Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Quitters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

It's not cheaper at all, just the penalty for an error is far greater. In the scenario that your accident free and no major mechanical issues, I'd say they are even in terms of expense. But if you get in a minor accident, or something breaks, the cost is not even close.

Again, this is the scenario of the DE events we participated in. We were on the limit of grip, and pack racing 90% of the time. If your a casual DE driver with a decent pace of speed, then it's much cheaper than racing of course.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

I think the difference in repair cost (Track insurance) is offset by all the other costs to be competitive.

Driving a GT3 to the track with track insurance is still one of the best values as the cars need much less to make them track worthy than other cars and the stuff that you do need depreciates less then with other brands, as well as the cars not depreciating much.

Some racecars wont depreciate much but factor in all the extra cost of racing and loss of warranty and per hour of fun a GT3 is hard to beat!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

If you plan on keeping your GT3, then it doesn't matter. My M3 and RS aren't going anywhere, so if I ding them up, I'm not worried about it.

I'd be more worried about the teenager texting, than making a mistake and walling it.

DE's are plenty enough fun for me. I could go racing, but I enjoy the laid back nature of DE. I do it to get away from the tension of work and life, racing adds an element of tension back into the equation that I don't want. Any racer that says it doesn't is lying. Plus, booze and lap dances the night before a race aren't exactly ideal....DE, no big deal, you just sit out the first session.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Mvez, we need to start hanging out.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why are you looking at cup cars then, Peter.

And who says you have to get a race car and actually race it
Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
DE's are plenty enough fun for me. I could go racing, but I enjoy the laid back nature of DE. I do it to get away from the tension of work and life, racing adds an element of tension back into the equation that I don't want. Any racer that says it doesn't is lying. Plus, booze and lap dances the night before a race aren't exactly ideal....DE, no big deal, you just sit out the first session.
that's how i do it too.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm having fun doing the DE's in the Cup Car and get the race itch settled by doing a handful of ChumpCar Races during the year. Next one at Sebring the end of September.

Still have my street GT3 but am looking at maybe selling it in the next two months since I doubt I will be tracking it anymore with the Cup in service. I will at least have Rob to track with in his new Cup ride so I am sure it will continue to be good entertainment.

I hope to see some of you guys at the track at some point.

Stu
Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
So why are you looking at cup cars then, Peter.
And who says you have to get a race car and actually race it
Because the Corvette and 991RS are not out yet :-)

CUP main reason is safety and maybe more fun to drive a bit lighter car without worrying too much about road rash etc. but that's no biggie.
I'm not too worried to ball up a 100K ish car, but the 4.0 was a bit iffy for my income level.

The Rustang I probably don't even load up if I hit a wall.

You have a great point, you can have a race car that costs the same or less to just drive DE. I will just DE, for the next 6 months or so, I'll be glad to just make it to the track at all.

The cheapest way to run DE is give lots of point by's ;-)
Not really an option if you go racing.
Not saying I'll never race but I want to be realistic about the cost.

You also need an additional car to drive every day, truck and trailer, but an RS is a great all in one car.

For now, safer on track, more comfy street car and still spend less.
Its the racing part that's expensive not the race car in my case as I have a trailer and truck anyway for work, but if you factor in transport/team support DE would still be more expensive.

After the whole circle jerk I probably end up with an 3.8RS again, depending on the Corvette and 991RS
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smf32s
I'm having fun doing the DE's in the Cup Car and get the race itch settled by doing a handful of ChumpCar Races during the year. Next one at Sebring the end of September.

Still have my street GT3 but am looking at maybe selling it in the next two months since I doubt I will be tracking it anymore with the Cup in service. I will at least have Rob to track with in his new Cup ride so I am sure it will continue to be good entertainment.

I hope to see some of you guys at the track at some point.

Stu
Go Chump racing full time, I'll take the CUP ;-)
I'd love to partner up for another Chump race, really good fun. Keep me in mind with dates and if there are openings. Maybe I happen to be in town..
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Chump at Sebring for a 14 hour enduro on September 28th. 8AM-10PM. Might have one seat open in our E30. I should know in a day or two if you're really interested and free. Should be around 4 hours of seat time in 2 stints per driver and we will have 4 on the team.

Let me know.

Stu
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

DE group with no cheating was the best time I had. Then it got too competive, and I got caught up in it. Shortly after that people started to go racing route, so the group started to fall apart. I guess nothing lasts forever.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was fun while it lasted. Once it went to slicks and trying to break track records, it changed a bit
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
This for me!!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jenk12m
It was fun while it lasted. Once it went to slicks and trying to break track records, it changed a bit
Your the Arod of the DE Group Jenks. One day it will all come out what you had done to your car.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

PCA Club racing or any other "gentleman" racing is not real racing. It is just a more fun version of DE. There is no stress at club race that you don't create for yourself. In fact, for me, even less stress because there are no idiots out there in the wrong DE group going too slow not giving point-bys. This past June at VIR in the very first practice session I had far lass stress and more fun than I ever had in a DE - open track, pass anywhere anytime and everyone expected it -- if you could do it. Qualifying was a breeze and the race was exciting. The 13/13 rules keeps it safer than Grand Am or ALMS. No one is going to nudge you in the turn to get by you. All in all I am glad to get away from silly DE rules and DE idiots in the wrong group and point-bys and all that other nonsense. And it was fun racing a street car with those 996 Cups. A/C was great with the windows up on grid waiting to be let out on track...

Quick Reply: Quitters