Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

i crashed my GT3 at 160 mph...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 AM
luffe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At all the trackdays I've been (with a 991 and a rented formula car) I've always stopped accelerating a short while after the corner leading onto the longest straight. I am just to risk averse (or too much of a ***** as some would say). I enjoy trying to follow the line, moving brake points further ahead and experiencing the g-forces of driving on the biggest radius trough a corner.

I not a racing driver and will never be one, and events like these reminds me that I'm okay with being a wussy
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
If SC+TC are On then they should save the car from loosing control with the help of ABS, is it correct?
No it is not.

If you had written the same but inserted the word HELP then this would be correct

If SC+TC are On then they should HELP save the car from loosing control with the help of ABS, is it correct?

And the degree of HELP that SC + TC being on can provide varies tremendously given the situation - the HELP can be A LOT or nearly ZERO.

Example (A LOT)
- you are on an on ramp doing 35mph (5mph over the limit)
- you are in control and under constant smooth throttle
- the rear of the car runs over some loose gravel and starts to slide out slightly
- you aren't on a never ending set of marbles but just hit some lose gravel
- your TC + SC would certainly help with near 100% from you losing control in this situation as TC & SC together would likely kill the engine's power momentarily and your SC program with ABS would work hard to prevent the car from rotating

Example (Zero)
- you are entering a brake zone at a very high speed at SPA at 260kph and you run over engine coolant that came out of GT engine that doesn't have the coolant fittings welded
- the car instantly snaps hard left on you and you are now travelling backwards with full brake applied
- there is likely no question that SC + ABS are active and working (preventing lockup)
- at this point you actually don't want to have SC + ABS as you would rather the wheels completely lock up so that you can stop as fast as possible
- so, not only did they not HELP you in this situation you can argue in this example that you would have hit the pillow wrapped barrier at a slightly slower speed without SC and ABS

Counter Argument
- if you want to come back and argue that if SC was on it could have prevented the car from spinning in the first place, even if it hit slippery engine coolant, then I would say come and visit Canada in the winter and I will demonstrate what SC can and cannot do when you mix high speed and low friction together (be it engine coolant or ice - same difference).
Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 AM
almeena58
Racer

Nothing is 100% perfect 997gt3north and I am totally agree that sometimes if you disable SC the car can do better as in off road for example,

my point that the brakes, CL, tires are all seem Okay but the car suddenly went out of control. I think braking with control is much better without, tire grip would be much better than just flying in rounds and hit a wall by the door. frontal crash is safer than side crash.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
FLA997: That is a bad place to lose control, I think it is the hioghest speed point at RA...what happened ??
Some type of brake failure...if you watch vid, you see his double stab at brakes and obviously there was no brakes to be had. At least he did not take other car out...scary stuff.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Franck, your car looks great considering the impact! Hope it's back on track soon. As well as you. That impact would leave me shaken. Glad you're ok.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Makes me want to get a halo for even every day driving!

Glad you were okay... scary.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
was that your park brake at 2:21?
hey, don't make fun of my arthritic knee!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, glad that you are OK. It was always drilled into me that in case something goes wrong or involvement in a crash, stay in the car. Never leave the car until the track marshal's get to you.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That guy (the OP) got out of the car, first of all, and also didn't shut his ignition.
More than a few mistakes in there.
Plus, he's lucky that he was able to get out the car at all, he should have wound up in the passenger side.
Here's how a halo seat works:

Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 PM
froggy47
6th Gear

Good vid of halo seat working.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Wouldn't HANS at least help with lateral movement of the neck? I know Halo is the ideal solution, but HANS might also offer some protection, no?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Wouldn't HANS at least help with lateral movement of the neck? I know Halo is the ideal solution, but HANS might also offer some protection, no?
Simspson/safety solutions hybrid
Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
The NecksGen (DeFnder) adds lateral tethers for side impact protection - the Hans doesn't include that feature.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Wow, I saw this video long time ago and I was shocked, glad you are ok!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad it all worked out.. Great example of the risk we take on the track regardless of the event. Bar, HANS, harness is a must for me. After watching a friend roll and have his hand crushed by the roof, window net...
Boy those tire barriers sure work well.

Quick Reply: i crashed my GT3 at 160 mph...