Warning: GIAC and/or GMG

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning: GIAC and/or GMG

Dear all,

Please be warned on the BAD way they treat their clients. And I have been a long time client who has ordered numerous times.

I bought GMG headers and wanted a reflash for a 4.0 engine. Fast forward, I wanted my local tuner to do a custom tune since my fuel and weather is different. I needed my ECU back in stock form. No they said it couldn't be done. That my ECU was tampered and that it was blank and couldn't be communicated with. I said this was a LIE since my car was running FINE before I shipped the ECU. All I wanted was it it to be put back to stock OR pls give me my stock map in CD form and I would do it. Why lie about the ECU being blank? The original map is my property right? I now will buy a stand alone ECU (Motec or something else)

This is a BAD way to treat clients. And this is after I have bought lots of things and have always promoted them. Deal with them at your own risk. I needed to share this.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not here pointing fingers, but damage to the ECU can happen, and they happen from one time to the next. They don't fail slowly.
Basically telling that your ECU is bricked ?

Why would you buy a stand alone ECU and go thru the trouble to fabricate a wire harness or in case you choose to go with a plug and play set up like Syvecs or Pro-EFI for such a simple solution.
Worst case you would need to buy a new ECU if yours is damaged.
If you need help, let me know and I can check what's wrong with it, at no cost.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:43 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
What a great guy! Kodo's to you.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You can damage an ECU from not having the battery on a charger. 25A minimum with ALL accessories turned off.

This should be a RULE whenever using a PIWIS for longer than 5 min. ESPECIALLY when doing software updates.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

My only dealings w/ GMG was for a catback on my old RS4. They wanted an obscene upcharge for black tips. But the exhaust was awesome and enjoyed it for the length of my ownership of the car.

This isn't the first time I've read negative sentiment about this shop. I see their posts and it appears that they have a top notch high curb appeal shop and the cars they put out are gorgeous.

However imo they're in Orange County and they likely have a high healed client base that allows them to operate in a way that lacks in customer service unless you're dropping serious cash at their shop. Give them a blank check to work on a local GT2 RS and they'll be very nice and accommodating. But if you're an out of town guy who already bought something calling and hassling them after the sale you can forget it. Ain't nobody got time fo dat:

Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Sorry about the OP's experience/issue, but it sounds like there is more to the story/background here... would be good to get GMGs view...

Just another perspective, I'm local, not a high$ customer, and have been treated very well by GMG. They run a top notch shop and facility and have been very flexible and accommodating with my service, maintenance needs.

Originally Posted by Randy M
However imo they're in Orange County and they likely have a high healed client base that allows them to operate in a way that lacks in customer service unless you're dropping serious cash at their shop. Give them a blank check to work on a local GT2 RS and they'll be very nice and accommodating. But if you're an out of town guy who already bought something calling and hassling them after the sale you can forget it.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take eddie up on his offer to check the DME out... It's possible that when putting it into boot mode the local guys bricked it. Pretty easy to do.

And I would be wary of doing a full stand alone in a street car. the ability of a Motec to adapt to changing engine conditions (wear) and environmental conditions isn't as good as your stock DME. Don't get me wrong, you'll likely get more power with a Motec as if you tell it x ignition advance it will hit it.

If you've got the money, go for it, I think ProEfi is another to look at as they may already have a harness ready to go. If not give Apex Speed Technology a call and talk to Neal, they're awesome and have done work on my own cars...

Last edited by Jamie_GT3; 05-31-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

the Youtube link is hillarious !
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Your local guys attempted to tune your ECU before you sent it back to GMG for a stock file?

If that is the case... it sounds like it was bricked by your local guys. However, if nobody touched the ECU before you sent it back to GMG its not easy to say. I would take Eddie up on his offer and get it checked out.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Not here pointing fingers, but damage to the ECU can happen, and they happen from one time to the next. They don't fail slowly.
Basically telling that your ECU is bricked ?

Why would you buy a stand alone ECU and go thru the trouble to fabricate a wire harness or in case you choose to go with a plug and play set up like Syvecs or Pro-EFI for such a simple solution.
Worst case you would need to buy a new ECU if yours is damaged.
Thanks. You're very kind.

Now GMG finally emailed saying the ECU is back to stock!

I just wish we could have gotten to this point with less grief.

I was going to go Syvex but thank God no need.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

just found out about Syvek, looks interesting. Lots of positives from TT (997, GTR, Supra etc...). Full standalone with CAN bus interfacing with factory subsystems and no CEL's is pretty slick. I'm going to talk to Switzer about applications to our cars including flex fuel (E85)
Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you have the situation worked out.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i hate messin' with ECU....
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

'Bricking' ecu's is common and very easy- Eddies advice about the power supply is essential, you need a top notch power supply (not a trickle charger) and a fully charged GOOD battery!

The BMW guys that play with the coding of their vehicles to gain extra/different functions have been 'Bricking' their various ecu's for years lol. With the right equipment (not a flash loader) it is normally recoverable.

Good on Eddie to offer to help.

Glad GMC came through, guess its communication.

Aftermarket ecu's only make sense on full race engines or turbo/supercharged engines, less advantage on NA as the maps and sensor signals don't need to be manipulated by such big margins as when working with high boost.

Jay
Old 06-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
just found out about Syvek, looks interesting. Lots of positives from TT (997, GTR, Supra etc...). Full standalone with CAN bus interfacing with factory subsystems and no CEL's is pretty slick. I'm going to talk to Switzer about applications to our cars including flex fuel (E85)
I wouldn't put too much effort into it. E85 doesn't have enough benefit for n/a cars to deal with all the inconveniences of running it...

I considered it for my 4 liter, but decided against it.

Quick Reply: Warning: GIAC and/or GMG