Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   wheel studs.. which ones? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/743914-wheel-studs-which-ones.html)

aero997c2s 03-05-2013 11:02 AM

wheel studs.. which ones?

Looking to purchase a set of wheel studs for my new to me 3.6 gt3 (happy to be back) what size studs should I use? Rennline has a 65mm stud and nut package for $100 while I've seen some longer ones up to $90 for just the studs. Any brand better then the rest? Should I buy spares? Thanks for the help!

-Adam

RSRanger 03-05-2013 11:32 AM

I went with the Rennline stud kit. Perfectly happy with it.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)

85Gold 03-05-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by RSRanger (Post 10274770)
I went with the Rennline stud kit. Perfectly happy with it.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)

+1

Peter

P.J.S. 03-05-2013 11:49 AM

I keep a couple extra in the glove box
Mine are apex from www.track-studs.com
I have had them on 2 cars with no issues (knock on wood)

rmag 03-05-2013 11:49 AM

I use track-studs by Apex as they have a nice bullet nose for easy wheel changes

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/th...27-race/Detail

DJN 03-05-2013 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3 (Post 10274836)
I keep a couple extra in the glove box
Mine are apex from www.track-studs.com
I have had them on 2 cars with no issues (knock on wood)

Originally Posted by rmag (Post 10274838)
I use track-studs by Apex as they have a nice bullet nose for easy wheel changes

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/th...27-race/Detail

Me too! They are excellent!

tcsracing1 03-05-2013 01:21 PM

i purchased my studs from CDOC however they did require slight machining before installation...

both my RS porsche have had them installed and they are fantastic. I keep four spares (one for each side) and have yet to need them..

All the above sound good.
Just avoid titanium.

Byron in MS 03-05-2013 04:13 PM

I went with the Rennline setup and have been very disappointed as 4 of them have broken! The first one I just assumed was an anomaly as it broke when I was torquing them. It just sheared off when I put a torque wrench on it. The wrench was set to 96 ft/lbs and the stud just gave way like melted butter. Very disconcerting!

When I wrote to Rennline, Tom responded and asked if an impact wrench was used on them. I told him I never use an impact wrench to fully tighten my wheels. I do use one to take the nuts off, and I use it once I have the nuts started by hand, but never to fully tighten the nuts. In other words, maybe 30 or 40 ft/lbs just to snug the wheels up and to save the manual turning of the wrench. Then I tighten them to the torque spec by hand. Usually, this means I get another full or half turn before reaching 96 ft/lbs. This is what happened with the first one that broke. I went around the whole car and got them all snugged up, a couple of them needing a full turn or more to seat, so they were definitely not tight! When I got to this one, I thought I was right at the torque setting and it suddenly felt loose again. Thinking I had hit a burr in the threads, I gave one more tug and it just wilted. Not a sudden crack or pop, but more like taffy.

He apologized and promptly sent me 5 new studs. I replaced just the one that had broken and kept the rest as backups. I did at least one more track day with no issues.

Then, this past weekend, I went to Barber Motorsports Park and after three sessions, I felt a strange vibration. I limped the car into the pits and what did I discover? Three more broken wheel studs?!? Or should I say missing wheel studs. I had limped in with only two lug nuts holding the wheel on!

Tom has been very apologetic and offered me a full refund and he assures me that of the thousands of these they have sold that this is the first time he has heard of an issue like this. In fairness, perhaps I got a bad batch, as all of the ones that broke were on the same wheel (left rear), but I have lost confidence in these and will be removing them.

DC640 03-05-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Byron in MS (Post 10275708)
I went with the Rennline setup and have been very disappointed as 4 of them have broken! The first one I just assumed was an anomaly as it broke when I was torquing them. It just sheared off when I put a torque wrench on it. The wrench was set to 96 ft/lbs and the stud just gave way like melted butter. Very disconcerting!

When I wrote to Rennline, Tom responded and asked if an impact wrench was used on them. I told him I never use an impact wrench to fully tighten my wheels. I do use one to take the nuts off, and I use it once I have the nuts started by hand, but never to fully tighten the nuts. In other words, maybe 30 or 40 ft/lbs just to snug the wheels up and to save the manual turning of the wrench. Then I tighten them to the torque spec by hand. Usually, this means I get another full or half turn before reaching 96 ft/lbs. This is what happened with the first one that broke. I went around the whole car and got them all snugged up, a couple of them needing a full turn or more to seat, so they were definitely not tight! When I got to this one, I thought I was right at the torque setting and it suddenly felt loose again. Thinking I had hit a burr in the threads, I gave one more tug and it just wilted. Not a sudden crack or pop, but more like taffy.

He apologized and promptly sent me 5 new studs. I replaced just the one that had broken and kept the rest as backups. I did at least one more track day with no issues.

Then, this past weekend, I went to Barber Motorsports Park and after three sessions, I felt a strange vibration. I limped the car into the pits and what did I discover? Three more broken wheel studs?!? Or should I say missing wheel studs. I had limped in with only two lug nuts holding the wheel on!

Tom has been very apologetic and offered me a full refund and he assures me that of the thousands of these they have sold that this is the first time he has heard of an issue like this. In fairness, perhaps I got a bad batch, as all of the ones that broke were on the same wheel (left rear), but I have lost confidence in these and will be removing them.

That sounds as scary as CL nut getting lose

cfjan 03-05-2013 04:49 PM

Does Rennline provide suggested torque value for the stud installation? Do you remember how much torque you were using when installing the studs?

Byron in MS 03-05-2013 05:08 PM

Rennline did not provide a torque value for the studs. They have a hex opening on the end and I didn't go crazy with my Allen wrench. Just what I could muster by hand. I did use thread lock. In looking at the bullet nose versions, how do they install/torque?

cfjan 03-05-2013 05:12 PM

Put 2 nuts on the stud and torque on the outside nut.. :)

FFaust 03-05-2013 06:32 PM

Apex pro-studs for me. 81mm.

TomGT3 03-05-2013 08:05 PM

New to this. When and why do you use wheel studs?

NVRANUF 03-05-2013 08:35 PM

Same thing happened to me with Rennline studs last year.... On the track, heard and felt a BANG in a high load corner, then felt a vibration, so I limped in and discovered 3 studs had sheared off. Very scary thinking what woulda/coulda happened if the wheel came off!!

Tom was excellent to deal with on all counts and promptly sent me a complete new set. Ironically he also stated I was the first case he'd heard of in the thousands of set they have sold... But really what else could he say!

:cheers: