Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

CPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
drkm3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CPO

I am the original owner of 10 gt3rs. Is it possible to get my car CPOed? If so, what is the cost?
TIA.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, go to the dealer and ask them. They'll do an inspection first and any issues will need to be brought up to spec if they aren't already (tires, brakes, scheduled maintenance, etc). Those costs will come out of your pocket before the CPO can be added on. I heard $3k for CPO.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you certain that's an actual CPO though? I was under the impression that the dealer had to own the car to CPO it.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The dealer would have to buy the car from you, inspect it, do any work that will be required to make it CPO eligible, CPO it, then sell it back to you as a pre-owned car.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
The dealer would have to buy the car from you, inspect it, do any work that will be required to make it CPO eligible, CPO it, then sell it back to you as a pre-owned car.
This.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
This.
+1 Of corse, anything is negotiable
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Yes. I asked my dealer yesterday on this for my RS. He said the same thing. He did say some dealers have issued them without doing this, but when there is an issue Porsche will deny it. Dealer on the hook for the repair at that point. And dealers getting in trouble issuing CPOs without doing the above.

Generally not worth it when you factor in $3k for 2 year CPO, plus cost of any work, plus repaying all the taxes again when you buy the car back from the dealer as a preowned CPO.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
plus repaying all the taxes again when you buy the car back from the dealer as a preowned CPO.
couldn't you work it as a trade with almost zero delta in sales price thus almost zero in taxes?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ca people can't do this or I would trade cars every 6 months. I heard other states, law allows you to only pay tax in the difference of trade in. So lucky!

CPO sounds nice but only for two years. If the car comes w it great. But if you have to go through trouble and costing you 3k plus who other unknown fix cost, then I don't think it is great.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
ca people can't do this or I would trade cars every 6 months. I heard other states, law allows you to only pay tax in the difference of trade in. So lucky!
Texas only taxes you 6.25% on the net of the trade, but the dealer usually screws you so bad on the trade that an outright individual sale for more money just becomes a wash on the taxes. It just depends on the specific deal. Since TX has no state income tax, we also get to write off that auto sales tax on our 1040, but that also ends in 2014. it was a nice write off while it lasted.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

CPO sounds nice but only for two years. If the car comes w it great. But if you have to go through trouble and costing you 3k plus who other unknown fix cost, then I don't think it is great.
My first repair was more than enough to justify....I think CPO is worth it on a GT3 or RS.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

ca people can't do this or I would trade cars every 6 months. I heard other states, law allows you to only pay tax in the difference of trade in. So lucky! .
I was trying to figure why so many guys from CA seem to go the private party sale route with GT3's. I thought it was crazy paying all that tax and the work of doing the sale yourself. In NY we just pay tax on the Delta at dealer (but full tax if we go private party sale route). The tax savings encourage high line car sales to rest heavily in the dealer domain in NY.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:49 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We all love CA more right?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Some states don't charge sales tax when you purchase a car from a private party seller (in or out of state)...I'm lucky that I can register my private party car purchases in one of those states.

Back on the CPO topic, the white GT3 that I bought had a CPO for 3 years from the date that I bought it. It was one of the reasons why I bought that car (and paid a little more) versus 2 other ones that I was looking at. The seller of that car bought the car from a CA dealer who had CPO'ed the car.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Kid
I was trying to figure why so many guys from CA seem to go the private party sale route with GT3's. I thought it was crazy paying all that tax and the work of doing the sale yourself. In NY we just pay tax on the Delta at dealer (but full tax if we go private party sale route). The tax savings encourage high line car sales to rest heavily in the dealer domain in NY.
Go CA! We pay the tax either way, on the full selling price of the car, no trade allowance, no deltas, full "use tax" is what they call it, due on registration of the car, in full. And in LA County that amounts to about 9.5%. Even if the car was bought out of state. Going through a dealer makes this worse due to higher (typically) prices and the more accurate sale price reporting. Huh what?

Quick Reply: CPO