Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stalking a 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stalking a 911 GT3

I know forum manners are to search and read, and I've done so, but I am trying to consolidate all the info/questions I now have at hand. I've got what I think is the 80% done, so I think I am trying to fill the last 20% which is very hard to do.

I am interested in a 911 GT3 and have been hovering around the years 2005-2009 and whittling down the assorted cars based on price, mileage, etc.

This car will be 100% pure excess, and will see an occasional track day. It will be treated as a super car. Quite frankly, I am Ferrari guy first, but I am a road racing fan, so the GT3 calls my name quite loudly.

My daily commuter is an M3. I have a Celica GTS for SCCA events.

IN SHORT: Can someone speak to the top things to know about the GT3... or things to run from, things that are musts, etc? Do all GT3 units have ceramic brakes? Are they all flaunting the same equipment as part of the GT3 package, or are their additional GT3 goodies that some cars don't have? What are the most likely things to fail... and what are the first expensive maintenance items I should bank some cash for?

Any help would be appreciated. I will get a PPI, but I know when diving into a brand that is new to me, I should ask questions to help limit my pain, expense and make my searching more efficient.

THANK YOU
Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully a good starting point from Sharkwerks:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ion-guide.html
Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philster
Do all GT3 units have ceramic brakes?

THANK YOU
No. The steel brakes were standard, ceramics were optional.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Most GT3 owners I know, including myself are very passionate about this car. For many it is not their first foray into 911 ownership. From the tone and content of your post, it sounds like you are seeking to acquire a new play-thing. To many of us a GT3 is not an "excess" to be "treated as another super car".
The model years you mention represent a vehicle which is a very precise instrument which in the wrong hands can have devastating consequences. If you must have a Porsche you are well advised to consider a 911 Turbo or start with a 911 Carrera to get accustomed to a rear engine sports car. These modern 911's have driver aids that help make the rear engine learning curve safer, and more accessible.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's a link to a comparison test of the various (non-RS) GT3 versions that you may find helpful.

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...roup_test.html
Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Your search for a 2005-2009 is actually going to be for a 2007-2008. That was the 997.1 model generation.
The 2010+ is the 997.2 model generation.

I assume you have decided on the 997.1 series based on price point.
They are indeed great cars for the money.
The 997.2 series being newer are more expensive but are also slightly better again due to larger brakes and a little more horse power etc.

All the generations offered PCCB carbon brakes as an option.
All the generations also offered a RS version which offered wider bodies and more aero etc…

PPI should weed out any bad apples.
For the most part these cars are reliable and can take a pounding.
Oil, brakes and tires. Thats it.

The early GT3 has been known to suffer from minor oil leaks while later GT3 have been known to suffer from internal failures that are commonly picked up already under recall/TSB, and/or warranty. Nothing to really worry about at this point. But take note.

Hunt a car with the color you desire and the miles you hope for and have fun.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:01 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

A note on my comment about "excess" and this is a "super car" to me are the ultimate signs of respect, KurtF. (It's me saying that this car isn't a commuter; I understand what it is in terms of performance, commitment and learning curve, not to mention investment, cash in reserve and the reality of a race car that is street legal).

I am passionate about motor sports and road racing, and the ultimate respect falls to the legends. I've driven more HP around a track in a F/R config, but a 400+ HP rear engine car I have not. I've driven older, lift-throttle over-steering, heart sinking 911's.

My budget includes all but the newest GT3's and they are less desirable to me. Again, I consider the lighter nanny versions over heavy nanny version when considering my driving enjoyment and collector value.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Define less nanny version. I wish I could have my cake and eat it too. Gives everyone a better idea what u want. How many trackdays- 1-2 year? 997 has nannies but they can be turned off so do u mean u don't want any nannies? Mike
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Philster, I meant no disrespect. You asked for opinions and here is what I know.

1. Regardless of means, for most of us owners a GT3 was not our first 911. I believe most here would agree that a prerequisite to a GT3 purchase would be a fair amount of seat time in a modern 911.
2. The car works fine as a road car, but even coming close to it's potential on a public road is insane.
3. On the track where you can explore the cars capabilities, unless you are very skilled and experienced you may soon be writing checks you are not be able to cash if something goes wrong.
In this regard the car is narrow focused. It is also a handful being a RR drive, rear engine car with 400+ HP.
That being said I love it and it is a brilliant car. Nothing else like it. Best of luck to you in the Porsche universe, Ferrari guy!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:14 AM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
Here's a link to a comparison test of the various (non-RS) GT3 versions that you may find helpful. http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...roup_test.html
Required reading for anyone considering a GT3.

For someone new to Porsche and considering a GT3 I'd highly recommend at least test driving (or buying) 997 C2 (or C2S) 1st. It is a brilliant car. Standard PSM that isn't present in the 2007-2008 997.1 GT3 is a nice feature especially during the 1st year of ownership. The 2 years I had mine was an enjoyable and valuable learning experience both on the road and track.

If a friend told me he wanted to skip the standard 911 and jump straight into a 997 GT3 I'd recommend the 997.2 (2010-2011) so he'd have PSM available while getting acquainted with the car.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Guys, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. There's no way to understand all the nuances without this type of input.

Of course, I devoured the link to EVO comparing the generations and how they changed on paper and how that affected the real-world feel over the years.

I do have seat time in a 911 and, to an almost irrelevant degree, a Boxster, too. I know the horror of what I call snap oversteer... and quite frankly, I am alive because I got lucky, but chose to find the limits in places where living was a possibility! Pretty scary when one millisecond the rear is planted and the next millisecond it's 180 degrees from where it was. Warning signs? Nah... the driver don't need no stinking warning signs!

Funny side note: I had a front-wheel drive car that was prone to snap oversteer (YES...really): 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. That car would never push... never understeer. It would stick til your side hurt from pressing against the bolster... as nuetral as possible for a car to handle. No brand of tire would ever make a peep. It never wiggled.... flat.... nuetral..... BAM! She's gone.... tail out and around. Your driving line? Hah... irrelevant.

By coming out of the gate and speaking right to that fact that I don't like all the electronics/nanny stuff that seems to have crept into the 997, and saying I seem to prefer the 996, I just wanted to make an impression on the fact that this car is being purchased to impress NO ONE but me. Driving experience is priority numero uno.

Track: I am 46 and the daily roads are completely incapable of supporting the level of adrenaline I require, and only a track will do. I live near a brand new pair of great tracks with track days and plenty of events. I want to get into some clubs that do friendly ralleys/gatherings... and if the GT3 is on road, it's going to the track or a special event... or something exceptional and special.

That being said, the feedback here has me leaning towards 997... and the EVO piece was great, too. I will re-read it.

I'm not a casual "Hey I want a 911!!l" guy and actually talked other people out of buying them and brokered a few deals to slide people into Boxsters and even things like the BMW Z models. My uncle for years would tell me he wanted a 911. He never explained better than this: "I just always wanted one.". He starts looking at Carreras, etc. He didn't know anything about cars. There wasn't one thing I could talk to him about. He drives a older BMW Z thanks to me.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

2004-2005 996 GT3 - Antilock Brake System (ABS)

2007-2008 997 GT3 and GT3 RS - ABS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), traction control (TC)

997 GT3... in your case, why pay for 'nanny' stuff you aren't going to use? Plus it is more stuff to break.

Last edited by enthusiast; 02-15-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Answering a question up thread: I imagine a half dozen serious track days per year. I have to be realistic. Sort of like owning high-performance offshore boat: You think you're gonna use it a whole lot more than life allows. Although for the car, it will get more than track days since they're far and few between and a car needs a road and not much else.

Guess the 996 / 997 debate will have to go on in my brain now... as I've heard convincing points for both, but this aversion to techno stuff and my belief it's the cars lacking too much of it that will prevail in value over the long haul... but then there is the 997's ability to disable the electronics, and it seems to be called the last organic generation.... so I have to consider that the 997 might be more desirable long-term as the last of a breed (whether it is or isn't.)

Blah blah blah... I will mull it over.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up I've narrowed it down

997 is the winner after exhaustive searches and cost comparisons.

I am going to whittle it down to the newest 997 variant I can find, IF the price comes in under budget, but I am probably looking at a 997.1 (?) and not a 997.2 (?). 2007/2008 I can find/afford. Newer I cannot.

996: Sooooo tempting. Everything more and more spartan and less of a modern gizmo car. I can 'feel it'.. but the problem is they are too close in price to 997's. If their price point was a big jump down, I could bank the cash and enjoy the hell out of a 996 and some tuner stuff.

I will get out to see a few over the next few weeks. QUESTION: some have roll bars and some don't, from what I could tell. Was that an option or aftermarket add-on?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ all roll bar in gt3 in usa are added after the fact.
some had oem tequipment bar, some had oem club sport bar, some had other aftermkt stuff (there are MANY MANY variations of them)

6 and 7.1 are $20,000 apart, everything being same.

Quick Reply: Stalking a 911 GT3