Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

wheel studs.. which ones?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel studs.. which ones?

Looking to purchase a set of wheel studs for my new to me 3.6 gt3 (happy to be back) what size studs should I use? Rennline has a 65mm stud and nut package for $100 while I've seen some longer ones up to $90 for just the studs. Any brand better then the rest? Should I buy spares? Thanks for the help!

-Adam
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I went with the Rennline stud kit. Perfectly happy with it.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
I went with the Rennline stud kit. Perfectly happy with it.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
+1

Peter
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep a couple extra in the glove box
Mine are apex from www.track-studs.com
I have had them on 2 cars with no issues (knock on wood)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

I use track-studs by Apex as they have a nice bullet nose for easy wheel changes

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/th...27-race/Detail
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I keep a couple extra in the glove box
Mine are apex from www.track-studs.com
I have had them on 2 cars with no issues (knock on wood)
Originally Posted by rmag
I use track-studs by Apex as they have a nice bullet nose for easy wheel changes

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/th...27-race/Detail
Me too! They are excellent!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i purchased my studs from CDOC however they did require slight machining before installation...

both my RS porsche have had them installed and they are fantastic. I keep four spares (one for each side) and have yet to need them..

All the above sound good.
Just avoid titanium.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Rennline setup and have been very disappointed as 4 of them have broken! The first one I just assumed was an anomaly as it broke when I was torquing them. It just sheared off when I put a torque wrench on it. The wrench was set to 96 ft/lbs and the stud just gave way like melted butter. Very disconcerting!

When I wrote to Rennline, Tom responded and asked if an impact wrench was used on them. I told him I never use an impact wrench to fully tighten my wheels. I do use one to take the nuts off, and I use it once I have the nuts started by hand, but never to fully tighten the nuts. In other words, maybe 30 or 40 ft/lbs just to snug the wheels up and to save the manual turning of the wrench. Then I tighten them to the torque spec by hand. Usually, this means I get another full or half turn before reaching 96 ft/lbs. This is what happened with the first one that broke. I went around the whole car and got them all snugged up, a couple of them needing a full turn or more to seat, so they were definitely not tight! When I got to this one, I thought I was right at the torque setting and it suddenly felt loose again. Thinking I had hit a burr in the threads, I gave one more tug and it just wilted. Not a sudden crack or pop, but more like taffy.

He apologized and promptly sent me 5 new studs. I replaced just the one that had broken and kept the rest as backups. I did at least one more track day with no issues.

Then, this past weekend, I went to Barber Motorsports Park and after three sessions, I felt a strange vibration. I limped the car into the pits and what did I discover? Three more broken wheel studs?!? Or should I say missing wheel studs. I had limped in with only two lug nuts holding the wheel on!

Tom has been very apologetic and offered me a full refund and he assures me that of the thousands of these they have sold that this is the first time he has heard of an issue like this. In fairness, perhaps I got a bad batch, as all of the ones that broke were on the same wheel (left rear), but I have lost confidence in these and will be removing them.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron in MS
I went with the Rennline setup and have been very disappointed as 4 of them have broken! The first one I just assumed was an anomaly as it broke when I was torquing them. It just sheared off when I put a torque wrench on it. The wrench was set to 96 ft/lbs and the stud just gave way like melted butter. Very disconcerting!

When I wrote to Rennline, Tom responded and asked if an impact wrench was used on them. I told him I never use an impact wrench to fully tighten my wheels. I do use one to take the nuts off, and I use it once I have the nuts started by hand, but never to fully tighten the nuts. In other words, maybe 30 or 40 ft/lbs just to snug the wheels up and to save the manual turning of the wrench. Then I tighten them to the torque spec by hand. Usually, this means I get another full or half turn before reaching 96 ft/lbs. This is what happened with the first one that broke. I went around the whole car and got them all snugged up, a couple of them needing a full turn or more to seat, so they were definitely not tight! When I got to this one, I thought I was right at the torque setting and it suddenly felt loose again. Thinking I had hit a burr in the threads, I gave one more tug and it just wilted. Not a sudden crack or pop, but more like taffy.

He apologized and promptly sent me 5 new studs. I replaced just the one that had broken and kept the rest as backups. I did at least one more track day with no issues.

Then, this past weekend, I went to Barber Motorsports Park and after three sessions, I felt a strange vibration. I limped the car into the pits and what did I discover? Three more broken wheel studs?!? Or should I say missing wheel studs. I had limped in with only two lug nuts holding the wheel on!

Tom has been very apologetic and offered me a full refund and he assures me that of the thousands of these they have sold that this is the first time he has heard of an issue like this. In fairness, perhaps I got a bad batch, as all of the ones that broke were on the same wheel (left rear), but I have lost confidence in these and will be removing them.
That sounds as scary as CL nut getting lose
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Does Rennline provide suggested torque value for the stud installation? Do you remember how much torque you were using when installing the studs?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rennline did not provide a torque value for the studs. They have a hex opening on the end and I didn't go crazy with my Allen wrench. Just what I could muster by hand. I did use thread lock. In looking at the bullet nose versions, how do they install/torque?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Put 2 nuts on the stud and torque on the outside nut..
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Apex pro-studs for me. 81mm.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to this. When and why do you use wheel studs?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Same thing happened to me with Rennline studs last year.... On the track, heard and felt a BANG in a high load corner, then felt a vibration, so I limped in and discovered 3 studs had sheared off. Very scary thinking what woulda/coulda happened if the wheel came off!!

Tom was excellent to deal with on all counts and promptly sent me a complete new set. Ironically he also stated I was the first case he'd heard of in the thousands of set they have sold... But really what else could he say!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel studs.. which ones?