Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: Responsible Individual Net Worth to own a $100-$150K Car?
$400K
13.87%
$500K
5.78%
$700K
6.36%
$900K
1.16%
$1M +
72.83%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Responsible Net Worth for Owning a $100K-$150K Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

My girlfriend is depreciating in value as she gets older too ................ Must be a link here!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Safe to say you're using cash on cash return as your primary investment criteria?

The premise that it's wise or responsible to put more towards a house and somehow risky or foolhardy to place an emphasis on cars or other toys is based on the conventional wisdom that real estate = appreciating asset and car = depreciating asset. Since this relationship is less certain now, it's more of a values judgment.

You could live in a teepee and drive a Ferrari 250 GTO for all I care.
Yes, cash on cash return is my ONLY criteria.
My analysis of how to spend my money (also as how to live my life) covers cars AND house. All this talk of "if you get fired, lose your job, something bad happens" etc. is covered by the fact that ALL of my big purchases (cars AND houses) are covered with cashflow. I call it "getting to zero". My non-job, passive income monthly net cashflow is equal or greater than all of my monthly obligations (including car payments, house payments, utility bills, food, entertainment, misc. etc). Lose my job. Okay. No problem. I don't actually have one anyway.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Well..yes and no..

1) US Housing prices during the crisis..especially luxury houses..had huge trade offs..I know of one case where the price had to be lowered by 800k to get it sold..this was however in 2009..whether the prices are back up to pre 2008 levels in the US..I dont know..Im not an expert on this. If someone would have bought that house in 2007 and also in 2007 a GT3RS..and selling both in 2009..the Porsche would have been the better investement..

2) Yes, on average a house is appreciating..but even that - I think - will reverse - at least for some houses. Middle classes in Europe and US are eroding..so there will be a consequence in 30 years..normal 911s will also become cheaper..and I dont see miracle that US and EU will be out of the problems in 5 years..

3) but its all about choices..,,isnt it..I would be more happy with an 1Mill house and 5 Porsches..while others would take the prius and buy a bigger 1,5Mill. house..but Mcdonalds is also cheaper then good healthy food..this discussion would never end. I personally would just not advise to buy cars on loan..as you corretly said..since they mostly depreciate..and paying interest for something which is loosing money is..
conversely why pay cash at today's value of money when you can let inflation make the car cheaper with silly lower valuation future dollars while the interest rate is stupid low as to make interest expense almost negligible?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Yes, cash on cash return is my ONLY criteria.
My analysis of how to spend my money (also as how to live my life) covers cars AND house. All this talk of "if you get fired, lose your job, something bad happens" etc. is covered by the fact that ALL of my big purchases (cars AND houses) are covered with cashflow. I call it "getting to zero". My non-job, passive income monthly net cashflow is equal or greater than all of my monthly obligations (including car payments, house payments, utility bills, food, entertainment, misc. etc). Lose my job. Okay. No problem. I don't actually have one anyway.
and what happens when CRE rental demand dries up so you can't rent it or sell it?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

from investments perspective i am not sure it is wise to expect domestic real estate market to improve or even remain the same. when 80% of general population efficiently lowers their standard of living every year for entire last decade i do not think neither home prices nor rents will be able to keep up with (real) inflation.
it is wise to invest into real estate where blue collar population is on the rise. in the USA it is in a steady decline. so, decide for yourself.

for me any car above $50k mark is a stupid toy. i can afford one but despite of how much i am worth i am not spending on another big toy right now. it is better to move money into different sector, medical or pharma, or anything else that still is going steady enough.

just looked at my stuff - RYOIX made exactly 32% since 2/21/12. i did not see any houses in my area to do that.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

conversely why pay cash at today's value of money when you can let inflation make the car cheaper with silly lower valuation future dollars while the interest rate is stupid low as to make interest expense almost negligible?
Fair point..also what you said in your previous post is good and then its fine. I have however a slighty different point of view when it comes to your last post....youre are assuming things that might turn out the other way..european economics in trouble have no inflation anymore..rather the opposite..although many dont want to admit it..

What happens in the US - if consumers simply stop consuming ? (because of other reasons, higher taxes etc) What I wanted to say - even if the US economy shrinks by -10'%..this will noct change anything to a price of GT2RS, F40, or Porsche 904 in the US..there will always be enough richt people outside willing to spend this money (new buyers from China or Russia). But if the economy shrinks by 10% in the US..then one will have a very serious problem of selling a 997 or 991.

What I was trying to say, some cars will very likely loose much less than others..its like with real estate..that you know well. Some (good) locations will always be rented..even if the economy screws up..but for the largest part..

Anyway, were getting to far away from the subject here..lets enjoy our GT3s and GT2s..Im like you..also two 997 GT models..
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by utkinpol
from investments perspective i am not sure it is wise to expect domestic real estate market to improve or even remain the same. when 80% of general population efficiently lowers their standard of living every year for entire last decade i do not think neither home prices nor rents will be able to keep up with (real) inflation.
it is wise to invest into real estate where blue collar population is on the rise. in the USA it is in a steady decline. so, decide for yourself.

for me any car above $50k mark is a stupid toy. i can afford one but despite of how much i am worth i am not spending on another big toy right now. it is better to move money into different sector, medical or pharma, or anything else that still is going steady enough.

just looked at my stuff - RYOIX made exactly 32% since 2/21/12. i did not see any houses in my area to do that.

Fully agree..but dont forget on the other side that richer people are getting richer..so for them as I said before..an F40 will be an F40..prices of these things wont change much.

For the rest I fully agree..what you describe is happening already in a few countries in Europe. Today I read that in the Netherlands housing prices came down by 30% since 2008..and the Netherlands was one of the most stable economies years ago (!). Im not talking about Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal..these countries are in a much worse situation.
But we are all in the same boat - at least the EU and USA...China is sitting in their own boat..what the US and EU loose..they will gain it..
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Fully agree..but dont forget on the other side that richer people are getting richer..so for them as I said before..an F40 will be an F40..prices of these things wont change much.

For the rest I fully agree..what you describe is happening already in a few countries in Europe. Today I read that in the Netherlands housing prices came down by 30% since 2008..and the Netherlands was one of the most stable economies years ago (!). Im not talking about Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal..these countries are in a much worse situation.
But we are all in the same boat - at least the EU and USA...China is sitting in their own boat..what the US and EU loose..they will gain it..
doesn't matter if underlying prices of rental properties go up or down. When they go up, refy at a higher loan value and use tax-free cash to buy another rental property. When real rental property values decrease, take advantage and buy more at depressed prices.
And when the economy is tanking, rental demand goes UP since less percent of households can afford to buy.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

then again, could have gone the other way too.

doesn't matter if underlying prices of rental properties go up or down. When they go up, refy at a higher loan value and use tax-free cash to buy another rental property. When real rental property values decrease, take advantage and buy more at depressed prices.
And when the economy is tanking, rental demand goes UP since less percent of households can afford to buy.
lol, and what if for some reason no one wants to refinance your loan. I mean gosh, its not like thats ever happened before, right?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Below link to BASE represents nearly a 250% increase in the money supply. In other words monetary inflation has been nearly 250% in the last 5 years.

I think this means that $1 in 2007 is worth $.40 today.

Notice any price inflation at the stores? What's the affect on savings?

St. Louis Adjusted Monetary Base (BASE)
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?s[1][id]=BASE
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind a slightly unstable economy, and an A-Hole for a President........it's allowed me to buy a few sweet cars at very favorable prices
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

My wife says my net worth is my car. Rest of it is all hers : (. Mike
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

new avatar - 'bout time.
at least we have our dreams.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
My wife says my net worth is my car. Rest of it is all hers : (. Mike
wow, how can one have negative networth

Quick Reply: Responsible Net Worth for Owning a $100K-$150K Car?