Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Transmission Fluid Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid Recommendations?

Which Transmission Fluid would you guys recommend for street-driven track car? (2010 GT3)

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

For street only use.....dealer parts counter for factory fill

For track use.....Mobil Delvac (used to buy it HERE until I found a local distributor for much cheaper)
Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone really having problems with OE Porsche fluid. It does seem like a lot of people choose Redline for track use though.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amsoil severe gear here and all is good
Change it 2-3 times a year (10-15 track days) and it always looks good
Old 09-11-2012, 02:13 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that if you do a search on this topic you will find a wealth of knowledge, probably more than you really need, but there it is just the same.

Good luck

Erik
Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

just changed mine with factory fill @ 8500 miles. (one track day so far). can't hurt to overmaintain...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:22 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

I was talking to a company today that races, two cars and had several customer cars using a new high tech oil mixed with the racing gear oil. Although the main goal was to reduce temperature of the gear box at the track, they are getting 30% more hours on the transmission. Across race cars, and customer cars. The product is for sale, buy it is not been advertised yet. IT IS EXPENSIVE!!! If anyone wants to call the shop, PM me and I will pass the contact info along, I gain nothing from it, I was just hoping to share the info.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Izzone has the most f@cked up gear box, he sould test it to see if there is a difference
Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

So delvec is the one??? About to change for severe track use.....
Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I went to my shop a couple weeks ago and asked them for what they use, they handed me a gallon of Delvac. Said it's what they use in their street/track GT cars and cup cars. Owners came from PMNA.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thankfully with transmission fluid the options are pretty straight forward. If you are tracking delvac should be the default choice. Change it every 8 track days and you are golden. Only drawback is it can be a little notchy until up to temp. Not horrible just not quite as smooth as factory fill.

I'll throw one more option out there. I switched to millers nanotechnology oil this past season and am very happy with it thus far. It has smooth cold characteristics like factory fill when cold yet stands up to track heat as well. Based on their claims if should be good for longer change intervals and may reduce wear prolonging life of the box. I went 12 days on my first fill and it still felt great. Current fill has been in there 4 days and I plan on doing oil analysis this year to determine how long I can safely extend change intervals. It's about 2x as much as delvac so not cheap but not horribly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I turned MVEZ onto this last year hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Thankfully with transmission fluid the options are pretty straight forward. If you are tracking delvac should be the default choice. Change it every 8 track days and you are golden. Only drawback is it can be a little notchy until up to temp. Not horrible just not quite as smooth as factory fill.

I'll throw one more option out there. I switched to millers nanotechnology oil this past season and am very happy with it thus far. It has smooth cold characteristics like factory fill when cold yet stands up to track heat as well. Based on their claims if should be good for longer change intervals and may reduce wear prolonging life of the box. I went 12 days on my first fill and it still felt great. Current fill has been in there 4 days and I plan on doing oil analysis this year to determine how long I can safely extend change intervals. It's about 2x as much as delvac so not cheap but not horribly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I turned MVEZ onto this last year hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts as well.
Yep, I'm on it too. The data and reviews seem to be very favorable in a motorsport application. I have 9 days on mine, and I'm going to do 3 days at VIR then change it to see how it looks with that kind of interval. If I can go 12-15 days with no issues, and perhaps even better wear protection from the nano-tech, then over time it will help offset the cost.

We use the non-LS version, just like Delvac. Definitely smoother on cold starts than Delvac, but handles the heat just as good or better from what I can tell.

Pretty much anything Andy does, I have to do, not giving him any advantages Team Skittles representin....
Old 01-05-2014, 08:36 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

thanks guys
Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

Using factory fill and no track use, what should be the change interval?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDrew
Using factory fill and no track use, what should be the change interval?
96000 miles according to the manual. :-) Personally, the cost is low and will do no harm. If you're only doing a few k miles per year on the street, I'd have it changed every couple years. Maybe on similar schedule to your brake fluid flush. That's probably still overkill but I think the factory recommendation is very long. At a minimum, with the drain it gives your shop an opportunity to check the drain plug magnet and fluid for issues.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Recommendations?