Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Driver side rear:
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
....keep the CL and you could be fine like trakcar, savvy and izzone. they are all fast and all no prob.
I've had no personal experience with CL's and to save me the search through the thousands of posts on the subject, what's your (or anyone's) opinion on why some people have issues and some don't?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

I don’t have an answer to that Mike. I know I have been **** and even double **** to clean, lube and torque mine properly. Never had an issue until the dealer performed the recall. Now it seems they do not stay tight. Doesn’t matter if I torque them or the dealer does. They don’t hold torque. I would convert to five lugs. But I feel with my luck the month after I do Porsche will offer new a better solution.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 PM
herrjr
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that this dealer gets the issue resolved! Sad to hear that a recall seemed to have caused this issue...
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

My solution - sold my 997.2 GT3, bought a brand new Boxster S and am gonna buy a race car. Problem solved (at least one of them).
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lewis, Congrats on the Boxster S. Bring it up to AMP, you will have a ball. What "race car" do you have in mind? Allan
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've had no personal experience with CL's and to save me the search through the thousands of posts on the subject, what's your (or anyone's) opinion on why some people have issues and some don't?
some r parts defect
some are user error
it's not a natural sequence installing CLZ, and many ppl take short cuts.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u can complain about porsche should do this or that. but realistically, there are only a few things you can do. let me lay it out for you all.

1. sell the damn car cheap. 3.8RS should be about $60,000. pls let me have first dib.
2. put the 5 lug on if you dont trust CL
3. keep the CL and you could be fine like trakcar, savvy and izzone. they are all fast and all no prob.

none of the above cures it all. but you have three choices. take your pick... i actually am doing all three since i cant decide on anything.
I'll take the car you are selling for 60. If you could please change to 5 lug first I'll give you 65. I won't even expect a full tank of gas or it to be clean.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
I don’t have an answer to that Mike. I know I have been **** and even double **** to clean, lube and torque mine properly. Never had an issue until the dealer performed the recall. Now it seems they do not stay tight. Doesn’t matter if I torque them or the dealer does. They don’t hold torque. I would convert to five lugs. But I feel with my luck the month after I do Porsche will offer new a better solution.
Problem is plain as day. Nothing to do with Porsche. And now you must replace your hubs and CL nuts ASAP, certainly before you go on track!

The hat retention screws are not installed into the countersunk holes in the flange area of the hat.

Look at the hub area of your wheel. See where those hat retention screws screws gouged out the areas? The flat flange area of the wheel was never able to properly seat flat to the hub flange on the car and lock everything together as the engineers had designed it.

And those (non-OE) drive pins, the gouging, show the evidence of a loose wheel.

You dodged a bullet fired from a gun with a U-shaped barrel.

You must now change the hubs of all wheels which have evidence the wheel was not properly seated.

These are the inarguable facts of your situation.

#1 The technician who installed the hats is certainly at fault (for not comprehending he was pulling the pin from a grenade).
#2 The last person who serviced your wheels is at fault. For not having the technical ability to interpret what the parts were screaming to him.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Upon reviewing the pictures again it is also possible the retention screws will not fit into the more countersunk holes on the hats. Not sure if those holes line up with the holes on the axle flange under the hat. If they do, then this is a 100% installer issue, not a hat manufacturer issue. If that is the case, the onus is on Girodic (and ALL aftermarket CL fitment rotor/hat suppliers) to immediately see that end users are notified to immediately check their installations and include some kind of advisory in the rotor/hat boxes.

Whoever installed the hats f*cked up in a way that could have caused you to lose a wheel.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Bingo!

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 03-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

This could have happened...

Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Gulp. Wow. Thank you Savyboy. Think I will keep my appointment with the dealer to see if, or what, they may offer to do to help fix. Meaning replace. Since I am spending money, may just go with 5 lug conversion just to avoid any further potential issues in the future.

Couple questions in this regard if I may. Gong to 5 lug, is it safe to continue using the GiroDisk rotors? Or buy new? For wheels (will do homework) any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
Gulp. Wow. Thank you Savyboy. Think I will keep my appointment with the dealer to see if, or what, they may offer to do to help fix. Meaning replace. Since I am spending money, may just go with 5 lug conversion just to avoid any further potential issues in the future.

Couple questions in this regard if I may. Gong to 5 lug, is it safe to continue using the GiroDisk rotors? Or buy new? For wheels (will do homework) any suggestions?
You have my full and total respect for putting this out there in public. The shops will never fess up to their mistakes and that is what leads to x% (99% in my opinion) of all the problems you read. Thank you for putting this out there as an experience for all to learn from

5-lug will lead to resale issues, unless you plan to keep the car forever AND you have the wheels on and off a LOT, I personally would recommend against it. As many of us know the CL system is just as robust as a 5-lug if properly serviced and maintained.

The holes on the rotors for lugs/drive pins are different diameters, so different hats for sure if you go 5-lug.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:11 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
… As many of us know the CL system is just as robust as a 5-lug if properly serviced and maintained…
this is factually incorrect since the stated position of Porsche is that Centerlock Hubs need to be replaced every 4200 miles if the car sees track use. Where as there is no such maintenance schedule for the 5-Lug system.

How is a stuctural system that needs to be changed more frequently than fluids "robust"?

There is also ample evidence that proper maintenance is difficult and fraught with significant nuance so proper maintenance is unlikely in the common case given it's level of complexity.

Savvyboy and I are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Quick Reply: New Center Lock issue