Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Center Lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Please do yourself a favor and fully document this. I read the recall letter and in there Porsche says that "they are not aware of any failures........." but we all know that they have had failures and I believe the legal wagons are circling.

I hope this gets sorted as the CL wheels on the Porsche's truly scare me. As an aside, I cannot think of any racing team saying "it's OK for the CL to be a bit loose as it needs to settle in". Argh.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 AM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front driver side CL pin is also stuck/jammed to the CL nut. I'm taking it to the dealer later this week and have them check it out.

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've had my spline stuck and have to take my spline lock tool and gently pop it with a hammer to getnthe slime lock to push in. This usually happens only after a track day and for,some reason when the center lock nuts have not been disassembled thoroughly cleanled and properly greased.
When was the last time you took the guts out of your center lock nuts and cleaned everything and greased everything per the workshop manual?
But the mating area of between the locking pin and the CL nut doesn't need to be greased though.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by edwin814
My front driver side CL pin is also stuck/jammed to the CL nut. I'm taking it to the dealer later this week and have them check it out.

But the mating area of between the locking pin and the CL nut doesn't need to be greased though.
Like I said...greased per the workshop manual.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Bono
Rennlist Member

Space Coast: I have had my 2011 GT3 for a short period of time, and I am one of a few CL owners on these forums that has not thrown in the towel on the design. However, I have done as much work as possible to understand how some have failed, and my opinion is that there is NO room for error in properly greasing and torque. If there is any play at all in how the wheel fits against the hub, this is where the failures are occuring. They have been braking at the base of the threads. The hub is engineered to support hub to wheel contact, but if the actual hollow hub with inside threads is stressed by being asked to support the torque that is created by a loose wheel torqued at any less than the optimal level, they have broken. Your situation sounds absolutely scary to me and I would not track your car if the dealership can't make it right/perfect. My plans for the early part of the season are to continue to track with the CLs, but at the first sight of anything less than perfect mechanics, I will not take any chances. And absolutely No shortcuts, 1) a large torque bar that has been calibrated and can torque up to exactly 444lbs (do not use a torque multiplier to torque), 2) wheels have to be torqued with the car off the ground so you either need help or buy a mechanism that applies the brakes for you while you are on outside of car to torque, 3) print out the greasing procedures and follow them exactly..grease the parts that are supposed to be greased to the proper thickness, and do not grease the parts that are to be left ungreased. Bottom line for me is that I'm losing my patience with the CLs, but haven't yet thrown in the towel. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Space Coast: reporting back from my previous post. Wheels off today, no abnormal wear, no stuck locking pins and no evidence of loosening torque.

Let us know what your dealer finds.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

I have had all these symptoms as well. Loosing torque is scarry to say the least. Savy reviewed my symptoms, and while initially we thought it was an aftermarket wheel, it later occured with stock wheels. I follow the instructions to the letter, so I too am at a loss.

So- I have now done the complete maintenance front and rear, which in addition to the recall, calls for replacing the front hubs and bearings and the centerlock nuts.

Hmmm, curiously the centerlock nuts have a new part number effective in January.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Noticed this change in torque while at the track. Especially if its chilly in the morning and temps increase significantly during the day. Passed it off to heat cycling and change in temp when torquing. I wish there was a specification to accurately and reliably measure the proper length or depth of the hub to check if there is any stretching or elongation. If the hub tension was enough to exceed hub yield strength at some point it could be one explanation for the loss of CL nut torque.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:47 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,862 Posts

friends don't let friends drive with Centerlocks…
Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

u can complain about porsche should do this or that. but realistically, there are only a few things you can do. let me lay it out for you all.

1. sell the damn car cheap. 3.8RS should be about $60,000. pls let me have first dib.
2. put the 5 lug on if you dont trust CL
3. keep the CL and you could be fine like trakcar, savvy and izzone. they are all fast and all no prob.

none of the above cures it all. but you have three choices. take your pick... i actually am doing all three since i cant decide on anything.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

After nearly 5 months of ownership I decided to check my centrelocks today more out of curiosity as I haven't removed my wheels yet. When I bought it in November last, the dealer did a major service as part of the deal. After pulling my caps off, 3 out of the 4 centrelocks weren't locked and I had to click them in to place.

You would have though the dealer would have made sure of this...
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u can complain about porsche should do this or that. but realistically, there are only a few things you can do. let me lay it out for you all.

1. sell the damn car cheap. 3.8RS should be about $60,000. pls let me have first dib.
2. put the 5 lug on if you dont trust CL
3. keep the CL and you could be fine like trakcar, savvy and izzone. they are all fast and all no prob.

none of the above cures it all. but you have three choices. take your pick... i actually am doing all three since i cant decide on anything.
Just to add...
1) If 60k is lowball, I will offer $1 above mooty's offer and sell the 3.8RS to me
2) Convert to 5 lug, sleep at night with peace.. track the car in peace - no more problem.. just a bit lighter in your wallet.. but this forum will make your wallet light
Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
friends don't let friends drive with Centerlocks…
Unless they're Cup car centerlocks you mean.

We're all familiar with your build...
Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bono
Space Coast: I have had my 2011 GT3 for a short period of time, and I am one of a few CL owners on these forums that has not thrown in the towel on the design. However, I have done as much work as possible to understand how some have failed, and my opinion is that there is NO room for error in properly greasing and torque. If there is any play at all in how the wheel fits against the hub, this is where the failures are occuring. They have been braking at the base of the threads. The hub is engineered to support hub to wheel contact, but if the actual hollow hub with inside threads is stressed by being asked to support the torque that is created by a loose wheel torqued at any less than the optimal level, they have broken. Your situation sounds absolutely scary to me and I would not track your car if the dealership can't make it right/perfect. My plans for the early part of the season are to continue to track with the CLs, but at the first sight of anything less than perfect mechanics, I will not take any chances. And absolutely No shortcuts, 1) a large torque bar that has been calibrated and can torque up to exactly 444lbs (do not use a torque multiplier to torque), 2) wheels have to be torqued with the car off the ground so you either need help or buy a mechanism that applies the brakes for you while you are on outside of car to torque, 3) print out the greasing procedures and follow them exactly..grease the parts that are supposed to be greased to the proper thickness, and do not grease the parts that are to be left ungreased. Bottom line for me is that I'm losing my patience with the CLs, but haven't yet thrown in the towel. Good luck and stay safe.
Great right up and I believe part of the answer and cause for concern is written above. In my opinion the hub could NOT have been designed for 444 Lb-Ft of torque as that was not the original specs (don't forget that some hub are failing also). 444 Lb-Ft is such a high number that to get it right is very difficult and don't forget that while torquing the pressure has to be increased and applied smoothly (not bouncing on the torque arm). That is tough to do with these kind of torque numbers.

Secondly, any part that has such loads and is a single point of failure should have as close to a fail proof design as possible. This design does not as the greasing procedure is way more complex with ridiculous tolerances to be workable. The thickness of grease! For crying out loud...........come on.

Apologies for the rant, but please do not mess with the CL as they have failed. Best of luck and I hope a reasonable solution is found :-)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Update on my CL's

Thank you everyone for the great input. Finally back home. Little bit of luck on my side as today is our local dealer's annual tech session for our PCA region. I met with our tech's (two of whom were at the track last weekend). I have appointment to take the car in this week. They, as well as owner of the dealership stated they are committed to fixing my car right, “even if we have to change out every part”. I am remaining optimistic. When I got home this afternoon I pulled the wheels and took a photo’s I will post below.

Discovered a couple of new items: Both rear wheels had to be “tugged” at to come off the hub. Upon inspection, I notice two of the rotor hat pins have abrasion marks or scuffs. Not a deep gouge but definitely more than the typical marks of the wheel being taken off and on. I still think the D___ CL’s loosened and the lock saved my butt. Savyboy, sure welcome your thoughts on these. I am running stock wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Took off my PCCB’s last year and I am running GiroDisk rotors.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Passenger side rear:
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: New Center Lock issue