gt3 truck and trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Do the ROI, might change your mind! :-)
The biggest issue is SPACE....where to store the SUV and the trailer. Plus the only times that I would drive the SUV would be when I trailer the car to the track. Since I can't have the SUV as a daily driver, it doesn't make sense financially.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am finding that lots of stuff in this hobby does not make sense financially :-)

Said from my dually with mooty 36 foot GN
Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Track side AC and big awning sounds amazing - bet you can get keg installed as well
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM
doppelganger
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will most likely become addicted to the going to the track like most of us. 20ft trailers are just not big enough. You will find yourself always needing more space. Go 24 at min. I had a 20, then went to a 24...then a 30ft goose neck. Now I am happy. We do endurance racing, schools, etc. We fill the 30 every time. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ this

I did fl open
24 foot tag mooty trailer
36 foot GN mooty trailer
Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by bitr365
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting a suv and an enclosed trailer to take the gt3 to the track. I would like to avoid getting something as big as an F250, but still have the peace of mind that I can pull an enclosed trailer with my car and gear. I'm guessing this combo is about 6k lbs. Can some of you gives some recs for an suv and a trailer size?
If you're not racing (just DE), open Trailex is perfect and all you need. Plus flexible in terms of towing vehicle. I have a Trailex but find myself not bothering to tow at all more often than not. Too much hassle. But Limerock is in my backyard, too. For 2+ hrs distance, I tow.

If you start racing and want to be competitive (why race otherwise?) arrive & drive keeps things light and efficient. At most, you'll pay a 10% premium over what it would cost you to race the equivalent car if it was your own, with huge savings in time/hassle.

Ownership is overrated. Keep things light and liquid.

My $0.02.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
If you're not racing (just DE), open Trailex is perfect and all you need. Plus flexible in terms of towing vehicle. I have a Trailex but find myself not bothering to tow at all more often than not. Too much hassle. But Limerock is in my backyard, too. For 2+ hrs distance, I tow.

If you start racing and want to be competitive (why race otherwise?) arrive & drive keeps things light and efficient. At most, you'll pay a 10% premium over what it would cost you to race the equivalent car if it was your own, with huge savings in time/hassle.

My $0.02.
Unless you like toys....
Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Track side AC and big awning sounds amazing - bet you can get keg installed as well
I think TRAKCAR has a big beer fridge in his. Chromium def set his up sweet, track palace.

Our tracks here are far, closest is 2 hours (not including AAA in Fontucky), better ones 3+. I put quite a few miles on the car getting to track, have to account for that cost or paying shop to trailer. Storage outside for open trailer is cheap. Needed a daily anyway so swapped bmw for cayenne. MRC is about break even for me, and I figure decrease in wear and tear on RS worth it, plus cushy drive back home after events. We'll see how this all works out, I'm sort of a minimalist and don't like lots of "stuff" so I hope to keep it simple. But man that AC/awning is nice!!!!

That said.....
I just got a featherlite open.
I'm taking offers on it, even though I haven't towed to track yet.
Because according to the crack dealer I'll be ordering a 24' soon
But that one is for sale too, 'presale' as they say in real estate
Because I'll be getting a 36-40 footer
Oh yeah, anyone want a cayenne diesel? LOL I need a 1ton dually.
:-)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

I think TRAKCAR has a big beer fridge in his. Chromium def set his up sweet, track palace.

Our tracks here are far, closest is 2 hours (not including AAA in Fontucky), better ones 3+. I put quite a few miles on the car getting to track, have to account for that cost or paying shop to trailer. Storage outside for open trailer is cheap. Needed a daily anyway so swapped bmw for cayenne. MRC is about break even for me, and I figure decrease in wear and tear on RS worth it, plus cushy drive back home after events. We'll see how this all works out, I'm sort of a minimalist and don't like lots of "stuff" so I hope to keep it simple. But man that AC/awning is nice!!!!

That said.....
Nice - I like the immediate step-up.

I've started browsing trailers online - likely its a bonus gift for me so not till spring - full-service trailer sounds awesome.

Might go for 32 and have shower + bathroom + mini bedroom in it.

Midday naps track-side oh man
Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

That said.....
Get the 40 footer...that way I can pay you to trailer my car to the track (Arrive & Drive) and everyone wins.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1

My $0.02.
I used to drive to the track and then found out that my shop does track support so for those weekends that they do track support have them do Arrive & Drive for me. Easy in, easy go with no mess and no fuss.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Nice - I like the immediate step-up.

I've started browsing trailers online - likely its a bonus gift for me so not till spring - full-service trailer sounds awesome.

Might go for 32 and have shower + bathroom + mini bedroom in it.

Midday naps track-side oh man
showever and bath, you will need RV service before each tow
extra work
just get sleep quarter
Old 08-15-2014, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
I am finding that lots of stuff in this hobby does not make sense financially :-)

Said from my dually with mooty 36 foot GN
hahahaha.

most AC are too small to work right. a 24' needs two AC units.
6000 watt generator. my 3000 watt honda not enough juice

Originally Posted by doppelganger
You will most likely become addicted to the going to the track like most of us. 20ft trailers are just not big enough. You will find yourself always needing more space. Go 24 at min. I had a 20, then went to a 24...then a 30ft goose neck. Now I am happy. We do endurance racing, schools, etc. We fill the 30 every time. Good luck!
spoken by someone who made the same mistake i had
open
all in 3 years

yes, i learn very slowly....

@pj. i think legally our truck can only tow 48'. i think i am getting one. and this one will only carry my own car. just one. then mia and max's garbage. the first time i used the 36', it was too small. max had to leave some of his stuff on the driveway and he was not happy that i ddn't bring his tricycle.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

My $0.02.
Arrive and Drive is way more than 10%

It's at least 10% to have someone do your ends and outs as a crew guy. That's what I've started doing as I don't have time anymore to prep the car and I don't want to mess with it once I'm at the track so I have ppl do it for me.. But in my own car.

Back to the OP. I think 28' is a great size. If you are doing DE then you may get away with 22' but even with that you need at least a 1/2 ton proper vehicle SUV, etc. As PJ said on one of the first posts it has a lot to do with wheel base and overall size of the tow vehicle for stability.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:49 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Arrive and Drive is way more than 10%

It's at least 10% to have someone do your ends and outs as a crew guy. That's what I've started doing as I don't have time anymore to prep the car and I don't want to mess with it once I'm at the track so I have ppl do it for me.. But in my own car.
I was talking about renting + arrive & drive, and including ALL costs (pre/post-race prep, consumables, etc.). Larger shops have economies of scale (the crew is already there), and those get even bigger with a&d race series like Bertil Roos or Skip Barber which also get wholesale/sponsorship deals on parts + consumables. If you're in the loop and time things right, you could even get into a rented race seat for less $ than it would cost you to prep & run your own car. Other benefits are, of course: (1) savings in time, hassle and (2) chance to race many more cars at many more tracks -- great for improving race-craft. I've been racing since 2009 without ever owning a race car of my own.

Quick Reply: gt3 truck and trailer question