My Singer 911 2014 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
I believe they are Singer's own design in carbon
Every single body part of the Singer has been repaced, sans the doors, with Carbon Fiber recreations. That is the body parts that can be replaced!

And the Singer's Intertor is in my top five of Interiors when you take into account Period, Purpose and Function of the car.

It's up there with the Pagani Huayra - remember Period, Purpose and Function here! Both cars are from cometely different eras, Purpose and Function are obvious. One thing is for sure Ferrari is going to have to change, one of the reasons why - on Average an 288 GTO is worth more than an F40 - their Idiom on their Interiors. Can't wait until BBC Top Gear gets that La Ferrari around their track - you know they, Ferrari, will have about 250 engineers helping trying to extract every little ounce out of that car.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 12-01-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
A restored 73RS is $1,000,000.00 plus?
What about a One Owner 73RS with just 1500 miles?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:26 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The "both" answer is the usual choice of investors in any speculative market --you could see it optimistically as participating in the average of both gains, or you could be skeptical and argue that one or both segments will eventually experience an abrupt "correction" or reversion to some more realistic rate of price change. This latter observation is statistically far more likely, while the former is the kind of buoyant exuberance that can continue on for so long (as has been the case for the last three years or so in the stock market) that it's no longer a matter of if, but when, so the job becomes one of timing the inevitable. As they say, prices tend to go up the stairs and come down the elevator (sometimes the vacant elevator shaft.) In the Porsche market, there's no historically significant precedent, nor is there any way of determining the "whys and wherefores" leading to the seemingly inexhaustible demand for a thing that is undefined other than to be in short supply. Which brings me to the observation that when speculators, especially the novices, come into a market en masse, they tend to be called "weak hands" and will likely fold early and often. This weakness will return to the market supply the least appealing cars at the highest prices -- this in turn sours the experience for would-be "greater fools" on two counts: they're getting mediocre cars; and, they're losing value with reports of each successive sale. It can be hard to see while it's happening, but once the time sample becomes long enough, the inflection downwards becomes evident. Will that have been 2014? 2016? That would raise the topic of timing, which is more religion than science. Will this kind of speculator market become cyclical, driven by economics and geared to some other supply-and-demand factor, or will it be a statistical model resembling some other well-documented form of price discovery or market manipulation.
As with the 993 market starting with the turbo s and spreading to almost any and all 993's, and the Carrera GT market, I fear the prime mover is market manipulation. Long term speculators involved in the market as brokers and dealers setting low expectations for private sellers and setting dishonestly high prices to retail or auction buyer with an open-ended time frame to wait for demand at those higher prices. I expect we'll see wider and wider gaps between reported sales and actual, real bids on cars. Sure, we'll see a perfect '73 RS go for a million due to provenance, some special connection to the Porsche family, some unique event in history, and that will buoy some future sales, but then the average millionaire with his '73 RS will try to get $400K and find even that seemingly modest number will not find union of willing buyer and willing seller.
Or so it seems to me.
I came to this thread to look at the pictures of the Singer and found this posting. This spot on analysis should be mandatory reading for anyone who is contemplating the acquisition of an "investment grade" Porsche. I've noticed in the Excellence Buyers Guide that the market values are now being driven by dealer asking prices rather than actual sales. Cars that were selling for $30K a few years ago now have asking prices north of $100K. If and when this balloon bursts it will be a very quick elevator ride to the bottom. Bravo Carrera GT!
Old 12-01-2014, 03:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
What about a One Owner 73RS with just 1500 miles?
Left nut, first born and $2 million u.s should get you into it.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:40 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Awesome! I've got everything but the $2M...
Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

If ever an example existed it would be Auctioned at Bonhams or RM Auctions at Pebble beach, who knows how much it would it go for I wonder.

I just wish it was like the days in the late 60s/70s when you could buy some old rare Ferrari from the adds. Car is $10K and the trailer they hauled the car on is $2K. Not no more - hear stories like that all the time on Wayne Carini's "Chasing Classic Cars"!

Too bad its not like the days when you could buy an old Ferrari in the early 70s for $17K and $2K for the fifth wheel hauler they would use to take the car to the track events and races.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 12-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Too bad its not like the days when you could buy an old Ferrari in the early 70s for $17K and $2K for the fifth wheel hauler they would use to take the car to the track events and races.
I dunno, adjusting for inflation $17k in 1975 works out to $75k today. This car is comfortably within that price range. A nice no-stories car from a reputable seller. You might have some trouble finding a fifth wheel hauler for $8800, though.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
I dunno, adjusting for inflation $17k in 1975 works out to $75k today. This car is comfortably within that price range. A nice no-stories car from a reputable seller. You might have some trouble finding a fifth wheel hauler for $8800, though.
Sure, but that 348 will never have the prestige or value that some of the Ferrari's that came out of the 50's and 60's. An old rare Ferarri that was damaged Racing would get fixed a lot. A lot of those cars would just get junked and the rest would become rare.

But like I said before I would get the last year 512TR because when you take it out to drive it is THE car and makes the biggest statement no matter where you go. Even today practically years on even the new super cars have a tough job making a bigger statement beyond the Testarossa/512TR!

Excuse me writing, it was done on a mobile and I've been having issues.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:35 PM
jdcohenmd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Superquant your car looks amazing, congrats. I just put my deposit down to secure a SVD build. Start date 12/15, anticipate 10 months for completion. Now the long 2 year wait begins.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Singer

Superquant
The singer looks amazing
Can't wait to see it on the road
Old 12-06-2014, 01:07 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Very late to the thread but OH MY GOD is that car BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the pics and especially the video. Enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcohenmd
Superquant your car looks amazing, congrats. I just put my deposit down to secure a SVD build. Start date 12/15, anticipate 10 months for completion. Now the long 2 year wait begins.
Congrats! it goes by fast, just find some other machines to keep you entertained in the meantime!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:07 PM
jdcohenmd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

This one will keep me busy for quite some time.

Last edited by jdcohenmd; 07-12-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:03 PM
StlMikeD
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is really my first post. Hello All, I'm Mike and I live in St Louis.

Jesus Christ this thread is motivating!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Mister ST
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jdcohenmd all you need now are matching 918 and LaF!

Quick Reply: My Singer 911 2014 Restoration