Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help me pick daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Before you are convinced the AMG is the car for you go drive one and make sure...esp if you said the Cayenne GTS wasn't really fun enough.

The AMG is crazy fast, super comfy, lots of great gadgets...but it's rather boring to drive. For some this is exactly what they want in a DD. I can't take the disconnect myself.

...that said we have an older supercharged W211 E55. It's been surprisingly reliable, Stage III Renntech mods so it goes like stink, but the steering, brakes, everything is soo disconnected it's not really good fun to drive.

Perfect daily for my wife but after a couple years she's even bored with it. We're looking to replace it with an E90 M3.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:42 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M cars are no longer M cars.... only hope is M3/4.

I like the 2012 E63 Wagon and you had a perfect approach about functionality vs SUV.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drl
Just curious - what dont you like about new styling?
Everything but the grill.

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
M cars are no longer M cars.... only hope is M3/4.
The hope is gone Eddie, they're now making an M4 grand coupe sedan thing.

BMW is killing off the M brand, well not BMW, the lawyers and accountants are.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

If its a wagon, may wait for the RS6? not sure if its coming to the states.

If its a DD... power and handling is great, but I absolutely love Audi interiors..... by far better interiors to MB and BMWs.... The ultimate wagon has always been Audis for me....
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
If its a wagon, may wait for the RS6? not sure if its coming to the states.

If its a DD... power and handling is great, but I absolutely love Audi interiors..... by far better interiors to MB and BMWs.... The ultimate wagon has always been Audis for me....
It will be a long wait for the rs6 in the USA...
The only recent hot rod wagons in the USA are cts-v and e63
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

I think US is only getting the RS7, no RS6 .
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Picked up a c63 507. More fun than an e63.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The E63 wagon, I had the RS4 Wagon, they don't import those anymore, I get dizzy with SUV, nowadays we have a 535xit, love the car, but again they stopped importing those.

Wagons are better every day cars, less wind resistance and no rolling motion. I would never buy a Cayene for those reasons.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
They are fugly and an old mans car.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
The headlights are, IMO, are odd and bulbous (I think the SL was ruined with the similar headlights). The lower grille makes the car look like an odd caricature of a sad face.

The less organic and sharp styling of the 2012 had me at a crossroads. I wasnt sure if I liked it. When I saw one with a carbon front lip I knew what was missing and I realized I liked the new styling. I still love the W211 as a classic look, but the first W212 is still very good.

Maybe if the new facelift hadnt changed the upper and lower grilles so much I would be okay with it.

Originally Posted by skxf430
They are fugly
Agreed.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:26 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Before you are convinced the AMG is the car for you go drive one and make sure...esp if you said the Cayenne GTS wasn't really fun enough.
i definitely plan to do just that - good test drive. i didn't drive the cayenne gts. for suv, it is what i would get. i just don't need/want an suv. wagon is a big heavy wagon, but not like suv heavy

Originally Posted by skxf430
They are fugly and an old mans car.
Originally Posted by ScorpionT
The headlights are, IMO, are odd and bulbous (I think the SL was ruined with the similar headlights). The lower grille makes the car look like an odd caricature of a sad face.

Maybe if the new facelift hadnt changed the upper and lower grilles so much I would be okay with it..
see....i've never been into mb. never. never like the old boring design, even on the "sporty" cars. but the NEW design has finally got my attention. i LIKE the emblem on the grill, no goofy emblem on hood, and aggro intakes - and it is this that is keeping me from snatching u one of the few 2012s out there.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Popular "mod" on the 2012 is to remove hood star and mount a flat emblem
Just sayin
The 2012 you are looking at will save you lots o dough and awd is just.... Not needed in SoCal
Old 10-22-2013, 01:13 AM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
see....i've never been into mb. never. never like the old boring design, even on the "sporty" cars. but the NEW design has finally got my attention. i LIKE the emblem on the grill, no goofy emblem on hood, and aggro intakes - and it is this that is keeping me from snatching u one of the few 2012s out there.
I think the huge grille emblem is a bit much, maybe a little ostentatious. I think MB got it right with the CLA63 or CLS63 front ends, not the droopy front on the E class.

I think the W211 was good. Not a clean slate but more an evolution from the W210 (which was too blocky for me).

The new style might just attract the guys who arent normally MB fans, like yourself. Could be the direction they are going.

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
Popular "mod" on the 2012 is to remove hood star and mount a flat emblem
Just sayin
The 2012 you are looking at will save you lots o dough and awd is just.... Not needed in SoCal
Im with you on that. The flat emblem is the way to go, looks much cleaner.

Im still confused on the AWD for the 63. Most people arent going to want or need it in the States, so it should be optional and not standard.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:23 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Try a non-M F10 like the 535 I have. Steering is total crap on it. Transmission is a gem, best non-dual clutch I've ever driven. Other than that the car is fine for a DD / business car that's not too flashy. When lease is up on this one I'll be same dilemma as OP. I've never had an MB and agree with the recent models, they are nice. BMW please find your way again.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
And that prize is now being handed over to BMW. The F10 M cars are a massive disappointment. I've been lucky to drive a couple different variants (my dealer is trying to get me to buy one). Fast in a straight line, 5000lbs...steering is worse than our Odyssey. They are what AMG cars were 10 years ago. Have not driven the E63...but Pobst thinks they rock compared to the Ms.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:23 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Awd allows for a sub 4 sec 0-60 and 11 sec qtr mile - me thinks they are chasing after the rs6 and awd helps their cause... Side benefit is that it is actually probably "safer"...

The 2wd variants are so effortlessly hoonable (590 tq thru 285 rear tires). I live in the rain and you can break the rear tires loose on I5 at highway speed when it's damp.

I of course prefer rwd as if it's really nasty out I drive the truck

Quick Reply: Help me pick daily driver