Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bay Area folks - PPI question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013 | 07:15 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

Originally Posted by Damage
This is actually in the SD area.

A separate question related to logistics. So I plan to partially finance the purchase and the seller also is financing the car. I'm going through PenFed and the seller's lien holder only releases the title once they receive the money. With PenFed, they only issue checks (to me, buyer, seller's lien holder). The seller has indicated that if the lien holder receives a check, it will take them 10 days to process and send out title.

I'm checking out the car this weekend. If everything checks out, I would initiate the process and Penfed will take about 3-5 business days before sending out the check. Once I receive it, I would hand it in person to the seller in addition to my own check for the remaining balance. The question is, is it reasonable or safe to get the car from the seller at that point and wait for his lien holder to send it to me later? The check will be made out to all 3 parties (myself, him, his lienholder) so he won't be able to cash it and not pay off the loan, but he can at least cash my check. I guess the risk is, the lien holder will not get the full payoff and I won't see the title.

What's the best course of action?
Since it sounds like you would be the one to distribute the checks, you can request that the seller allow you to accompany him to the lien holder's office. Once there, you can verify that the car is paid off and therefore not partially owned by the lien holder. Of course you have to factor in the working hours of the office.
If I were you, if he refuses that request, I would just not bother with the purchase, because frankly he has nothing to lose with you tagging along. Just my two cents.
Old 03-14-2013 | 09:19 PM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

Very simple transaction. Have one bank payoff the other and buyer takes ownership of the car the day both parties sign paperwork at buyer's bank. Once seller's bank receive funds for full payoff then his Credit union will release lien to buyer's bank. If i was the buyer I would prefer to take out full loan and have my bank deal with registration just incase seller decide not to give up title or some crazy Sh..t! If this is the same car in SD with recent major engine out rebuild - i wouldn't even touch it for. And i believe this example has paint work
Old 03-14-2013 | 10:35 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

Originally Posted by 88TurbolookCab
Very simple transaction. Have one bank payoff the other and buyer takes ownership of the car the day both parties sign paperwork at buyer's bank. Once seller's bank receive funds for full payoff then his Credit union will release lien to buyer's bank. If i was the buyer I would prefer to take out full loan and have my bank deal with registration just incase seller decide not to give up title or some crazy Sh..t! If this is the same car in SD with recent major engine out rebuild - i wouldn't even touch it for. And i believe this example has paint work
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since he is partially financing and not taking out a loan that covers the entire purchase price of the car, he would not be able to have the bank act on his behalf and deal with the seller/lender.
Old 03-14-2013 | 10:43 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Called penfed. They said they'll handle dealing with the other side since the form they ask the seller to fill out includes the account # and details for the lienholder. I should be able to take the car upon transfer of money and Penfed is ok with the 10 day waiting period as they'll negotiate that transfer.
Old 03-14-2013 | 11:58 PM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

^^^ If you are taking a loan to purchase all you have to do is tell your bank to handle transaction^^^^No need for you to call his credit union
Old 03-15-2013 | 12:49 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

^^^ If you are taking a loan to purchase all you have to do is tell your bank to handle transaction^^^^No need for you to call his credit union
Yup that's what penfed will be doing. First time doing this kind of car buying. I usually buy outright or finance through dealership.
Old 03-15-2013 | 01:46 AM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

All banks in California has in house DMV rep so they will perform all DMV paper work. The day you sign papers at ur bank, the car is legally yours and you will take ownership and drive off. Let's just assume you guys agreed on buy figure of $50k, bank will collect sales taxes and your OTD is or around $55k. Your down payment $40k and finance amount of $15. If he owes less than agreed purchase price then your bank will give him the difference as soon as lien is released to your bank. Or they can send the whole sum to his bank and his bank will give him the difference. I would not give seller a dime out of my pocket. My down payment deff' goes to my bank and let them deal with any $ differences between payoff amount and purchase amount....
Old 03-15-2013 | 01:09 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Also how does one politely decline giving the PPI report to the seller? I paid a decent amount for it...

Last edited by Tracky; 03-15-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2013 | 02:12 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Are you passing on it? If so then tell the seller he or she is welcome to get their own at their own expense or pay you back whatever cost you paid for it. That's what I'd do..

If you're not passing on it, not sure why the seller would want it...
Old 03-15-2013 | 02:18 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
Are you passing on it? If so then tell the seller he or she is welcome to get their own at their own expense or pay you back whatever cost you paid for it. That's what I'd do..

If you're not passing on it, not sure why the seller would want it...
I'm getting the report today. Seller asked yesterday and wanted to have the PPI place release it to him also.

But good advice on what to say.
Old 03-15-2013 | 04:07 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

I'm getting the report today. Seller asked yesterday and wanted to have the PPI place release it to him also.

But good advice on what to say.
F that! you paid for the PPI, screw the seller (he should have to pay too)
Old 03-15-2013 | 04:34 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Ok, so PPI came back. It confirmed there is paintwork done on one body panel. Car is '07 gt3 with almost 28k miles. What should be a reasonable offer price at this point now? There is also 81 ignitions in range 4 that happened (300hrs) prior to current owner's ownership (now at 800hrs) and the engine has been rebuilt.
Old 03-15-2013 | 07:13 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

^ bump!

I think at this point I'll probably back out, but if there's a price point that's still make sense given all the issues, and the seller takes the price, maybe...?
Old 03-15-2013 | 07:17 PM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

^ bump!

I think at this point I'll probably back out, but if there's a price point that's still make sense given all the issues, and the seller takes the price, maybe...?
So i was right... hehe
Old 03-15-2013 | 07:31 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

So i was right... hehe
Thanks! You saved my ***.

Yep. Shame. So PPI shows the following:

Coolant leak
Defect in paint surface on rear quarter indicating repaint
Tiny dent on opposite rear quarter
Range 4 rev with 81 ignitions at 300hrs

The shop is not experienced with detecting body work either so there could be other work done.

I knew about the Range 4 and a prior coolant leak, but that was the reason why the engine was getting rebuilt after they were working on fixing the coolant leak. Looks like it's _still_ leaking. Asked owner about the body work and he replied "nothing I did". Then said he doesn't know of any damage other than what he told me. Then later says Porsche had informed him of it this January and that he had told me about it (he didn't).

He also then says, he called the PPI place and they told him coolant leak is common after rebuilds and to check 200 miles later. I called the PPI place to verify if that actually happen and if that statement is true. They said, "What? no we did not say that. I told him to take it to Porsche to fix and then test for leak again later".

Quick Reply: Bay Area folks - PPI question