. I'll try again without and run it "undeflected" like I have the past year. But, if they bust me again, I'll attach the deflectors and then go from there.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:40 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thunderhill sound meter not accurate - fix on the way!

Hey Guys

I have heard many reports for the past couple months thata Thunderhill has been flagging people for sound exceeding 103 db when they had no issue in the past. People also got flagged for sound at one session but not other - which points to possible faulty sound meter. I communicated my concern with Thunderhill CEO David Vodden and sure enough they found an issue with their sound meter and it was off by 3-4 db. Here is what David said:

"Thanks for sharing your concerns with me Mike. We have been trying some new things lately in the area of sound to build goodwill and friendship with our neighbors and, thanks to your inquiry and to some help from SCCA sound this weekend, we think we found a problem. The sound meter, although calibrated several times, was off at least 3 to 4 dbs. The unanswered question is why and when did the apparent inability to rely on the morning calibration start.

We have a number of avenues to pursue including a new meter as well as having the one in question analyzed to see what went wrong for future reference.

Please stay tuned but also tell anyone who will listen that we found a problem and it is real and we are “on it” and will act and make it better."

David has been great at dealing with issues that come up at Thunderhill to make sure his customers - us - are treated well and feel welcome and not be put off like other less friendly track such as Laguna Seca.

My recommendation for those of you that plan on running Thunderhill in the future not worry too much about sound - as long as your car had good track record not exceeding 103 db in the past. If you get flagged with sound, please mention your car's previous sound history at Thunderhill to the sound marshal and they should work with you to look into the matter. If not, you can always speak with management staff in the main building and I am sure they will be happy to help.

Last edited by mikymu; 04-17-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Default Son of a b!tch!!

Good job, Mikymu. Thanks for the work and posting it here. I may keep my leaf blower for my exhaust just a precautionary measure.

Grrrrrrr....
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medpilot105
Good job, Mikymu. Thanks for the work and posting it here. I may keep my leaf blower for my exhaust just a precautionary measure.

Grrrrrrr....
Sure thing

it's always good to have the leaf blower as back up for Thunderhill just in case
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikymu
My recommendation for those of you that plan on running Thunderhill in the future not worry too much about sound - as long as your car had good track record not exceeding 103 db in the past. If you get flagged with sound, please mention your car's previous sound history at Thunderhill to the sound marshal and they should work with you to look into the matter. If not, you can always speak with management staff in the main building and I am sure they will be happy to help.
Thanks for that update Mike. Although sucks for those caught by the defective meter, that's really good news on the whole. I was really concerned we were tipping over the edge of losing TH too.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Thanks for that update Mike. Although sucks for those caught by the defective meter, that's really good news on the whole. I was really concerned we were tipping over the edge of losing TH too.
I know, I don't even bother with Laguna Seca now days - they do not care about the "small fry" and stick it to us with their ridiculous sound restriction. David at Thunderhill onthe other hand has been fantastic and very good about getting back to his customers with their concerns. When I mention the dangerous dip off T8 couple years ago that claimed several cars when they go off track the depression was promptly filled. As long as we have legitimate concerns with constructive feedback David is all ears
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Race Director

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
I know, I don't even bother with Laguna Seca now days - they do not care about the "small fry" and stick it to us with their ridiculous sound restriction. David at Thunderhill onthe other hand has been fantastic and very good about getting back to his customers with their concerns. When I mention the dangerous dip off T8 couple years ago that claimed several cars when they go off track the depression was promptly filled. As long as we have legitimate concerns with constructive feedback David is all ears
Ask David to bump up the sound limit to 110db if not then maybe 105/106db.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Ask David to bump up the sound limit to 110db if not then maybe 105/106db.
will do
Old 04-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent work, mikymu. Extremely helpful, sir. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slowandsteady
Excellent work, mikymu. Extremely helpful, sir. Thank you.
any time

Cheers
Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are a good man mikymu! thanks for taking your time to help out
Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kormaster
you are a good man mikymu! thanks for taking your time to help out
sure thing. this is what we want to avoid ...

Old 04-19-2014, 02:58 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 448 Likes on 290 Posts

As far as I'm aware, no DB limit at Chuckwalla. Ha, 8 miles out of town at T-Hill? Chuckwalla is in the most aptly named place: Desert Center:
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Thunderhill in NorCal finally got me...