Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anybody here knows about motoryachts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 PM
SWO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Grady-Whites - family had a 25G Trophy Pro and a 30' Marlin and I spent my summers in Nantucket Sound. We kept the 30' Marlin in Cataumet (Cape Cod Canal Side), which provided easy access to Buzzards Bay, Nantucket Sound, Martha's Vineyard and Mass Bay. The primary use of the boat was sport fishing, but over the years both saw lots of day trips with the kids, anchored at islands swimming etc. My father did many business deals on the boat while I drove it around tending to the fishing gear. I loved the twin 250 Yamaha 4-strokes on the Marlin, and we had every bit of Raymarine electronics. The Trophy pro had more electronics than the bridge of my first Destroyer.

The 25 foot Trophy Pro (1989) was our first boat and its still in service with friends down in Florida with updated outboards, electronics, and minor trim (teak trim replaced).

We sold the Marlin in 2005 as I transferred out of the area (Navy) and my father didn't want to run it by himself, and living in Mid Cape, it was a 45 min ride down RT28 to the boat during the summer. First boat had been berthed only three miles down the road.

For Cape Cod, the one of the limits will be available Marina berths (docks for you land lubbers). Most had spots from Osterville to Falmouth, but they were reserved for those that purchased a boat/yacht from owners. Don't forget Marion, New Bedford as "near Cape Cod" without the traffic over the bridges. As we did, you will quickly sour of the boat if it is a pain to get to it.

I'd suggest that you look at something trailerable, as that gives you many more options for winter storage, as well as finding a location that works best for you longer term.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
It's a good thing these guys know a lot about Porsches.....

Get on a plane and go to the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. It starts Friday and runs through Monday. They will have low quality junk (Carver) to high quality craftsmanship (Hinckley). Everything from 18ft to 180ft.

One piece of advice....if you are a newbie mariner, stay away from twin engine inboards, generators and complex systems. Keep it simple and try a good quality twin outboard boat first. You will then develop a clearer idea of what you want, what you can afford and what you can manage/operate comfortably. Then, if you like it, you can start to really **** away money.....like me.
This... Contender, Jupiter, whitewater, yellowfin, Seavee.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
It is exactly my concern. OK, I think I will try to stay with the original plan for now, just need to do more research of local marinas, locations and find some local people to talk to.

I think I may reconsider about having boat in Boston harbor in favor of Cape Cod locations but need to understand better local market, prices and amenities. It will take some time.
It would indeed be wise to first find a location that has availabilty and amenities that you desire.
Then worry about finding the "first right boat".

Chances are you may find a boat for sale at the marina you intend to use for moorage. Typically sellers are motivated and as a bonus you may be able to score their boat slip.

My advice is look for a 28-35ft Boston Whaler/Grady White with twin outboards.
If it is not what you want, then any 28-35ft express cruiser with a joystick control and inboard gas engines would be a sound decision and possible for the 100k mark.
I have found that express cruisers built prior to joystick control are just garbage to use around warfs and docking, espcially in strong currents. Unless you are seasoned pro or have a bow thruster it is not an enjoyable experience in select situations, but for the right price you can "live" with it.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 008

This... Contender, Jupiter, whitewater, yellowfin, Seavee.
Indeed. All good boats. The newer Whalers are nice too. The Scouts look pretty good and have decent creature comforts and Intrepids are better than all of the above.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:00 PM
chub2000
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I do 3000 nautical miles per year fishing offshore on my Grady White 330. I was recently caught in 52-58 knot winds and 18ft seas for nine hours in the dark. my Grady got me home safely. No other brand for this guy.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

We've had a lot of Intrepids over the years(probably 5 or 6 going back to when I was a kid). After southeast bought them they slowly receded a bit imo. Still great boats but not as consistent it seems. That being said they would certainly be a great choice for the OP as well. Buddy of mine just took delivery of a 38 Jupiter, that's an extremely impressive CC!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:56 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by chub2000
I do 3000 nautical miles per year fishing offshore on my Grady White 330. I was recently caught in 52-58 knot winds and 18ft seas for nine hours in the dark. my Grady got me home safely. No other brand for this guy.
18 seas 50 knot winds 9 hrs in the dark. Too much good real time reporting weather systems to your avail that was not used. The Coast Guard must love you for that. They refer to these boaters as SMF's.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Lots of boat experience here. I grew up on a boat travelling the Ottawa River, Rideau Canal System, 1000 Islands, Great Lakes and Trent Severn Waterway to Georgian Bay. Don't think that just because it's fresh water doesn't mean there aren't mean storms on the Great Lakes. The smaller bodies of water just means it is harder to avoid the storms once they come up.

After a 21' Sea-Ray (1 year), 25' Sea-Ray (2 years) my parents settled on a 33' aft cabin flybridge produced by a company no longer around and had it docked in the 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence River. Boating was the best thing my parents did and we used it travelling on vacation hundreds of miles from home port.

After my dad passed my mom bought a place in the 1000 Islands and we sold the 33' and bought a 26' Formula day boat. Formula and Cobalt are IMO the two best brands with respect to express cruisers/sport boats. More $$$ though. Our Formula handles big chop all day long because it is relatively heavy and a decent length. It is a great boat. Solid and beautifully made.

A lightly used Sea-Ray Sundancer or wouldn't be a bad move. Lots of them around. Formula PC would be better but more rare. Diesel if you can find one. Lots of boats in Michigan.

Pretty sure Meridian is basically Bayliner Yachts rebranded. More of an inshore boat. Big open water boats like Ocean Yacht, Viking, Hatteras etc. are in a different league but also a different price point.

I wouldn't focus too much on joystick control. Sure it may be better but good lucking finding one. You want twin screw with a bow thruster. Then docking is easy.

As a first boat buy something that has as broad appeal as possible for future resale. If you like it buy something more specific.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:37 PM
chub2000
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkG123
18 seas 50 knot winds 9 hrs in the dark. Too much good real time reporting weather systems to your avail that was not used. The Coast Guard must love you for that. They refer to these boaters as SMF's.
the report was calling for 10-15kt winds 2-4ft seas...a front came in and quickly changed that. you cant always trust your "weather system"..., but I was 65 miles offshore when it happened.
This could of happened to anyone. fortunately it wasnt during a weekend because a lot of small boats wouldn't have made it home.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:13 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Chub2000

You were fortunate that you were in a Grady White. I've known few larger boats that have gone under, mostly due to poor decisions by the Captain. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

26 years of saltwater is a LOOONG time. I know it's very tempting to look at all that interior and exterior room and then the price and think this type of boat is a deal. The problem is, well, problems. Things are expensive to fix on a boat, especially one kept in the water. Fixes that cost $5K or even $10K aren't out of the ordinary. If you're doing a lot of those then suddenly you've got $80K invested in your $50K boat and it's still old.

Again, when buying used boats it all comes down to maintenance. Period. When I was shopping for my last boat I was shocked at the garbage I walked on that was only 5 years old. And that's in fresh water. Conversely, I sold my last '93 Sea Ray 400EX, a 17 year old boat at the time, very quickly, but it was pristine and for that reason I got premium dollars for it from an educated buyer.

I'm not saying Sea Ray's are all that. It just so happens to be the boats I've landed on over the years. I'd certainly consider many other brands and in fact almost bought a Formula but couldn't make the deal work.

Quick Reply: Anybody here knows about motoryachts?