Northern California DE Cup Thunderhill 3/29-31

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
State Farm says they cover non-competitive DE events
Better get it in writing. My Nevada State Farm policy specifically excludes anything, repeat anything, on a racetrack.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove from LA to Buttonwillow and came back... so tired =) I really wanna go up to Thill.. I understand why you guys get trailer now (on top of many other reasons).

470 miles one way... hmm I know someone is coming from OR? I rack up more miles to go to track these days than to actually drive there. =) Time to get a trailer?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Since this is being held over Easter, my love of my life is making a HUGE sacrifice to trailer down with me! I'm so excited! Plus the first haul with the new (to me) TPD!

Now you guys will have to be on your best behavior- at least around me!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Arrive and drive. Hate trailering. Mike
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Better get it in writing. My Nevada State Farm policy specifically excludes anything, repeat anything, on a racetrack.
I highly doubt ANY insurance company will cover DE

Originally Posted by kormaster
I drove from LA to Buttonwillow and came back... so tired =) I really wanna go up to Thill.. I understand why you guys get trailer now (on top of many other reasons).

470 miles one way... hmm I know someone is coming from OR? I rack up more miles to go to track these days than to actually drive there. =) Time to get a trailer?
Yes, once you get a trailer you won't go back

Originally Posted by montoya
Since this is being held over Easter, my love of my life is making a HUGE sacrifice to trailer down with me! I'm so excited! Plus the first haul with the new (to me) TPD!

Now you guys will have to be on your best behavior- at least around me!
OK, we will be nice to you on the first lap

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Dude! your avitar is gonna get me fired from my job
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

uys-

Previously State Farm did not exclude accidents on tracks....this was clear, and was a recognized benefit of SF. They didn't 'cover' it, per se, but it wasnt excluded by any policy language....However...

I **JUST** received my new State Farm Policy. (Policy Form 9805B, California.)

They have recently changed their policy, which goes into effect your FIRST renewal after January 1, 2013. You have no Liability (ie if you hit/kill/hurt someone else) and they will not pay for you physical damage loss.

This is what the POLICY says:

"There is no coverage for an Insured:

14. For the ownership, maintenance, or use of any vehicle while it is:

b. On a track designed primarily for Racing or High Speed Driving. This exclusion (14.b) does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other that racing, high speed driving, or any type of competitive driving"

There is a similar clause under "Collision/Physical Damages" that excludes damage to the car (this references 19.b):
"There is no coverage for:

19. Any covered vehicle while it is:

b. On a track designed primarily for racing or High Speed Driving. This exclusion (19.b) does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other that racing, high speed driving, or any type of competitive driving"

So, there you have it- State Farm has closed the loophole. IMO this is unequivocal. "High Speed Driving" covers going fast, racing or not- timed or not- competitive or not.

if you have an accident, you will need to prove there was no "high speed driving" going on to be covered. This is not limited to "oh, it only applies for racing or timed events".

Anyone that relies on what an agent TELLS THEM is a moron. Again IMO. (Have them put it in writing then you can sue him personally when the claim is denied.) You have an accident, you will be denied, the agent will maybe lose a customer buy you will lose the car.

Bummed by this discovery... anyone have an alternative explanation, love to hear it.

A

Last edited by adam_; 03-12-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

yup, that's to be expected from state farm or any other insurance company for street cars
Old 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikymu
yup, that's to be expected from state farm or any other insurance company for street cars
"to be expected"????

For the last 40 (?) YEARS they didnt exclude track use! This JUST happened in California 3 months ago.

In fact, there are policy holders who STILL have track coverage! At least until they renew the first time after January 1, 2013...

So while it is easy to say 'it is expected' after they announce a change, the fact is that for many, many years it wasnt 'expected'.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trailers are the best insurance for a street car... And can't wait to see you all at the track soon!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
TypeRS
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep. My cars are covered by SF for DE events until April (I pay quarterly). My SF agent tracks his car too and gave me the heads up on the change. It's unfortunate and wish I went to more events the past year. It also makes me a bit more cautious about bringing a high dollar car out for HPDE without 3rd party track day insurance.

I would not be happy about wadding up a 30K car, much less a 70K car. I think the best thing for now is to use my cheap track car for the most part. Cheaper on consumable wear items and cheaper if there's an off.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboHog
Yep. My cars are covered by SF for DE events until April (I pay quarterly). My SF agent tracks his car too and gave me the heads up on the change. It's unfortunate and wish I went to more events the past year. It also makes me a bit more cautious about bringing a high dollar car out for HPDE without 3rd party track day insurance.

I would not be happy about wadding up a 30K car, much less a 70K car. I think the best thing for now is to use my cheap track car for the most part. Cheaper on consumable wear items and cheaper if there's an off.
spin or off will happen to everyone on the track and that's the risk we take. It's a good idea to inspect your car well before a track event and leave couple seconds on the table for poor man's track insurance.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
i will trailer you for $500 round trip.
oh, right, you are being trailered by us.....
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
I don't think I will be able to make it this weekend. Are you going to be there? I might stop by to say hi Need to save tires for the coming up PCA weekend shoot out
Originally Posted by speedoflight
just buy new set of tires.
did i hear tires?
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I'm having trouble with my registration. I accidentally signed up for Saturday only (student), whereas I meant to sign up for two days. I already signed up for the TT on Sunday. I've emailed ggrregistrar@gmail.com and got a response two days ago saying they would update, however nothing has changed and I've gotten no responses to my follow-up emails.

I realize the admins are doing this on the side and are probably very busy (very appreciative of their time), I just want to make sure I don't miss out because registration fills up.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by entityx
Guys, I'm having trouble with my registration. I accidentally signed up for Saturday only (student), whereas I meant to sign up for two days. I already signed up for the TT on Sunday. I've emailed ggrregistrar@gmail.com and got a response two days ago saying they would update, however nothing has changed and I've gotten no responses to my follow-up emails.

I realize the admins are doing this on the side and are probably very busy (very appreciative of their time), I just want to make sure I don't miss out because registration fills up.

Any suggestions?
No worry, they will take care of it. Give them some time and sometime it take couple days for them to get back to you

Quick Reply: Northern California DE Cup Thunderhill 3/29-31