Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: Responsible Individual Net Worth to own a $100-$150K Car?
$400K
13.87%
$500K
5.78%
$700K
6.36%
$900K
1.16%
$1M +
72.83%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Responsible Net Worth for Owning a $100K-$150K Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
then again, could have gone the other way too.

lol, and what if for some reason no one wants to refinance your loan. I mean gosh, its not like thats ever happened before, right?
good point.
1. never over leverage on mortgage
2. if you must, then OVER LEVERAGE. when you are at 150% LTV with $5MM + loans... banks will not foreclose you. they can't write that off. they WILL negotiate with you and you may have to pay down a bit but you may also see 2% interest...... but, that's not a good thing to aim for

"and what happens when CRE rental demand dries up so you can't rent it or sell it? "

ur lingo implies you are in banking or RE?
CRE in vegas is what you described above. ugly. i have seen 9MM prop dropped to 1.7MM in 2 years.
but some CRE are golden. marina, russian hill, pac ht in SF, CRE has never dried up even in 07-09. price stayed put, but didn't drop. of course, with cap around 4% they aren't cheap...

and if EQ hits..... well... you know.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
POSITIVE cashflow.
Never buy a property that does not have a positive cashflow.
RE is location dependent obviously. in your area, the cash on cash play is working. and in your case, if u can get I/O even better. but in SF 75% LTV will not get you positive CF, forget it. at 60%, you MIGHT have a chance. so in this case, you would have to play on appreciation (networth) rather than CF.

not that your play is wrong, but just does'nt work here. i need to move.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lol, and what if for some reason no one wants to refinance your loan. I mean gosh, its not like thats ever happened before, right?
when prices of RE are rising it is easy to refy loans, there are many banks that want to do the refy.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:54 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years ago it was easy to get cash flow here in vegas. Now everyone is late to the party and driving prices way up and inventory is way down due to big money investors buying pocket listings so the average family that wants to buy a house to live in gets screwed badly. I like to represent people who will live in the home even though they are harder to deal with. Over 50% of all transactions in vegas/henderson is still cash deals. Many going to hedge funds and other investors. If anyone wants to jump in I would buy multi-unit apartments. Single family homes are way overinflated here and you can't buy condos with loans and HOAs are keeping investors out even if you have cash. So buying up something like a 12 unit apartment complex in the hood and becoming a slumlord is the way to go right now.

And I paid for my car in full. So I guess I am responsible and yet irresponsible at the same time because I have months where I don't make anything and other months where I could pull in 50k a month or anywhere in between. Being a realtor in a market with no inventory is tough on everyone unless you are really hooked up with the asset managers. Back to the car. I really didn't NEED this car. I just wanted a porsche for over 30 years so I went for it a few months after my 44th birthday. I got no kids unless a pomeranian counts. (don't laugh)
Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
RE is location dependent obviously. in your area, the cash on cash play is working. and in your case, if u can get I/O even better. but in SF 75% LTV will not get you positive CF, forget it. at 60%, you MIGHT have a chance. so in this case, you would have to play on appreciation (networth) rather than CF.

not that your play is wrong, but just does'nt work here. i need to move.
Yea, been looking into buying a rental prop in SF. Liked a 600k condo in SOMA, But with 20 down I can't see how CF can even break even. Mortgage will be around 2k. Place will rent for probably 3k+. So after tax, mortgage and rent probably even out. That still leaves the ridiculous HOAs in the city and prop tax.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Worth

I think it speaks volumes about our collective need to borrow money when the title of the thread refers to owning a car but then all kinds of advice is given about how to leverage this or that to borrow more.

Think about it. You are borrowing money to buy an asset that may or may not appreciate, and then you are taking the cash flow proceeds which are again speculative to finance or lease a car?

Here is how you can tell if you can own (not finance or lease) a 100 k car. If you can write a check for that about and take possession of the title, which means you own the car, then you can afford to own that car.

Now if the question is about financing a car or leasing a car, then we can talk about disposable income.

However I also realize if the only people that drove a porsche owned it free of liens, porsche would not be in business.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
I think it speaks volumes about our collective need to borrow money when the title of the thread refers to owning a car but then all kinds of advice is given about how to leverage this or that to borrow more.

Think about it. You are borrowing money to buy an asset that may or may not appreciate, and then you are taking the cash flow proceeds which are again speculative to finance or lease a car?

Here is how you can tell if you can own (not finance or lease) a 100 k car. If you can write a check for that about and take possession of the title, which means you own the car, then you can afford to own that car.

Now if the question is about financing a car or leasing a car, then we can talk about disposable income.

However I also realize if the only people that drove a porsche owned it free of liens, porsche would not be in business.
+1.

I think I said this in fewer words about 6 pages ago...
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

good point.
1. never over leverage on mortgage
2. if you must, then OVER LEVERAGE. when you are at 150% LTV with $5MM + loans... banks will not foreclose you. they can't write that off. they WILL negotiate with you and you may have to pay down a bit but you may also see 2% interest...... but, that's not a good thing to aim for

"and what happens when CRE rental demand dries up so you can't rent it or sell it? "

ur lingo implies you are in banking or RE?
CRE in vegas is what you described above. ugly. i have seen 9MM prop dropped to 1.7MM in 2 years.
but some CRE are golden. marina, russian hill, pac ht in SF, CRE has never dried up even in 07-09. price stayed put, but didn't drop. of course, with cap around 4% they aren't cheap...

and if EQ hits..... well... you know.
Better yet, borrow it from a small bank (not bac, jpm, wfc, c, usb, pnc, sti, bbt, etc.) that might not have strong capital. Then they almost can't take the hit from a regulatory standpoint - great leverage for the borrower.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

My RE philosophy

1. Buy low sell high. I am not a flipper but buy and hold. I really like to own my properties not the bank.

2. Don't over leverage I don't like more then 50%

3. Location, Location, Location

4. Positive cash flow at 80% occupancy

5. Treat your tenats fairly. By doing this I don't have problems finding new tenants. My occupancy runs right at 100% and never below 80%

Peter
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Guest89
Better yet, borrow it from a small bank (not bac, jpm, wfc, c, usb, pnc, sti, bbt, etc.) that might not have strong capital. Then they almost can't take the hit from a regulatory standpoint - great leverage for the borrower.
small bank charges too high of an interest rate.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:05 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Yea, been looking into buying a rental prop in SF. Liked a 600k condo in SOMA, But with 20 down I can't see how CF can even break even. Mortgage will be around 2k. Place will rent for probably 3k+. So after tax, mortgage and rent probably even out. That still leaves the ridiculous HOAs in the city and prop tax.
condos NEVER work as rental properties. Condo fee kills the deal every time.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I have 1 property besides my house. Honestly I know nothing about this stuff but I bought a vacant lot in downtown Tampa thinking I could make a little money on it in 5-10 years. Well that was 7 years ago and I can't sell it for what I paid for it. The only option I think is to build something on it and rent. It's in a neighborhood right off the Hillsboro river and is Zoned commercial. People have taken older houses and turned them into law offices, medical practice or some just fix the old house and live in it. So I could build what ever I wanted....problem is I don't have the money to build anything.
How would I advertise to find someone to build on this property and then we could share the revenue for rental or if the land and building sold we could share that? Is this even doable?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have 1 property besides my house. Honestly I know nothing about this stuff but I bought a vacant lot in downtown Tampa thinking I could make a little money on it in 5-10 years. Well that was 7 years ago and I can't sell it for what I paid for it. The only option I think is to build something on it and rent. It's in a neighborhood right off the Hillsboro river and is Zoned commercial. People have taken older houses and turned them into law offices, medical practice or some just fix the old house and live in it. So I could build what ever I wanted....problem is I don't have the money to build anything.
How would I advertise to find someone to build on this property and then we could share the revenue for rental or if the land and building sold we could share that? Is this even doable?
Mike

Parterships never work BTDT and got the t shirt several times.

Buying vacant lots, ie non income producing properties, is tough game. You need to double your money in 7 years just to keep even. Like race or track cars it is much better return to buy already built than do it yourself.

Peter
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

wow, how can one have negative networth
well - I thought the girl on his avatar is his wife..and in a sense that - he should be happy to have her..

@mooty: cool avatar too..I want to see him behind the steering wheel..and driving your RS..
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1.

I think I said this in fewer words about 6 pages ago...
+1

Quick Reply: Responsible Net Worth for Owning a $100K-$150K Car?