Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0 getting passed by a Scion....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I was at that event. Don't remember seeing either of the cars on track, but the scion was parked next to us.

Scion was well driven. The 4.0, not so much. Should have brought a boxster to the track and left the 4.0 under a cover at home if you're so worried that you're only going to parade lap it.

Peter and JP are the ONLY two 4.0's I've seen on track (and seen more than a few at this point) that were driven like they were a 10 year old spec miata
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts
Default What a great DE!!!!

For pure entertainment, the MVP event at COTA was unbeatable. First, we got to drive COTA. Next, we got ongoing advanced driving techniques, including the patented "GT-2 A-Pillar Grab". Then we learned that an important element to driving Flat Out (in your mind) is to be absolutely bat-sh*t crazy. Now we learn Scions are faster than GT3's. People complained about the cost, but on a $$-per-laugh basis, it was a cheap weekend.

Well, gotta go put on my tinfoil hat, and wait for the aliens hiding in the comet to pick me up. They promised to show me the secret Durametric OBDII code that unlocks the extra 200HP....
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

That GT-R clownshoe is a true blue psychopath.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

So the Scion "lost" the motor?
What actually happened? Does anyone know?

Ranger (LRRP)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I haven't been this scorned since my last wife filed divorce proceedings. Yes, that was my 4.0 and that was me driving. Now some facts: Yes, I am new to driving DE's, Just started this year. The 4.0 is a lot of car for me and I am taking advantage of Pro Coaching - Seth Tomas was in my car for 8 of the 12 sessions I drove. I had a hard time learning the track and on Saturday morning I asked Mark to move me from yellow to the novice class. He said he couldn't and that I should stay in yellow. I was very aware that that I was on the slow side of the class and tried to stay out of faster drivers way. I did make good progress over the 3 days. My lap times improved greatly, and in the end,I was very thankful for the experience. In the case of the video shown, I was aware of the Scion behind me and delibertely moved over and slowed to allow him an easy pass. It was also our cool down lap, so I was in no hurry. So, sorry to cause a raucous or embarrass anyone regarding the performance of the 4.0, we all know it's great. I'm just an retired old motorcycle road racer trying to fullfill a dream and be with like minded people. Allan :burnout
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ You sound just like the kind of driver I'd be happy to share the track with. Most of us have "too much car".
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
So the Scion "lost" the motor?
What actually happened? Does anyone know?

Ranger (LRRP)
Holed piston, valve damage, car was tuned but cause isn't clear yet.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good on ya Allans
I agree with consolidated and posted as such previously

If you are having fun - f em
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
^^ You sound just like the kind of driver I'd be happy to share the track with. Most of us have "too much car".
+1. My assumptions were incorrect. I've been jaded by some of the experiences I've had on the track lately. I've seen guys fight tooth and nail from being demoted who just don't get it. That obviously wasn't the case here. Kudos to you for having that car out there, and I apologize if I insulted you, Allan
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Well I haven't been this scorned since my last wife filed divorce proceedings. Yes, that was my 4.0 and that was me driving. Now some facts: Yes, I am new to driving DE's, Just started this year. The 4.0 is a lot of car for me and I am taking advantage of Pro Coaching - Seth Tomas was in my car for 8 of the 12 sessions I drove. I had a hard time learning the track and on Saturday morning I asked Mark to move me from yellow to the novice class. He said he couldn't and that I should stay in yellow. I was very aware that that I was on the slow side of the class and tried to stay out of faster drivers way. I did make good progress over the 3 days. My lap times improved greatly, and in the end,I was very thankful for the experience. In the case of the video shown, I was aware of the Scion behind me and delibertely moved over and slowed to allow him an easy pass. It was also our cool down lap, so I was in no hurry. So, sorry to cause a raucous or embarrass anyone regarding the performance of the 4.0, we all know it's great. I'm just an retired old motorcycle road racer trying to fullfill a dream and be with like minded people. Allan :burnout

Okay... obviously, Seth was driving. That guy's SLOW; we all know that. Nothing to explain here..

Seriously now, good post Allan and keep having fun!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

+1 As I said earlier, these sorts of silly juvenile "kill videos" are just that.

Glad you had fun!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Allan as I see it, you own a 4.0L. How many can say that?
Enjoy your 4.0 as you please.
btw in my book it took testicular fortitude to come forward.
I salute you.

Ranger (LRRP)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car, and you drove a good line. My wife who passed away at the young age of 34 breast of breast cancer 3 years ago, tracked a 600RR race bike thought all of us car guys were pussies you will have that up to speed in no time
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Allan- Actually, I took the original post as a bit of a joke, I don't think anybody meant to insult you. Its a DE, its is absolutely irrelevant who is faster in what car. The DE'ers that want to compete need to focus on TT or racing, not critiquing how you drive. If you were out there with a very capable instructor, learning the line, your car, and MOST importantly, situational awareness while having fun.... well, that's what its all about. Enjoy your car in good health and remember that we're all just envious of your 4.0!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Good on ya Allans
I agree with consolidated and posted as such previously

If you are having fun - f em
Originally Posted by RSRanger
Allan as I see it, you own a 4.0L. How many can say that?
Enjoy your 4.0 as you please.
btw in my book it took testicular fortitude to come forward.
I salute you.

Ranger (LRRP)
+4.0 Good for you Allans, keep doing what you are doing.

Quick Reply: RS 4.0 getting passed by a Scion....