Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bay Area folks - PPI question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Bay Area folks - PPI question

I was thinking of taking a GT3 to "Dawydiak" in SF for a PPI. I found a thread in the forums recommending them so I assume they're competent. Do you guys know if they also do a DME readout?

Also, any other recommendations in the San Mateo area?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 372 Posts

While not in San Mateo, Sharkwerks isn't far. Given their reputation, I'd consider the extra few miles. Not many shops within 100 miles know GT3's like they do.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
While not in San Mateo, Sharkwerks isn't far. Given their reputation, I'd consider the extra few miles. Not many shops within 100 miles know GT3's like they do.
Sharkwerks is near me, but the car for sale is closer to San Mateo. I'm trying to pick a place close to the seller.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to sharky lab... done deal. No funny feelings after.

I had my PPI done at a big and popular "socal gt3 race shop" - They were terrible and i shouldve known but thankfully the car was really clean.

Lesson learned - word of mouth referral and reputation actually matters compared how much a place advertises.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kormaster
Take it to sharky lab... done deal. No funny feelings after.

I had my PPI done at a big and popular "socal gt3 race shop" - They were terrible and i shouldve known but thankfully the car was really clean.

Lesson learned - word of mouth referral and reputation actually matters compared how much a place advertises.
So how much does Sharky charge for a PPI and can they also pull DME readout?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give Alex or Dan a call.. Super nice group of guys and honest (priceless in this industry)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

or Rector/Burlingame; Sonnen/Marin
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

George DeMar @ Rector is awesome.
Thorsten @ cars dwidiak is an x-sonnen Porsche master tech...awesome
Alex @ sharkwerks ...awesome x 2....
Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

So I have a car getting PPI'd right now at a Porsche shop, but they don't have a paint meter nor able to detect body work. Should I go buy one or is there another way to detect bodywork done (other than unusual body gaps and overspray)?

And if anyone has experience using one, what #'s should I be looking for? I know that a repaint should read thicker, but what's the expected range for norm vs. repaint?

And lastly...anyone in the bay area willing to let me borrow it for the weekend or can I just pick one up at the local auto store?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW no paint meter found on O'Reilly. Mind telling me which Porsche shop that is? So that I know if I ever want to do PPI there to get a hold of a paint meter...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

Originally Posted by kormaster
Give Alex or Dan a call.. Super nice group of guys and honest (priceless in this industry)
Don't think Sharkwerks does PPI anymore. Neither does Fletcher Jones.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
So I have a car getting PPI'd right now at a Porsche shop, but they don't have a paint meter nor able to detect body work. Should I go buy one or is there another way to detect bodywork done (other than unusual body gaps and overspray)?

And if anyone has experience using one, what #'s should I be looking for? I know that a repaint should read thicker, but what's the expected range for norm vs. repaint?

And lastly...anyone in the bay area willing to let me borrow it for the weekend or can I just pick one up at the local auto store?
Find a reputable high end detailer in the area they should be albe to put a meter on it to give you concrete answers to your questions.

Good paint meters are $$$, not something easily found either.

Most guys that are good won't need the meter to tell you if a car has had paint work...but for the basis of reporting and documenting it's an absolute must.

I think Auto Concierge (Bob Willis) is in that area. He's One of the best in the country.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

This is actually in the SD area.

A separate question related to logistics. So I plan to partially finance the purchase and the seller also is financing the car. I'm going through PenFed and the seller's lien holder only releases the title once they receive the money. With PenFed, they only issue checks (to me, buyer, seller's lien holder). The seller has indicated that if the lien holder receives a check, it will take them 10 days to process and send out title.

I'm checking out the car this weekend. If everything checks out, I would initiate the process and Penfed will take about 3-5 business days before sending out the check. Once I receive it, I would hand it in person to the seller in addition to my own check for the remaining balance. The question is, is it reasonable or safe to get the car from the seller at that point and wait for his lien holder to send it to me later? The check will be made out to all 3 parties (myself, him, his lienholder) so he won't be able to cash it and not pay off the loan, but he can at least cash my check. I guess the risk is, the lien holder will not get the full payoff and I won't see the title.

What's the best course of action?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

I have a paint meter.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

Is this the white gt3 private seller asking $70k? If it is- i would stay away. Rear right quarter has paint work and i believe this car just had its engine torn apart for rebuild.

Quick Reply: Bay Area folks - PPI question