Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any tips for Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Let's all rent E30's and go back there. Arrive and driver, baller style. Fly in, drive, fly home. No hassle.
Come up with some options for weekends and I would be interested in trying the E30 thing. Let me know.

Tal
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Andrew
Next job for the first time at WGI and in a rented car. Next time, try taking turn in for T6 from one or two widths away from track right. Lots of camber there and it's a faster line. Also coming out of the bus stop, you don't have to go out so far, and try to back in by the access road and hug the curbing until the apex. You really did a nice job on the entry to the bus stop!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
hug the curbing until the apex.
on my car I could not control rear end rotation when I tried to 'hug' it like that, I had to move about 4-5 ft away from curb and it seemed to be much faster there this way. was it an incorrect approach?

I assumed it was due to absence of rear wing so I simply do not have same level of downforce in rear compared to prepped cars so I continued to drive it this way. I was told properly executed line out of bus stop should allow to go flat out all the way to the apex of sweeper and until you have to brake before downhill left turn there, no way I could do that staying hugging to the right. any pointers about that?

I also noticed people really split almost 50/50 in the way how they do that line.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Come up with some options for weekends and I would be interested in trying the E30 thing. Let me know.

Tal
Tal

Let me know if you all work something out as WG is on my bucket list. I could bring da Si and whip up on some Spec E30.

Peter
Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[quoteI assumed it was due to absence of rear wing so I simply do not have same level of downforce in rear compared to prepped cars so I continued to drive it this way. I was told properly executed line out of bus stop should allow to go flat out all the way to the apex of sweeper and until you have to brake before downhill left turn there, no way I could do that staying hugging to the right. any pointers about that?
][/quote]

I'm full throttle out of the bus stop, breath the throttle to let the car settle before turning in, get in by the access road, and hug the curbing until the apex. Definitely not full throttle until the apex. This is the shortest line around the outer loop IMHO. Your oversteer might be about the setup, as there is 10 degrees of camber to hold you in, which is the steepest at WGI.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
get in by the access road
looked at my video - seems to be I was way early there in most laps, turning in way before that road.
well, it will take some time. I hope I will get a chance to get there at least once this season.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Tal

Let me know if you all work something out as WG is on my bucket list. I could bring da Si and whip up on some Spec E30.

Peter
Would be fun for sure.

Tal

Quick Reply: Any tips for Watkins Glen?