Received 1,592 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Have it.
Two words: THEY SUCK
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

It's a sad sad day when you know people will soon be driving a 991 GT3 around a track in full Automatic-mode, because using the paddle shifter will be too much work.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
It's a sad sad day when you know people will soon be driving a 991 GT3 around a track in full Automatic-mode, because using the paddle shifter will be too much work.
+1. Regarding the CL, one could hope that solid hubs were developed for the 991 that would could be retrofitted in the 997.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

PDK great for if your SO don't drive a stick-he/she can putter in down in auto-mode and paddle shifting for those who track. Definitely for the purpose of expanding the audience. Not my cup of tea- still prefer a manual. With respect to CL' if it's the same as previous one's- they really suck(if CL same maybe the chrono wart will have a bean counter for track miles). Watching Mooty swap CL wheels- what a pita- total junk. Mike
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Two words: THEY SUCK
Oh come on...you can't honestly say PDK sucks. It works, it's reliable..better than Ferrari F1 tranny I know that. Maybe I think manual sucks cuz I can't physically shift it...that would be wrong...as wrong as you saying PDK sucks.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

All for PDK being an option!! Just not the only option!!... Plain and simple...

For me personally, the motivation for going to the track is to better my skills and work on closing the gap to my pro driving instructor's time... The day I'm within a whisker of his times is the day I stop tracking... There is no prize that warrants going back week after week and reeling off perfect laptimes for me. PDK will just close that gap despite a lack of talent as the art goes out the door and it comes down to taking the same lines and braking at the same points whilst car does the rest...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

I prefer manual, but maybe I can live with PDK if Porsche makes me. I will need a few PDK track days to decide. If I can't live with it I keep my car. It will still have a few more HP and down force than the 991 to overcome speed difference, although in straight line I'm a slow shifter and can barely keep up with a well sorted GTS, so the is no doubt it is faster, but also easier, so that may bore me.

CL's offer no benefits, except for no more broken studs and stripped wheel bolts and no need for a gun that you have to keep charged, but I don't mind them at all. I've seen no issues on the CL's save for the manufacturing defects now corrected with the recall and the user errors on the 510 non RS GT3's. the 991 is all wide body, so maybe there is more to it than just the RS uprights? Both the defect and operator error are Porsches fault because the car did not come with the right tools ($400) and clear instructions.

Another negatives is greasing the nuts, but you don't have to do it each time and if you are careful you can do it bare handed, but I think most of us use gloves to swap wheels.
The benefit is that they look cool and no more broken studs and stripped bolts.

If a no cost option I would still pick CL, but I certainly would not pay more for it. If it would come with 5 lugs that would be fine too.
The danger and difficulty level of dealing with the CL IMHO is greatly overblown, it cost me no more time to swap wheels than 5 lugs. But we already have a challenge between NJGT and myself that he claims to swap 2 sets faster than my one swap that he will lose. I'll try to make it happen as soon as my car is back from the shop.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
All for PDK being an option!! Just not the only option!!... Plain and simple...

For me personally, the motivation for going to the track is to better my skills and work on closing the gap to my pro driving instructor's time... The day I'm within a whisker of his times is the day I stop tracking... There is no prize that warrants going back week after week and reeling off perfect laptimes for me. PDK will just close that gap despite a lack of talent as the art goes out the door and it comes down to taking the same lines and braking at the same points whilst car does the rest...
My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Oh come on...you can't honestly say PDK sucks. It works, it's reliable..better than Ferrari F1 tranny I know that. Maybe I think manual sucks cuz I can't physically shift it...that would be wrong...as wrong as you saying PDK sucks.
Does not suck, that's for sure. I'm only thinking entertainment value. Mike, lets get the terms worked out before I have to accept or decline allocation, you can help me break in the 991 gt3 (wife's car) and then take it over for me when she's fed up with it.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Dallas911Guy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PDK 650hp Evok EVT Turbo S....is boring! Porsche has over engineered all the fun out.

Doctors..have fun driving one r/t to the office.

For me....For Sale. Give me some shakes, bumps, rattles and a clutch. It's a performance race car damn it.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dallas911Guy
My PDK 650hp Evok EVT Turbo S....is boring! Porsche has over engineered all the fun out.

Doctors..have fun driving one r/t to the office.

For me....For Sale. Give me some shakes, bumps, rattles and a clutch. It's a performance race car damn it.
That's kinda like a lightweight GTR, what makes it boring, the softness, AWD or just the PDK?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Just for the record...I'm with you 2 legged guys...PDK shouldn't be the only option.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mike, the "PDK" in question in this thread means "PDK only" and that non-choice SUCKS.

In addition--your situation excepted--the fact that a driver has to be careful not to use TOO much throttle else it picks a different gear than the one he selected, is simply retarded. Retarded! You mention the Ferrari F1 tranny. Put it in 3rd gear and it stays in 3rd gear coming out of T10...whether you use 5% or 50% or 100% throttle. As it should be.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've seen no issues on the CL's save for the manufacturing defects now corrected with the recall and the user errors on the 510 non RS GT3's. .
Again, just because YOU have seen "no issues" does not mean that none exist.

One with a GT2RS has already been pointed out...a near-disaster that was narrowly averted by sheer luck. And zero user error was involved. I suspect more info will be forthcoming about this in the near future.

And where there is one, there are more, in a world that actually does go beyond your personal purview

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 PDK & Centerlock Debate