Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

is the upgrade from .2gt3 to .2rs worth or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 AM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is out there.... highly optioned but no PCM.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=354913685
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kaamacat
Mine is out there.... highly optioned but no PCM.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=354913685
help educate a still newbie when it comes to the 997 GT cars...

I thought that you couldnt have sound package plus without PCM?

OP, sorry for the short highjack
Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
kaamacat
Racer

Sorry....meant to say SportCronoPkg w/o PCM.... I have SPPlus.... I think the registry has all the options listed. (oops)
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 AM
kaamacat
Racer

...but for the OP...some of the more notable differences are the wide-track both front and rear in the RS. Not sure if the CF seats were an option in the GT3, the minor engine differences....gearing is shorter in the RS. RS has the dynamic engine mounts. (Honestly it has now been 3yrs so I've somewhat forgotten the GT3 vs GT3RS stuff). Still amazing how each of the little options add up.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Not worth it for me.

My 10 gt3 is yellow so it's more than loud (looking) for me, and is one pretty car IMO.
I have the DEM, lift, enhanced sound, seat backs in yellow, standard seats, not sport not adaptive. I had autocrossed across the country with the car, but no track.

I don't miss the 15 up of the RS. My car is already too loud, and IMO my seats are perfect.

I love my plain Jane NON-RS
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

I think the biggest thing you notice right away is the single-mass/lighter fly wheel. The engine sounds rougher at idle, and you can hear rattling in the gearbox - and it revs much faster, almost instantly. If you find one with all the lighweight stuff - battery, headlights, PCCB, bucket seats, no lifter - the acceleration is very noticeably different, especially with the shorter gearing. It feels a lot faster around town. Front splitter scraps on everything, even the road. At the track the RS has quite a bit more aero and can run a bit wider tire 265f/335r (18"). When I got mine the delta was much less, and it was worth every penny - it just feels special, and much more of a race car and less of a street car. If you are looking for objective differences, its a lot of little things that amount to diminishing returns for $30K+ - but subjectively this is the closest thing you are going to get to a race car with a warranty from Porsche. And if you look at what they are doing with the 991, this is probably the last 911 with a very strong tie to Motorsport racing for a while.

This stunt really sold it to me....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11005242...at-nurburgring
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Just find one and thanks us later
This.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

And that.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

"I'm going to keep it forever" - famous last words that very infrequently come to fruition.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool worldcars link...never read that. A STOCK 911 RS competes with only normal pits. Thats incredible. Lets see another competing make do the same....

These cars are amazing..
Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think the biggest thing you notice right away is the single-mass/lighter fly wheel. The engine sounds rougher at idle, and you can hear rattling in the gearbox - and it revs much faster, almost instantly. If you find one with all the lighweight stuff - battery, headlights, PCCB, bucket seats, no lifter - the acceleration is very noticeably different, especially with the shorter gearing. It feels a lot faster around town. Front splitter scraps on everything, even the road. At the track the RS has quite a bit more aero and can run a bit wider tire 265f/335r (18"). When I got mine the delta was much less, and it was worth every penny - it just feels special, and much more of a race car and less of a street car. If you are looking for objective differences, its a lot of little things that amount to diminishing returns for $30K+ - but subjectively this is the closest thing you are going to get to a race car with a warranty from Porsche. And if you look at what they are doing with the 991, this is probably the last 911 with a very strong tie to Motorsport racing for a while.

I read somewhere that Le Mans drive was not a very standard car at all.

The specialness of the RS 3.8 is undeniable. You won't get around the first lap without feeling how much more car it is than any other RS and more car than just about any driver will bring game.

I think this is a budget question, so be aware of the real costs to drive a lap in the RS (or any of the wet GT1 engined cars, like your GT3) in terms of coolant lines, cam bolts, intake recall, centerlocks service interval, clutch and pressure plate, and the very real need to run the RS with a cage and aftermarket brakes, plus its appetite for tires and brakes. With $150K replacement cost and any damage will result in severely diminished resale value, you're looking at a high liability on track. I think most track day insurers limit themselves to $100K total claim with a hefty deductible. It's an expensive car to track.

After a decade and a half dozen GT3's, I think think the RS 3.8 is the pick of the bunch, money no object. If you want a road going track car, get a 997.1 GT3 and I defy you or anyone to extract 95%+ of its performance. For a pure track car, get a 996 GT3 or a Cup, if the shoe fits. For a road car, with limited track days, say 10 or less per year, the RS 3.8 is a poor choice at best -- it's noisy and its performance envelope is just too far above road limits.

Personally, I'd rather get Sharkwerks or Manthey to build a hot rod 500hp+ engine rather than pay the premium to get into the RS 3.8.

The grass is always greener. But I'd suggest it's a time in the market when there are many buyers and few sellers -- that's the time to resist competing to be a buyer. With the 991 GT3 just around the corner, the market will surely be cycling forward and more 997's will come onto the market, especially cars that aren't being tracked.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I read somewhere that Le Mans drive was not a very standard car at all.
What I read on monkey's blog is that it was stock except for springs, wheels and tires. Even the cage was the standard motorsports cage that's an option in europe. It's really not hard to imagine that it survived the 24H of Nring.

The cost of running the RS is no more than any other GT3 unless I'm missing something.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want a better track car, you could also just get the 4.0 flywheel and maybe even re-gear your box in your non-RS. You end up with everything but the slightly wider track and big wing and maybe even a better track gearbox, because you can get rid of the wider spacing between each gear. (If I recall, compared to the non-RS the 997.2 RS has a lower 6th gear and a different R&P--so overall gearing is lower, but still has the same "more street friendly" spacing between all the gears except 5-6.) And, unless you are really, really good (I'm not), you will never extract all of the performance of the car. BUT, if you intend on keeping the car and not tracking it much, the RS is a special car and a better collector.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 217 Posts

I did it and have never looked back and NEVER EVER once have regretted it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

IMO, right now is the absolute worst time to buy a 997 RS, from a buyers perspective. Prices will soften once 991's start showing up on showroom floors and in people's garages. Happens every time. Regardless of what you decide, patience will save you $$.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

nope

Quick Reply: is the upgrade from .2gt3 to .2rs worth or not?