Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Center Lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Center Lock issue

Allow me to start at the beginning and then will appreciate your thoughts.

Two weeks ago dealer performed the recall. Last week I went to pull the wheels to perform a brake fluid flush. Right rear lock was engage and took a great deal off effort to push in, finally got the socket on. Thought it odd the wrench required no mussel at all to loosen the rear CL's. Flushed brakes and properly torqued all wheels. Called the dealer and took the car back in. Tech went to loosen rears and said same thing - wow took no effort at all to loosen rears. Tech inspected. Put them back on, and torqued to 444 lbs. then he used the torque wrench and performed a revers toque to be sure and retighten properly.

Fast forward to yesterday. Drove 120 miles to Sebring for PCA DE. This morning, checked reverse torque and wrench clicked immediately. I loosened and torqued properly to be sure. This morning, went out and drove 5 warm up laps at about 50%. Incident caused us all to come in. Checked wheels. Left rear lock could not be pushed in. Like it was froze in place. Wheel was not very hot. Waited a while and was able to push lock in. Put on torque wrench - and it turned a full quarter turn before torque click. Checked right rear, CL turned about an eight of a turn before it clicked.

Not feeling good I called dealer. Luckily two techs were at track. They felt I should not track but ok to drive home. Will take car in this week so they can investigate. They said their initial thought is the new CL may need some time to seat. I'm not so sure about this.

Anyone else notice their newly replaced CL appearing to loosen or not holding the torque?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

They certainly don't require time to seat.they should be rock solid. The fact that you've retightened on several occasions and are failing to hold tension means there is something seriously wrong... Definitely insist the work be redone, especially considering they have been found loose on a few occasions IMO...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems here on my car. Just came back from Sonoma yesterday with 150 track miles logged. Pins stayed engaged throughout the day and were free to push in and immediately return to flush as required. They still operate normally today. I'll take the wheels off on Monday, recheck torque and report back if I see anything not right. So far, all seems normal.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Better part of valar for this weekend is to not drive on the track. Will report back on the dealers inspection and my request to have Porsche redo the work.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I've had my spline stuck and have to take my spline lock tool and gently pop it with a hammer to getnthe slime lock to push in. This usually happens only after a track day and for,some reason when the center lock nuts have not been disassembled thoroughly cleanled and properly greased.
When was the last time you took the guts out of your center lock nuts and cleaned everything and greased everything per the workshop manual?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
Thanks guys. Better part of valar for this weekend is to not drive on the track. Will report back on the dealers inspection and my request to have Porsche redo the work.
Hopefully they will reimburse you for lost track time too! How stupid of Porsche to do the CL on street cars. It has zero use on the street, just a poseur thing!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else notice their newly replaced CL appearing to loosen or not holding the torque?
Do you have aftermarket brake rotors and/or wheels? If so, post pictures of hub areas of both and I'll show you why the CL's loosened.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by savyboy
Do you have aftermarket brake rotors and/or wheels? If so, post pictures of hub areas of both and I'll show you why the CL's loosened.
I have OZ Challenge wheels and Porsche rotors...please explain.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have OZ Challenge wheels and Porsche rotors...please explain.
Nothing to explain, you are not having a problem.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

From now on, mark the position of your CL nut vs. the wheel when fully torqued with a wax pen. Helps you gauge what changed when and how.

Provided (and it's a big assumption) that the conical area and the innards of the CL nut is properly greased with optimoly what you described shouldn't happen at all. The spline taking excessive effort to push in indicates binding against the wheel hub. It's a pet peeve of mine--that the CL nut CAN and DOES move with the spline mechanism against the wheel hub, until the flanges in the hub "bite" into the splines and cause them to bind.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by savyboy
Ok.....LOL...but I'd still like to know.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Just got home and saw this. Anyway, I did take off the PCCB a year ago and I am running GiroDisk slotted rotors. I never had issue with my original CL's appearing to loosen. About 2 months ago, and since my last track day, I took the guts out of locks and cleaned everything and greased properly. Great idea in marking the nuts and I will get a wax pen.

Savyboy, I must travel on business this week. Soon as I return back I would like to take you up on your offer.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Space Coast...what wheels are you using when you track the car?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

The stock wheels with pilot super sport tires.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

The stock wheels with pilot super sport tires.
thanks..shouldn't be an issue with stock wheels...wonder what Savy knows about the rotors and if and how they might cause this issue.

Quick Reply: New Center Lock issue