Old 06-05-2013, 03:36 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by franck84
thank you so much for your answers.
yes... so lucky...
your comments are very importants and i study all of those. so thank you. more details :
the 2 side airbargs (seat and door). you can see on the video that the tank door jump in the air before the crash, at the first spin. the 2 glasses exploded.
for sure, i have to learn about this accident that i will invest in security seats, hans, and i think front rollbar. if that happened to every one, as you said, stay in the car, don'y move, and keep your helmet, i'm so lucky haven't got nothing at the head, it could be a desaster because i take away my helmet too quickly.
all this could happened to every one of us, so take care...

my car is a non RS 3.8 GT3, and the chassis was all new, because after my centerlock failure, Porsche changed all the parts just before. so all was new. i saw one video of a friend riding in the same session, it happened exactly the same thing, but very lower, so he just fail the curve after, no more... what meens that there was oil or fluid on the track
Wow, your car look really good after a hard crash. The energy absorption barrier did it's job to minimize car damage. Your right front fender can be easily replaced and inexpensive. I see some dent on the right rear fender which can be tricky. Find a good technician that can pop out the dent from the back as much as possible before body work and paint which will minimize use of bondo (body filler).

We have very little control what happen on the track and good idea to have all the safety equipment as you have mentioned. This kind of incident will happen to most of us that frequent the track ... just matter of time and random chance. Once I hit a patch of dirt and large pool of coolant on the track on the the same day - that was not fun. See 1:04 on video below when I hit dirt and spun wildly and 1:50 when I hit a pool of coolant under hard braking from 135 mph. One GT3 behind me hit the same coolant and went straight off the track and damage his front bumper

Old 06-05-2013, 04:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I spun on that dirt at t5 too. Mike
Old 06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I spun on that dirt at t5 too. Mike
lol

even the mighty red dragon got defeated by lose gravel. Someone spun there right before us. T5 is an off camber turn and any slippage you are gone
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Mikymu,

that spin looked nasty with the other car coming behind you.

Have you ever had a big spin in the Z06?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

yes, i think so. catalunya is a F1 track and the spain grand prix have been 2 weeks before this track day. So i think they have all FIA technologies for protection around the track
It's the difference between circuits in the US vs Europe. Here in the US there are only 2 FIA Grade 1 circuits; Indy Road Course and COTA. Many of our circuits are in need of an upgrade. COTA makes many of them look second hand. Seems like many of the circuits in Europe have been updated to meet the FIA standards for safety including more run off space. With the lack of run off space and my level of experience (modest) Watkins Glen feels like a street circuit.

Glad this accident wasn't severe.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the car got into a pillow fight.

Very good safety barrier.

I lost the brakes back in 06 and hit so hard the hole car was moved left about 2 inches and I wasn't so lucky the barrier was one row of tires followed by a concrete wall. I was dizzy for 2 or 3 months etc... it wasn't pretty but it could of been so much worse especially if I had been strapped in with a harness. Imagine your 10lb head flying sideways while your body is locked in place.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
Mikymu,

that spin looked nasty with the other car coming behind you.

Have you ever had a big spin in the Z06?
I have so many spins in my 7.1 RS and Cup I lost count. Amazing enough my Z06 is 6+ seconds faster than my 7.1 RS and so far not one spin. Super wide stance and tires plus 50/50 weight distribution all contribute to stable ride
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Wow. After first watching the video and then seeing the pictures it's hard to believe that's the same car that was in the accident!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

load was spread over the largest area, if he had hit with one of the cars corners it would have looked different.

Jay
Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Glad to see you are ok.

As others have said == stay in the car unless it's on fire and keep your helmet on.

If oil is on track -- others could also go off.

I think holding your helmet helped.

Q for readers -- if you don't have a Halo seat -- will side nets help?

M
no: nets keep our hands from exiting the car... and getting crushed while rolling... I have seen this at local DE day. The driver was a Cardiovascular surgeon.. the day prior to the event was his last day of operating.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Similar hit with halo/containment seat:

Old 06-09-2013, 04:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Wow, your car look really good after a hard crash. The energy absorption barrier did it's job to minimize car damage. Your right front fender can be easily replaced and inexpensive. I see some dent on the right rear fender which can be tricky. Find a good technician that can pop out the dent from the back as much as possible before body work and paint which will minimize use of bondo (body filler).

We have very little control what happen on the track and good idea to have all the safety equipment as you have mentioned. This kind of incident will happen to most of us that frequent the track ... just matter of time and random chance. Once I hit a patch of dirt and large pool of coolant on the track on the the same day - that was not fun. See 1:04 on video below when I hit dirt and spun wildly and 1:50 when I hit a pool of coolant under hard braking from 135 mph. One GT3 behind me hit the same coolant and went straight off the track and damage his front bumper

was that your park brake at 2:21?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:27 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL
Oops!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

FLA997: That is a bad place to lose control, I think it is the hioghest speed point at RA...what happened ??

Last edited by malmasri; 06-11-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If SC+TC are On then they should save the car from loosing control with the help of ABS, is it correct?

Quick Reply: i crashed my GT3 at 160 mph...