Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

lol
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I can confirm…

Went out and snagged the wheels to get a few more pictures (Paver’s note) and to examine closer based on Savyboy’s guidance. I cannot believe I did not see this before – it is plain as day to me now (Thank you again Savyboy!): The tech installed the two rotor retaining screws in the wrong holes! Pictures below. First one shows rotor retaining screw in wrong hole and yes it sticks out over the rotor hat, a noticeable bump. Second picture I am pointing to the proper hole that is indented to allow the rotor retaining screw to fit flush with hat. Third pic shows me pointing to one of two areas on the wheel hub – where I believe the rotor retaining screw “bit” into the wheel hub. Four may show this better.

Dealer said yesterday they will fix this issue. Wonder how the conversation will go tomorrow when I show them the cause is, them? And when I ask for new hubs, rotor hats, and wheels. Do you think I need to replace all these?

Carrea GT: I took off PCCB and went with the Giro’s 13,000 street miles and 8 track days ago and have never had an issue. The black Giro pins are exactly like the red Porsche ones. Just different color. Issue occurred after dealer performed the recall, and now we know rotor retaining screws stick up past the hat due to be installed in wrong holes. So yes, not a CL failure – an improper install. FYI fronts wheels are correct and look great.
Attached Images     
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Dealer techs seem to be real idiots!

When I got my GTS I had the dealer install front LCA and rear toe arms....so much stuff was messed up.

Friend of mine last week had a different local Porsche dealer install GMG sway bars and you want to know how the dealer delt with getting the drop dow links to fit? The dealer didn't use adjustable links they cut the stock links shorter, welded the drop down bar back together and installed them...pre-load was off still and not fitting correctly. On top of that one of the welds broke and my friend was driving around with one side of the sway bar installed. WOW!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Space Coast, thanks for the extra pictures. So, the screw heads made the gouges you are pointing to in the back side of the wheels. That's why I wanted to see more clearly.
Glad it's figured out and I hope they fix it no cost to you. I'm leery of showing up to my dealership with non-OE parts on my car. They seem to always make notes of it on the write-up even when it has nothing to do with the issue I came in for.
Are the extra holes in the hats just for use on a different car? I am looking Brembo Type lll rear hats and they only have two holes for the retaining screws. Hard to mess that up.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
Went out and snagged the wheels to get a few more pictures (Paver’s note) and to examine closer based on Savyboy’s guidance. I cannot believe I did not see this before – it is plain as day to me now (Thank you again Savyboy!):

Dealer said yesterday they will fix this issue. Wonder how the conversation will go tomorrow when I show them the cause is, them? And when I ask for new hubs, rotor hats, and wheels. Do you think I need to replace all these?
Space Coast GT3 - Winner of the honesty and integrity award of the year for being willing to go public and accept the results honorably. I have no idea who you are but I'd trust you with my life.

Depending on a lot of variables, the wheels may be able to be cleaned up with a Scotchbrite pad and reused with no problem, closely examine the inner hub areas. The witness marks on the wheel from the hat retainer screws are cosmetic only. You will want to replace those screws of course.

No doubt, any corner with loose CL's and witness marks on the wheel hubs, the axle hubs and CL nuts must be replaced due to the axial (instead of torsional) stresses imposed on both.

Best of luck, I'm sure they will stand behind you. Thanks for a wonderfully informative thread.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Good thread indeed, I hope they make it right for Space.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Paver: Not sure what the 3 extra holes are for. My only guess is maybe the hats also fit something else.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Default Outcome:

As you may recall I did not have a CL failure after the recall replaced the hubs. Issue was caused by an improper installation of the retaining screws on the rotor hats (and thank you so much again to savyboy, paver, and the feedback everyone). I am happy to report my local dealer took care of me and my GT3 is back home in my garage with all new wheels and components. All at no cost to me. Was absolutely no pushback and dealer was very apologetic. Me now happy.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome....THAT is a good dealer!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been a win/win/win process and final resolution. Everyone got a wonderful education and you wound up only inconvenienced and not out of pocket. Thanks again for sharing and for the honesty!

wootwoot!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Awesome...please name your dealer as this really puts them in a good light. Cheers and enjoy your car!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Throw away the OEM rotor hat retaining screws if you switch to Brembo III rotors. The Brembo hats require bevel headed retaining screws for attachment to the wheel hub. The proper screws will be below flush when installed.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Dealer is Porsche of Melbourne. They were super to deal with and very supportive. Their great response from the moment I took the car back was "we will make this right". They gave me a nice loaner car and called me every day with progress, even just to say where the parts were at in shipment. Mistakes happen and they sure made it right with no pushback.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I had dealers like that near socal....
Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

1. you dont really need the retaining screws.
2. if you must have them, get the OLD retaining screws from 996gt3 or such. they sit flush. the CL screws has a domed head and wont sit right with most aftermarket hats.

Quick Reply: New Center Lock issue