Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: Responsible Individual Net Worth to own a $100-$150K Car?
$400K
13.87%
$500K
5.78%
$700K
6.36%
$900K
1.16%
$1M +
72.83%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Responsible Net Worth for Owning a $100K-$150K Car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Is this before or after your semi-monthly check?
u are talking about CF, which is different than net worth.
i would say in CA, u need net worth WAY over $1MM. for out of staters, you must heard CA real estate is $, take what you think is $, multiply it by 10, you are just about right.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Well I'd say if you're check to check you may not be in Porsche's target demographic lol.
some chks are VERY big.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll have to retire on the skyrocketing prices of 4.0's.
we must have the same finance prof.

Originally Posted by maroli
There are a lot of variables, but I don't necessarily look at current 'worth', more of what percent of your annual gross income your car purchase is. I have kept car value at around 1/3 of annual gross. So if you're making 100k, you'd get up to a 33k car using my philosophy. I think this is more aggressive than the average non-car person though.
if you in ca, tokyo, taipei, manhanttan, after mortgage, your formula will buy very little porsche... 1/32 model?

Originally Posted by Randy M
Kids are sometimes assets, and sometimes liabilities lol. Same with wives lol
wife=asset. she makes money, i help her use it before they mold. in fact, she's working right now.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
A general guideline my financial adviser uses - the value of all your toys (cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, planes, etc) should be less than 1/2 your annual income.
that implies you have to work forever!

Originally Posted by Quikag
No kidding. It' s a bit frustrating to live well within one's means and then hear all this BS about government hand-outs, forgivness of mortgage principle, etc.

LOL

Originally Posted by carcommander
People will justify whatever the want to.
my thinking too.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Kids gone and I'm spending their inheritance as fast as I can. seriously my net worth is a funny # since most of my money is tied up in commercial RE it doesn't mean a lot. Disposable income is what I use. At 63 years young I have no debt and like it that way.

Peter
commercial RE, best investment. that's my gig.we should talk. MF or retail/office?

my kids are still here, but i already spend their inheritance and i often send them out to sell lemonade to help pay for R6's

Originally Posted by kyrocks
5 kids and 3 Porsches. I'm Greek and financially irresponsible.
impressive.

Originally Posted by Mvez
I'll give 100k if you can double it in a couple years.
i have PM'd you wiring instructions. pls wire your 100k asap.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
... Having a cheap mortgage, no debt and eating the occasional Top Ramen helps. Life is too short to work this hard and not enjoy life. I view the GT3 (and other cars) as an investment in my happiness.
LMAO, cheap mortgage... you just moved to SF bay area. the most stupidly $ area in KA.

really, there's no correct answer to this. just buy what you like and be happy.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LMAO, cheap mortgage... you just moved to SF bay area. the most stupidly $ area in KA.
Ain't that the truth! Just means a few less track days a year and more Top Ramen
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
ncgt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMO

I didn't allow myself to step onto this slippery slope until I was debt free and all foreseeable future needs were met. Kid's college funds, wedding funds, retirement, long term medical , etc paid in full. Zero debt, assets hedged and strong passive income... I enjoy sleeping at night. Also waited to take this step until AFTER I sold my companies. I always felt it was bad optics for employees when the boss / owner was living a flashy lifestyle.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I'll give 100k if you can double it in a couple years.
after taxes in canada it is like nothing anyhow
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

More about disposable income than NW (e.g. NW maybe high and very illiquid so end up with not enough cash to live). If nothing else in your financial life needs to materially change, then go for it. If i had to budget tightly to get it, would probably pass. Too many moving parts to really answer...function of your outlook on life, financial goals, other financial responsibilities, risk tolerance, day to day priorities, stability of future income streams, yadda yadda.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
I would agree normally but with car loans down at 1.49-1.99 it's better to borrow and invest the cash into a return generating fund that then offsets the depreciation on the car.

As to how much you should be worth there are many variables that I think you should consider, marital status, children, projected earning curve, years to retirement.

The entire financial package really needs to be considered so just saying and income of x is really not the answer. Hope this give you reasons to think.
I'm way more conservative than that. Any toy I buy I have to be willing to write off immediately. I literally have to be able to buy it and be able to walk away from it if need be. If I'm worried about residuals and marginal cash flow in, in my mind I can't afford it and I don't buy. If I buy it on a loan that calculation doesn't change- I need to be able to clear the loan immediately if I have to or it doesn't get bought. After all, it's a toy so it's a want, not a need.

In order for me to use it worry free that's the attitude I have going in. Maintenance and insurance costs are also factored in during the purchase decision, not after.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I'm way more conservative than that. Any toy I buy I have to be willing to write off immediately. I literally have to be able to buy it and be able to walk away from it if need be. If I'm worried about residuals and marginal cash flow in, in my mind I can't afford it and I don't buy. If I buy it on a loan that calculation doesn't change- I need to be able to clear the loan immediately if I have to or it doesn't get bought. After all, it's a toy so it's a want, not a need.

In order for me to use it worry free that's the attitude I have going in. Maintenance and insurance costs are also factored in during the purchase decision, not after.
//

Last edited by GSIRM3; 02-28-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
after taxes in canada it is like nothing anyhow
lol, after Obama gets done with us, you guys might have the lower tax rates.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

lol, after Obama gets done with us, you guys might have the lower tax rates.
Now that's not even funny.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

when this type of question arises from time to time, i'm always curious how many high end car enthusiasts - not just P-car, but ferrari, lambo, too - are able to afford these toys and hobbies because they are trust funders or because they were "heir-ed" into it. (i.e. groomed into the family biz and perked with cushy high-paying VP jobs etc.)

hey, i ain't knocking it. i wish i had breaks like that - along with better smarts, more drive and determination, more ambition! - i'm just always curious about the ratio of those who "made" it to those who "inherited" it.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

u are talking about CF, which is different than net worth.
i would say in CA, u need net worth WAY over $1MM. for out of staters, you must heard CA real estate is $, take what you think is $, multiply it by 10, you are just about right.
You must have missed the sarcasm in my reply. This topic is silly. Now trying to answer quantitatively, even more so.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

some chks are VERY big.
Sure they can be but typically living check to check doesn't equal 5 digits a month lol.

commercial RE, best investment. that's my gig.we should talk. MF or retail/office?
Mine as well. All retail now. Office wasn't so great.

Originally Posted by Nick Wong

Very sound advice. The most sound advice in this thread imo. I'm the same way. In my mind financing is for absolute necessities, and even then having the determination to pay that off asap is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
when this type of question arises from time to time, i'm always curious how many high end car enthusiasts - not just P-car, but ferrari, lambo, too - are able to afford these toys and hobbies because they are trust funders or because they were "heir-ed" into it. (i.e. groomed into the family biz and perked with cushy high-paying VP jobs etc.)

hey, i ain't knocking it. i wish i had breaks like that - along with better smarts, more drive and determination, more ambition! - i'm just always curious about the ratio of those who "made" it to those who "inherited" it.
I think this sort of 'curiosity' is why we have who we have as potus, wouldn't you agree?

Originally Posted by Serge944
You must have missed the sarcasm in my reply. This topic is silly. Now trying to answer quantitatively, even more so.
I've never found having a conversation about money or the responsibility that goes with it to be silly.

Anyway, I think this was a good exercise. Looking at the poll and the the prevailing opinion, mine parallels most here.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

answer is simple - - --

if before buying the car you have to do calculations - - or the idea makes you even slightly uneasy - -

stop and save your money

plan for the worst and keep your family secure
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Gold
Kids gone and I'm spending their inheritance as fast as I can. seriously my net worth is a funny # since most of my money is tied up in commercial RE it doesn't mean a lot. Disposable income is what I use. At 63 years young I have no debt and like it that way.

Peter

Mooty

A little of everything. Office, Warehouse flex space, a little retail and apt. Don't really like retail/apt rentals but they just happened. I am small potatoes since my brother and I split the business but my health is 1000% better.

Peter

Quick Reply: Responsible Net Worth for Owning a $100K-$150K Car?