Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Center Lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:36 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I have no horse in this race as I have an 07 with 5 lugs. Personally I would do whatever made me comfortable. If you are more comfortable with 5 lugs switch. If not stay with CL's. Resell is obviously an issue for most people but you can always convert back. Do whatever allows YOU to enjoy your car. Good luck. If I was looking for a used 10/11 GT3 I would buy a 5 lugger over CL's if that was a choice. That is just me though and many others would probably not. Just my .02 worth.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

95% of the buyers are not on this forum, so CL conversion remains a resell issue.

Dave: 5 lugs hubs in track use have maintenance as well, just not documented.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
95% of the buyers are not on this forum, so CL conversion remains a resell issue.

Agree 100% with you Montoya. Just giving my feelings. RL's obviously not a large majority of GT3 buyers.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Space Coast, any chance you could take some clearer pics of the wheel area that mates to the hat?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Porsche really didn't have a legal option but to prescribe this service regiment.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Let's see, my investment in CL wheels: $7,500

My investment in CL maintenance: $3200

Total cost: $10,700

Conversion to 5 lug: approx $4500 (please correct if wrong)
Sell old CL wheels (50% resale) and buy new five lug: $3250 (two sets)

Total additional cost: $7,750

Replace 5 lugs before resale (keeping all original parts, future expense): $2000

Grand total for the pleasure of CL wheels and then a conversion and back again: over $20,000 give or take.

This is of course my personal situation having fully implemented the CL maintenance (am I the only one???) and investing in two sets of track wheels.
It's never fun to put the green eye shades on and count up your expenses on a track car, but spending this amount to not go any faster is worth shining the light on, both with the cost of CL to be safer (maintenance) or 5 lug conversion to be trouble free safe as it were.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,862 Posts

all parts on these cars have a maintenance schedule - that is understood - I however high doubt the recommendation for 5 lug system would be 4200 miles - also given the longevity and proven reliability of 5 lug systems (way more cars, way more manufactures, way more track/street use and orders of magnitudes(pural) less statistical failures…I would say the comfort factor and reliability of 5-lug systems is well established…the Centerlock systems reliability is at best "tarnished" and admittedly more difficult to use correctly.

4200 miles is a ridiculously short maintenance schedule - Porsche might as well have recommended replacing them on each lap when you come in to check tire temp and pressure…

there is no other major structural component on the car with in even one orders of magnitude of that type of schedule…apparently Porsche feels they have the structural integrity of beer cans - they certainly share design characteristics.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

4200 miles is ridiculous. Who would buy a 991 GT3 if they have this same maintenance schedule up front? Porsche will somehow have to have a reasonable solution for 991 and existing 997's.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Problem is plain as day. Nothing to do with Porsche. And now you must replace your hubs and CL nuts ASAP, certainly before you go on track!

The hat retention screws are not installed into the countersunk holes in the flange area of the hat.

Look at the hub area of your wheel. See where those hat retention screws screws gouged out the areas? The flat flange area of the wheel was never able to properly seat flat to the hub flange on the car and lock everything together as the engineers had designed it.

And those (non-OE) drive pins, the gouging, show the evidence of a loose wheel.

You dodged a bullet fired from a gun with a U-shaped barrel.

You must now change the hubs of all wheels which have evidence the wheel was not properly seated.

These are the inarguable facts of your situation.

#1 The technician who installed the hats is certainly at fault (for not comprehending he was pulling the pin from a grenade).
#2 The last person who serviced your wheels is at fault. For not having the technical ability to interpret what the parts were screaming to him.
Those pics are an indictment. The rotor hat screws are not appropriate (and certainly not factory issue for these parts.) The wear on the pins is not excessive, but they're black (aren't they always red?) and the wear on the working surface of the hat and the wheel should be mint, not scruffy. The surface of the hub looks a bit iffy, too. My car also has twice the amount of grease all over the place.

This doesn't look like a centerlock issue, it looks like it stems from the assembly work and I'd point the first finger of doubt at those hat screws.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
all parts on these cars have a maintenance schedule - that is understood - I however high doubt the recommendation for 5 lug system would be 4200 miles - also given the longevity and proven reliability of 5 lug systems (way more cars, way more manufactures, way more track/street use and orders of magnitudes(pural) less statistical failures…I would say the comfort factor and reliability of 5-lug systems is well established…the Centerlock systems reliability is at best "tarnished" and admittedly more difficult to use correctly.

4200 miles is a ridiculously short maintenance schedule - Porsche might as well have recommended replacing them on each lap when you come in to check tire temp and pressure…

there is no other major structural component on the car with in even one orders of magnitude of that type of schedule…apparently Porsche feels they have the structural integrity of beer cans - they certainly share design characteristics.
Dave, I'm with you, don't get me wrong. You more than anyone here has invested more to rid yourself of the OE CL's, so you justly have a big ax to grind with Porsche over what is a flawed design. I am just making the point that things time out under track conditions. And, to clarify, the 4200 miles are track miles. Any given track day for me that's no more than 200 miles- so that's 21 track days, more like 25- which is more than two seasons for me. You have time out on your Cup Car CL's too- what are they good for- 40 or 80 hours?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,862 Posts

there is no published maintenance schedule that we can find. I'm implemented my own schedule. I agree I have an AXE to grind - as it is with any lover that steals your innocence. I still find 4200 miles to be a silly short period of time on a major structural element.

I'm disappointed with Porsche, plain and simple.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

I'm disappointed with Porsche, plain and simple.
+1000
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
I have no horse in this race as I have an 07 with 5 lugs. Personally I would do whatever made me comfortable. If you are more comfortable with 5 lugs switch. If not stay with CL's. Resell is obviously an issue for most people but you can always convert back. Do whatever allows YOU to enjoy your car. Good luck. If I was looking for a used 10/11 GT3 I would buy a 5 lugger over CL's if that was a choice. That is just me though and many others would probably not. Just my .02 worth.
I cov to five lug
Will sell
If buyer mention CL, I kick him out the door
Plenty CL out there few five lugs
I even have yellow lug nuts
PREMIUM

Seriously car is 135
Convert back and forth is 10 hours and 8000 include $$$$$$ bbs wheels
Why is it so hard
Once y got the wheels the conversion bk and forth is 3000 inc labor
One weekend is 1800 on Hoosiers
300 entry fee
300 hotel
300 fuel
There's no resell issue
U tell me u want CL, five lug, two lug, I CNY for u b4 u taking delivery

Yea disappointed with p car
Scuderia Ferrari here I come
Old 03-03-2013, 03:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Let's see, my investment in CL wheels: $7,500

My investment in CL maintenance: $3200

Total cost: $10,700

Conversion to 5 lug: approx $4500 (please correct if wrong)
Sell old CL wheels (50% resale) and buy new five lug: $3250 (two sets)

Total additional cost: $7,750

Replace 5 lugs before resale (keeping all original parts, future expense): $2000

Grand total for the pleasure of CL wheels and then a conversion and back again: over $20,000 give or take.

This is of course my personal situation having fully implemented the CL maintenance (am I the only one???) and investing in two sets of track wheels.
It's never fun to put the green eye shades on and count up your expenses on a track car, but spending this amount to not go any faster is worth shining the light on, both with the cost of CL to be safer (maintenance) or 5 lug conversion to be trouble free safe as it were.
Lots ppl love CL wheels
Sell high
I'm good at mkt manipulation
I was jailed by sec many yrs.

Oh five lug needs maintenance a lot. I think I need new bearings rear right after LS yesterday.

This adternoon, i plan to convert bk to CL.
will report bk after t hill

Heard grinding
Old 03-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Lots ppl love CL wheels
Sell high
I'm good at mkt manipulation
I was jailed by sec many yrs.

Oh five lug needs maintenance a lot. I think I need new bearings rear right after LS yesterday.

This adternoon, i plan to convert bk to CL.
will report bk after t hill

Heard grinding
That's totally implausible. Nobody ever went to jail for criminal acts in the capital markets. At least not by the SEC.

Quick Reply: New Center Lock issue