Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anybody here knows about motoryachts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:28 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anybody here knows about motoryachts?

Hi,

I am toying with an idea to get rid of the car and use all that money to get something floating to get around the boston harbor area with my 2 kids, wife and occasional 2-4 guests. Considering the fact i could not get to the track whole season this new hobby idea may have better family oriented potential. Only problem is - i know small to nothing about boats. Quick googling around showed that most 'typical' item to look for for what i have in mind may be a 35-40 ft something like a bayliner or sea ray sundancer or carver 350. No idea, really, anything from $50k to $100k budget no older that 1999 probably would do but what to choose? Ideally it would benice to have sea-doo hookups and some inflatable boat attached to this vessel, but i have no clue if 35ft boats really have such features or if only bigger 50ft+ ones can have it all. But i have no budget for 2000+ 45ft+ boat as it gets into $250k-300k territory.
Also, what is considered 'normal' for new england motoryacht? We would only go from boston to cape cod may be or
Down to maine, along the coast, it is obviosly not a ship to take to bahamas, still, can 35ft boat dare to get out of the inside bay? I saw on forums some people say those modern builds are not designed for any bad weather at all. I did not find any good forums that could cover such primitive questions, so, any references to other resources would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Boat maintaince and fuel costs make cars look very cheap especially in saltwater. Lots of fun lots of expense.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

^^^ Add in storage costs for the winter. My buddy has a 45ft boat, nice, uses it to go to the islands off socal, up and down the coast, fishing, can sleep several. He keeps in in the water all year (socal!), mooring fees alone are something close to $800/mo, and the waiting list is forever for a slip. Hull cleaning, fuel, maintenance, etc. It's not cheap. You may want to head over to one of the yacht clubs and talk to some folks about it and get the real story. My buddy uses his ALL the time, they're serious boaters... if you aren't using it constantly....

If it floats, flies, or f's.... rent.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we live in Seattle and keep the boat in water year round. It is in fresh water and we go through a lock to get to the sound. Covered moorage is about $800 a month for a slip to fit. We need 43 feet. Figure on at least $100/ft a year for upkeep. Our boat is 43 feet 15,500 dry with twin 454.... .75 mile per gallon and marine fuel is about $1.00 a gallon more than pump gas. All that said, it is great family time and when we had teenage girls, they even liked spending time with the parents.
It is like a Vegas vacation.. you will **** money away. but if you have it and want it, get it. There are also partial ownership deals out there. Good place to start to make sure
Try to find a 380 Sundancer with diesel. If you are going to be in bad weather you might consider a Sedan bridge but the price starts climbing quickly.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:00 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Get a diesel trawler. Something like a Grand Banks. That's what I'm eying when I move up to Seattle.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

BOAT
Bring
Out
Another
Thousand.

I love them and grew up on them. Can speak to the area you live other than you'll essentially pay the same as someone in the south and get less usage. So your time should be cherished. As you've mentioned there is not a better family toy than a boat IMO.

As far as brands. Stay away from Bayliner, Rinker.
Sea Ray is Ok
4 Wins and Carver, s Meh.
Formula, Cobalt, are your front runners. Thing about a boat is you get what you pay for and a 3 yr old boat can be **** if not properly taken care of. Look for proper storage. Little to no saltwater (kills a boat). And think about what you want to use it for. 35ft is too large for sporting. Also large for a beginner. I'd suggest 25-30ft as a starter. BUT. It all depends on how you plan to use it.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Boat owner since 1993 here....got way way into it for many years but much less so these days.
You think tracking a car is a pain and expensive...go get a boat and you will change your mind and lose more money than you can imagine.

I have a beautiful clean well maintained fast Fountain 38te I wish I could sell. Stay away from Bayliner by the way.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I had boats from 18-52 feet, mostly salt water and I have run them from the mid-atlantic to Miami. The diesel trawler is a good way to go if you are new to boating. These are cheaper to operate than twin diesel/gas boats. If you have not boated you will likely need a bow thruster, otherwise you will stress out docking the boat, particularly if the boat is above a 30 foot. Do not buy a bayliner or a carver because you will need to give it away and they fall apart faster than you can fix them. If you dont't want a trawler look at a Meridian, now owned and built by Sea Ray is a good boat for the money. (Although they they don't make trawlers.) Also look at Tiara, they build quality boats in all ranges. Look at a used boat and hire a surveyor before buying. Buying a new boat is like burning your money.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

A boat is indeed a great way to spend time with the family and explore the ocean in your area. (And to burn disposable income..)
First thing would be to figure out where you can get decent moorage.
Also would be nice to have winter storage options in advance.

For a first boat 35-40ft is a little big. 25-30ft would be easier to learn on.
For hauling the family within your budget an Express cruiser style boat is typically the norm and most common.
Something with twin engines would be nice if going distance offshore.

Express cruisers are not really new england rough water vessels, but usually folks family hauling are only out on nice days.

For a first time boater in something 30ft+, I would look for a boat that has a "joystick" control that is typically found in newer boats as it is the latest technology. Makes docking and moving around other boats/warfs much easier. A joystick boat will up your budget but worth it in terms of ease of use for a first timer.
Around my area I notice a lot of "Sea Ray" brand boats which are nice express cruisers.
Personally, for your budget I would look for a twin outboard Boston Whaler. They are decent in rough water and "unsinkable".

I recently purchased a 36ft Hinckley because I am am a sucker for teak finishing and I love the performance of the jet stick/drive with carbon hull.
Yarr, the sea is callin'
Attached Images  

Last edited by tcsracing1; 10-28-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:56 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the saying goes..."the two best days of my life were the day i bought my boat and the day i sold it"
Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Gorgeous Hinckley!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep. I hear all of you. It is a usual conflict of theoretical recreational ideas, harsh reality and generic family budget money counting.
I also agree that all those $200k-$300k boats do cost as much for a reason, but, reality is, at this level it has to be a very serious hobby and I am simply not there. So a logic here is to sacrifice some $ but not all in a hope that it will stick for a longer time than one family trip out into a bay. See, I am quite realistic.

A way simpler option perhaps would be to sign up with a Boston yacht club as a member, do some dues and gain access to rental boats, but, it also requires time, so, not sure what path to choose considering whole point is to spend more time WITH family, not AWAY from it. Plus wife is afraid of sail boats, kids are still rather too small to help, yacht club has no motor yachts, obviously, just sailboats, so, it all is kinda not where we would want to be.

So speaking specifically about brands, it looks like Sea Ray is ok, what about Carver? I looked at boattrader.com, found no cobalts, formula yachts 30ft+ are in $200k category, it is too much money to dump on a risky venture.
But I see plenty of various Carvers - what is there to expect from 1999-2002 30-35ft Carver boat?

I was quite surprised to hear that just after 3 years a new modern boat may be a toss, do they really live so little? Also, a boat is supposed to be intended for saltwater, not lakes. What an estimated life expectancy on any 'modern' hulls of Sea Ray, Carver, etc comparable brands would be for north east region? Or will a very first moderately serious northeaster simply smash this fiberglass toy into pieces?

Again, the goal in my mind is to find something in 30-40ft range, years probably 1999-2004 and preferably in price range $60k-$90k, as totally budget I give to it would be max of $120K so I think I need to reserve a usual third for any post-purchase repairs, etc. I hear an idea about trawlers, I saw some for sale already and it probably would be a generally better idea as it would be definitely cheaper but not sure if 'presentation factor' will be enough to sell this idea to my better half as most of those trawlers are plain ugly inside and out especially after you look at the pictures of a relatively modern Carver.

I know some local people who are into all this and have a 45ft sailboat docked at Bahamas full time, just need to figure out how to lure them in for a branch and do some mild interrogation.

Realistically, main intent for a boat I want will be to remain INSIDE of Boston bay area for 99.9% of the time, go in between islands in there, do some sea fishing, 100% recreation in salt water with no trans-Atlantic voyages. What I need to understand here is what would be a best compromise vessel to be able to accomplish such a task, with a reasonable annual budget of, say, $10k-$15k for storage/maintenance/repairs, in salt water. If it all points to $200K+ class of boats for saltwater then it probably closes the issue for me but I just want to understand the limits here and I see plenty of junk sitting in local marinas that does not nearly look like a $60k-$80k boat so I presumed there is some flexibility here and must be some options to choose from. I do not care to impress any peers, so, it is all 100% recreational family fun oriented project.

Safety first, comfort second, lower maintenance costs third, purchase price fourth with spending limit of $100k, 30ft+. What are the best options I do have here to choose from? Sea Ray? What model?

PS. I am aware of things called 'boat show' and we will try to visit one for sure. Still, if we were to be very specific - what would be usual suspects to think of if you find a listing like this one?
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...ncer-102078517

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-28-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:30 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the saying goes..."the two best days of my life were the day i bought my boat and the day i sold it"

+1
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grand Banks is my favorite. I guess the good thing for me, my wife want to get to the destination. At 10 knots it is a while to get to the San Juans from Seattle. We have had our 370SeaRay since new in 1995. 1700 hours on the motors(gas) oil change and tune ups only. Be VERY picky buying used. We love it and since we keep it in downtown Seattle and live in the suburbs, it is our city condo.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd never buy a boat new. Particularly a large boat they have a depreciation that'll make your head spin.

Carvers are not good boats. Not as bad as Bayliner but in the same ball park.
For the size you are looking Cobalt and Formula will be $$$. (I currently have a Cobalt and have 3 other marque's.).
I'd say look for a nice Sea Ray. My comment about only x amount of years is all about how it is cared for,,, the "elements" kill a boat. So too much sun (unprotected), too much salt, (not properly maintained) will drastically accelerate the life of the boat.

Salt Walter is particularly hard on the engine as it is using salt water (corrosive) to cool the engine and salt water sits in the haul, etc. if you can find an inland (fresh water) boat you'll be better off especially since you are looking at boats up to 10yrs old.
All points above are also valid.
For me a Sprt cruiser is the way to go. Sea Ray has lots of models that'll fir the bill for what you may want with your budget.

Quick Reply: Anybody here knows about motoryachts?